SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Some companion plants I'm really starting to like...

donrawson
13 years ago

Here are some companion plants which I'm really starting to like. Their foliage complements hostas very well and they've remained in pristine condition all season long. Even right now they still look 110% in spite of the frosts we've had.

The first is Hellebore 'Ivory Prince'. This is a really beautiful plant IMO. The dark green leaves are very nicely marbled. The leaves are also very tough and stiff, showing no signs of damage by garden pests. The leaf petioles are dark red and the early spring flowers are attractive. Ivory Prince seems to grow well in a wide range of light conditions- both in sun and in shade. Here are some pics I took just this evening:

{{gwi:1098941}}

{{gwi:1098942}}

a pic of the flowers which I found on the Internet.

There are two Euphorbias which I've planted this summer which I really like. They complement my hostas well and the foliage is still pristine.

The first is Euphorbia amygdaloides 'Craigieburn'. The plant is very upright and the leaves are dark grey-green.

{{gwi:1098944}}

{{gwi:1098946}}

The second one is Euphorbia x. 'Blackbird' and it's a little darker than 'Craigieburn'.

{{gwi:1098947}}

{{gwi:1098948}}

The Euphorbias are said to be sun-lovers and I'm not sure how much shade they'll take, but I'm going to find out. Someone told me they might throw a lot of seedlings, which I replied by saying that I'd just cut off the flowers. They've grown to a height of 18-24" in my garden and apparently don't have any pests.

Last of all, I have two Deer Ferns which I've just fallen in love with. They're less than a foot tall and cute as a button. The foliage looks flawless all season long, even now in spite of the frosts. I think they're an excellent companion for small hostas.

{{gwi:1098949}}

{{gwi:1098950}}

Let's see pics of some of your favorite companion plants, especially the ones that look good all summer.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus