SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
violetta1976

Will someone talk with me about bulbs?

violetta1976
16 years ago

Hello all,

I've got dual issues going on. First of all, I'm new to the Pacific Northwest. Secondly, I'm new to having outdoor plants (my first balcony). I apologize in advance for the long post, but there's a lot I don't know!

I have four flower boxes that are each 24 inches long, about 6 inches wide, and about 8 inches deep. They're hangin on the lip of the railings on my southeast-facing balcony. All of them have good drainage holes in the bottom.

I planted a layer of tulip bulbs at the bottom of the boxes with about an inch of dirt underneath them, then a layer of crocus bulbs a couple inches above them.

I should mention that I have small boxwood bushes in the center of each box.

Also, I accidentally planted mostly fall crocuses, with only a couple spring crocuses mixed in there. (I'm pretty mad at myself for that.)

What are the odds that I'm actually going to get some tulips in the spring? And how likely is it that the crocus bulbs will give me blooms each fall if I leave them in place? And am I right in thinking that the chance of getting repeat blooms from the tulips are slim to none?

If there is any chance of success with these, can I plant some kind of ground cover in the boxes that will be pretty but won't interfere with the bulb growth each year?

If there isn't much chance of success, is it too late to dig up the bulbs and put them in different, possibly deeper containers? They've been in the ground for less than a week.

Any other tips on planting bulbs in containers that anyone would like to offer?

Thank you. :0)

Comments (16)