SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evonnestoryteller

Plants for Dry Back Edge Garden

evonnestoryteller
15 years ago

I would like planting tips for plants that grow a little taller, perhaps around 2 1/2 to 3 feet, and don't mind the dryness. This area is on the west side and gets middle afternoon to evening sun. The morning sun is blocked by the house and overhead noon sun by the roof overhang.

I have a thin strip of garden in front of the house. I could use some compact shrubbery ideas for anchors. The thing is, most shrubs only blossom for part of the year, and then take up a significant amount of room in a narrow garden.

Last year, those non-cleaning drainage eves were installed on the roof edge. Now the water no longer splashes into the back of the garden. This year however, the back edge closest to the house became very dry. I prefer not to water too much since we have a well.

The bad thing about these no clean eves is that they tend to hold the snow back from falling off the roof. (No one mentioned this since these type of non-blocking/cleaning eves are fairly new. Figures in our climate they have other maintenance issues of having to clean snow off the roof.) I have to get a long broom SOMEWHERE to keep up with it. So far, I have not found those old extending roof cleaners.

I cannot extend my garden outward too much due to the way the snow crashes down when it build up. The avalance makes me fear for my car when backing out. It would smush most shrubbery, etc. The bottom line is, I still have a relatively narrow strip of garden in front.

Comments (26)