SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctreynard

review of quackin' grass nursery--brooklyn, ct

ctreynard
15 years ago

www.quackingrassnursery.com

860-779-1732-- Wayne

Hey, all! Just a note to tell you about my experience at Quackin' Grass Nursery. First off, a HUGE thank you to sedum37 for compiling the list of "best of" new england nurseries. I have discovered many gems from that list, and TRULY appreciate the time, effort, and love spent on the compilation. (my husband, on the other hand, is not so grateful. ;p)

Thanks also to the folks who recently recommended that I go to Quackin' Grass. It was definitely worth it, even this late in the season.

The nursery is fairly large. I honestly went into overload within 15 minutes. Quackin' Grass touts iself as a nursery that sells "Plants for the Collector", and they're not kidding. There is so much to see there, as well as look thru the gardens for more ideas, that I couldn't even wrap my mind around it. The best part is NOT KNOWING what you're looking at. You know, "oh, there's another x, I've seen that everywhere..." (if you show me one more stella d'oro, i'll scream!) It was AWESOME seeing so many plants that I hadn't seen before.

Wayne and Lucille, the owners, are FABULOUS. Down-to-earth and know their stuff. Wayne listened to my all-over-the-map newbie questions and was extremely thorough and patient.

The good news is that they have an on-line catalog of plants that is for the most part, up-to-the-minute on their stock. (as opposed to "yep, we carry that, been out of it since april" or the really awesome "oh, we never got that this year") However, no one is perfect, so double-check by calling.

Catalog is on-line only. Put on your big-girl panties, it's worth the so-called hassle.

One of the great features of this nursery is that they carry the best-of-the-best UCONN intros. For example, Rhodie Hoopla, which I HAD to have.

I saw a TON of plants that I wanted, and tried to pare down the list to "I HAVE to HAVE"...or ones that would fit into the Toyota Corolla (one of the ways I limit myself when shopping...my husband knows he's in trouble when i ask for the keys to the Expedition)

Rhodie Hoopla

Azaela Koromo Shikibu

Syringa Josee

Syringa Lilac Sunday

They were also having a sale, and I have posted the details in a separate post. Plant prices are SUPER-reasonable. This place will be my first pick for picking out fabulous shrubs.

Comments (6)