SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Lots to think about -Long

adellabedella_usa
14 years ago

Hi,

I've spent the last couple of days reading posts. Now I've got a bunch of ideas for planting in my head and I'm having a hard time focusing and trying to decide what I should be planting now and where I want to plant it.

Dh and I just built a new house on a one acre lot in the Tulsa area. The entire outside perimeter of the house has basically been designated as a flower/veggie beds/garden. I'm also planning to have a small fruit orchard and various flowering trees and shrubs. We have an abundant supply of beautiful limestone rocks that I've been hauling out of the debris pile to work into the landscape.

Since a little bit of landscaping was included in the price of the house, I had the landscapers put in a few basic shrubs in front of the house. They also mixed in some Back To Nature in that area so it would be easier for me plant things to fill in later.

I picked up several packages of daffodils, crocus, hyacinths, etc., when they were on clearance last October. I'm finally getting them into the ground. They'll have a late start for this year, but I'm assuming they'll back on schedule when they come up next year.

My next maneuver should probably be to get some dirt in my flowerbeds and get them prepared for growing. This is the tricky part for me. I don't have the time to make compost for this year so I'll probably just have a nursery haul in dirt and Back to Nature unless someone has a better suggestion. I've never read the full details of the lasagna beds, but I've thought about putting cardboard in the bed before I put the dirt down. Weeds aren't a problem yet, but I couldn't really avoid the sod Bermuda so I know I've got that fight coming up.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me in doing all of this stuff, I'd be happy to hear them. I'm not completely new to gardening, but I haven't had this much space before. I enjoy planting and watching things grow and I learn a lot through trial and error.

Thanks,

Adella

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH