SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frank_10b

moving yellow jackets?

frank_10b
16 years ago

Some yellow jackets moved into my summer home, right by the front door. Well I have been able to avoid getting bitten so far but my luck may run out soon. I have heard that they are good for the environment so I dont really want to kill them, what can I do?

Comments (32)

• jackz411
    16 years ago

Depends how big the nest is and how many yellowjackets you have now as well as how much you like them. The nest will only get bigger and the yellowjackets will only become more territorial and ornery. In another month or so the new queenlets will hatch and then they become extremely protective of the nest and you may not be able to get to your door then. Since you are in a subtropical zone the nest can grow very large and have thousands of the buggers.

Also, yellowjackets do not loose their stinger when they sting and each can do so many times and they also bite.

If you feel they are benefical, find a bee-keeper who will relocate the nest. Otherwise they should go. Good luck!

• york_rose
    16 years ago

I don't think a beekeeper will help. Honey bees are easy to move if you know what you're doing.

Yellow jackets???

LOL!

Yes, they are helpful to the environment in their way, largely because they're predators of other insects. Nonetheless, if you can't use your door, how are they helping you?

They are hornets. They are the most aggressive of the hornets.

• Related Discussions

I got a problem. Yellow Jacket nest in my raised row.

Q

Comments (23)
    We have a small canopy over our front door and I noticed a small nest forming. It is a favorite place for flying insects to build a nest. Often it has been wasps, but this year, it was yellow jackets. There is a perennial bed 5ft from the front door. It had not gotten very big yet, less than 6 inches across, my husband just knocked it down with a yardstick and managed to get off without a sting. I anticipate every year there is going to be a nest there, but I was watchful in the spring. This nest started in July and by then I wasn't paying attention. I wonder if there is something organic I can coat the surface of, in those corners where they always start that might discourage them from building? Vinegar? Soap? A spray of garlic/red pepper that would hopefully dry on the surface? But I would imagine it would diminish it's effect in a short amount of time.
    ...See More

Yellow Jackets in my mulch pile

Q

Comments (15)
    I'm dealing with a similar situation. I had some bags of mulch left over from last season. I was sick in the spring, then it got too hot, so I am just now trying to catch up on yard work - weeding, mulching, etc. I threw a bag of new mulch on top of the old mulch and nest thing I knew I was under attack by a swarm of yellow jackets. Only got three stings, though one was up my shorts - not fun! I'm sorting out what to do with the old bags. I see holes in them, so I am guessing that any bag that has holds in it also has yellow jackets in it. I'm glad to hear that they die off anyway, so I don't have to feel too bad about eliminating them. I guess I'll try to rip open the bag from afar with a hard rake, and then hose it down. ?? I'm open for any other suggestions as well... I would really prefer to use the mulch before season - though I may change my tune after I try to tackle the first bag....
    ...See More

hornets & yellow jacket problem

Q

Comments (10)
    The wasps that make those "paper" nests are very beneficial and seldom are aggressive. They like to build nests in my yard tool shed and I have not been bthered by them at all, even though I'm in and out of there several times every day. The yellow Jackets, however, are just mean and ornery, but that may be simply because they like the same stuff we do, sugary drinks in the spring and early summer, and protein later. If you find a Yellow Jacket nest you can put a large glass jar over the entrance at night and those leaving the nest will get trapped in the morning as they try to leave heading toward the light, but that does not eliminate the nest dwellers and the queen will simply lay more eggs to produce more workers. Yellow Jackets probably do have a place in our environment, but like most people "not in my backyard". The single most effective means of control is to place some Sevin around the entrance to the nest so those returning have to walk through it and then will take it into the nest eventually killing all the workers there and the queen.
    ...See More

Beetle mimics yellow jacket, also orb spider

Q

Comments (2)
    Neat pics. Locust Borer (Megacyllene robiniae). Any Goldenrod or Locust trees nearby?
    ...See More
  • bogie
    16 years ago

I would get rid of them. Sorry, but these are what people are more likely to be allergic to out of the wasp family. Even if you aren't allergic, visitors may be. As aggressive as these things can get (experience talking here), I wouldn't take the chance.

I let YJ's live in other areas, and let other wasps live near the door, but I don't let yellow jackets live near a door. And yes, I'm allergic.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

We have a lot of yellow jackets behind the house shutters. Nests next to the back door are destroyed. We just can't let them live there. If they set up house behind a second story shutter, we have nothing against that.

• jackz411
    16 years ago

Yeah, one would need a very experieneced bee-keeper to consider yellowjackets since they become very aggressive. They are the most aggressive of the Vespids.

Every couple years I have a yellowjacket problem. It all depends on just where the nest is located and how large it is and how many yellowjackets in it. Here they always build their nests in inaccessible locations like voids in walls of a house, porch or small building. They are very creative...under a hot tub.

If the nest is getting large and they are going to be in the way, I call the Pest control guy and he puts on the Bee-keeper outfit and has a professional fogger and potent insecticide. He'll fog the nest and remove it and make sure the queen is dead. Once the nest and queen are gone any surviving yellowjackets go away.

One year I missed seeing a nest. By early August there must have been a thousand and one could not get within 10 feet of the nest.

• frank_10b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the yj are in new england and I guess I will not be able to move them. In fact, what I get from all of you is that I should get rid of them. What is the best way to do that? Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

• york_rose
    16 years ago

If you know the opening of the nest and can do it without too much risk to yourself (& if the nest is not yet really large) you can spray the opening with something like RAID. Just check the label to make sure what you buy is approved for use on wasps (yj's and all hornets are a particular group of wasps). Yellow jackets (if that's indeed what they are) always nest in cavities and very often underground. It's not at all unusual for them to take up residence in an abandoned mouse run, or groundhog burrow, etc.

They are less active at night, so your best chance to get most of them without getting stung is to do it as it's getting dark.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Frank, at this time of year you could have a couple of hundred yj's in the nest. I'd hire a professional to do the job. We're about half way through the season here and at end of season a mature nest could contain more than a thousand. If you do it yourself be sure to use a quick knock-down wasp and hornet spray. And be sure to wear protective clothing and especially work goggles to protect your eyes, they'll head straight for your face if they can.
    I have a contract with my exterminator, they will come to remove/kill nests whenever they appear. I wouldn't try it myself unless it was early in the season and I had a clear view of the nest.

• pamcleod
    16 years ago

We had a nasty nest a few years ago, in our horse pasture, which we discovered when we were pounding in fence posts. Yikes. Our friend got 10 stings immediately before he could run far enough. Since the nest was underground, we located it during the day by watching their patterns, then went up at night and put a big tarp over it, securing it with fence posts so they couldn't escape. Before securing the tarp, we poured hot soapy water down the holes. It did the trick. I have since read that using clear plastic will also bake the little buggers.

Maybe on a house you could tape plastic around the nest at night after spraying with soapy water and/or something like RAID?

• jackz411
    16 years ago

Ok Frank, you are in New England. Here is the drill up here: Usually in late April or very early May the new queen will find a spot for her nest. She has her first brood and they begin to keep expanding the nest and feeding the queen and new baby YJ she keeps laying. The nest keeps expanding and she coninues to have more YJ's. They are social wasps and each has a different job to do and they communicate quite well.

It is now late July and if you are in Northern NE that nest could have at least 200 YJ's. If in Southern NE--could be much more.

You can DIY it, but think it over. At this point it might be more prudent and wise to have a pro do it. That is what I would do this time of year. I just paid a pro $65 to get rid of them 2 weeks ago and after seeing how many ( well over 100) and how big the nest was...I was very happy that I did not attempt to do it myself. If it was late May and just a couple YJ's I might DIY...but nearly August, I'd have a pro take 'em out. The potential is just for too many for a DIY to deal with, also the stuff they sell to consumers is rather weak for a good size nest, Good Luck, JK

ps: if you do nothing the nest will become very large, very fast and you just don't want that problem at your front door and they will keep reproducing quickly since it is prime time for that.

• molie
    16 years ago

I second the suggestions to get professional help. Once I dug around a YJ's nest that I didn't see and they attacked. I ran about 100 yds in one direction then towards my front door... and they chased after me into the house! If they get angry, they are merciless. You don't want sometning like that happening to family or freinds.

Molie

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

My husband is a painting contractor and deals with these nests all the time - May, August, or September. The real bee killing spray shoots about 10' - don't mess around with Raid or anything like that - and certainly not hot water. Other advice from him - never spray the stuff *up* towards a nest, the bees will start falling down and will sting until their last gasp. Always deal with a nest at night if at all possible, not only because they're less active, but because they're *in* the nest then.

If you go with a professional exterminator, get a firm quote before you sign on the dotted line. Make sure he's going to remove the nest, not just kill whatever YJs happen to be inside it at any given time.

God luck - DtD

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

Make that ... Good luck! and let's leave god out of this.

• tomakers
    16 years ago

You can use hornet spray, but get the stuff that sprays 20'. It is readily available. Gasoline FUMES will also kill them so fast you wouldn't believe it. I have killed HUGE nests of white faced hornets with only a small cup full of gas. First, don't try using styrofoam, it melts from gas. Second, do it at night. All you need to do is hold the container of gas TIGHTLY against the entrance to the nest. Some will fall out into the container DEAD. The rest are finished. It kills them that fast. You just need the nerve to do it. Or just get the hornet spray, you might have to do it several times to get them all with the spray.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

tomakers you are a brave person, the white faced/bald faced hornets are one of the species that are active 24 hours a day! I'd never take the chance of getting that close to a nest. Yellow jackets tend to be more aggressive than most other hornets in the states, I'd really, really, really, really suggest hiring a professional at this point in the season!

• bogie
    16 years ago

White faced hornets are nasty too. We had a huge nest in the lilacs a couple of years ago. Fortunatel the nest was far enough away from our daily activities that we could wait until cold weather before the Wonderful Spouse would try to take out the nest.

However, the blue jays had a different idea. They waited for a colder day and knocked the nest down - then devoured whatever was in there. I assume it was blue jays - don't know that for certain, but I had seen them scoping it out. I haven't seen a white faced hornet since.

• tomakers
    16 years ago

The nest was on a basketball backboard near our back door, so I had to use a ladder in addition to just the hornets. There was not even ONE around the next day, so they must have all been in the nest. I have killed 3 nests this way so far, but I don't want to get over confident. Actually I hate to kill them as I think they eat pests from the garden. On the other hand, I don't want them bothering my grandchildren. My wife's uncle (about 80 at the time) told me about the gasoline fumes. I have to admit it killed them faster than I ever imagined.

• frank_10b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! This is scary, well baking them is not an option as the patio is shaded all the time. Where they are located is pretty scary, how would I get close enough to put petro up there? Wont the ones not in the nest at the time bite me? Thanks!

• tomakers
    16 years ago

It's just the fumes that kill them. No igniting gasoline. It's probably better to get the hornet spray. The name of it is "shoo fly" hornet and wasp spray. It is in a yellow can with red on top. It will spray about 20' and kill them pretty quick. Good Luck.
    PS - the blue jays eat the larva that remain in the nest. I too have seen this before.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

I've used spectracide quick kill, not so quick, you better be able to run fast! What ever you use read it careful, stand away from where the fumes will get you too, it can make you sick.

We've had skunks dig up and destroy underground nests, if the nest is visible I'd wait awhile and remove it once the wasps are dead. anything eating what is left after spraying will get sick possibly killed from the poison.

Good luck!

• frank_10b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I will try the "shoo fly" yellow can with red top or the spectracide quick kill. I hate to kill them, however they are on the inside porch of my front door and it is getting more dangerious to get in. Wish I had an alternative. Thanks!

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Frank I know what you mean, I hate to kill anything myself but when it comes to me or them...me wins
    Good luck and safe spraying. You may find stragglers around for a day or two so leave the treated nest up and they will die from contact with it.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    16 years ago

Once you get rid of them, it would be great to deter other wasps from settling in the same area.

I have no idea if this fake nest works, but Lee Valley generally sells practical items.

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: Waspinator

• donnamp14
    16 years ago

THANK YOU ALL! I am so glad I logged in today to this site (my fave, although I rarely post, too much of a novice). We have them up under some shingles and we can't get to the hose turn on to water the garden without risking a sting or three... My DH has been spraying them nightly to no avail, even using the stuff recommended here. I just called an exterminator and they will be out as soon as possible, which is Saturday. These things are awful! We probably would have kept spraying. The woman I spoke with said that the stinging insect calls are coming in constantly these last couple of weeks.

Thanks for all your sage advice, as usual.

-Donna

• jackz411
    16 years ago

Yes Donna, it is this time of year when the nests are getting bigger and there will be many more YJ's as they keep reproducing. Under the shingles can be tricky and most Pest guys have the gear to fog them very effectively.

Luckily, my local garden center has a Pest guy and their price is very reasonable.

A few years ago in early-July I noticed a few YJ's coming and going from under the hot tub. I didn't think too much about them. I don't use the tub in the summer so I forgot about them. By mid-August there were hundreds of them coming and going and by early September there were many more. They were coming and going at the rate of 2 per second and it was scary to watch and I should have got rid of them back when I first saw them.

In Nov it was cold and they had all died and we turned the hot tub over on its side. The nest was only 2" high, but it was 3 ft by 3 ft in area. Must have been over 1000 of them at their peak. I have found it is best to get rid of them as early as possible.

Over the last 8 years I have had a perennial problem with YJ's and usually by the time I notice them the nest has become fairly large and the YJ's are ornery. For the 7 previous years I did not have a problem with them. The Pro's have stuff which they don't stock in most stores which is stronger and with a better knockdown ability. As well as fogging machines good for small or large jobs. Of course, you are going to spend a few bucks if you buy what the Pro's use too and my problems with YJ's just does not warrant buying the stuff. Yet.

One can buy the stuff the Pro's use...its just a Google away, Cheers, JK

• donnamp14
    16 years ago

The exterminator came out Tuesday afternoon, and from the looks of things, I have to call him back out today. Good thing it's guaranteed. He must not have gotten much of the nest, because they never really left. There were some Tuesday night, but last night many, many more. I am so glad we went with a professional. What a nasty job! It's way up inside the shingles. He did check to see that none of them made it into the house and cellar.

Jack, thanks for your tale about the 3x3 foot nest. I will be having nightmares about that for a long time to come! ;)

-Donna

• jackz411
    16 years ago

Yeah Donna call him back for more. Under shingles is a tough location. The key is to physically remove the nest and the queen. Good luck, JK

• magickiwi
    16 years ago

This is what a friend of mine wrote to another forum - it was refering to ground bees - but others subsequently posted and said it worked for wasps etc too. Here is her post and it supports Tomakers posts.

"I called a little mom and pop outfit and they could do it right way, but the guy (he was so nice) said that if I wanted to do it myself, it was easy. Said I did NOT want toget stung. He absolutely guaranteed that I would not get
    stung. He told me to go out after dark with a flash light. He said there would be 2 guards at the entrance of the nest and if they started to fly, to extinguish the light and they would go back down, they do not fly in the dark. He said to pour a quart of gasoline down the hole. At this point I started to protest because the nest was right by the foundation of my house and I didn't want to burn it down.
    He said "You are NOT GOING TO LIGHT IT, all you are going to do it pour in the gasoline, then leave". Which is exactly what I did, and boy, he was 100% correct. No stings, and no more ground bees. Easy as pie."

• tomakers
    16 years ago

I really don't think you would need that much gas to do the job. But, maybe better safe than sorry. It is the fumes that kill them. I used no more than a few ounces of gasoline to do in a nest of the white faced ones that was probably as big as a basketball and a half. Of course, in the ground, as YJs are, it is hard to tell how big the nest is, but if I remember right gasoline fumes are heavier than air and should flow down into the nest. I want to mention that I had on plenty of clothing, a ski mask, gloves, and ski goggles the first time I did it.

• york_rose
    16 years ago

Pouring gasoline into the ground contaminates it with a nasty pollutant. That's the sort of thing about which the EPA will take a very dim view, and rightly so.

• tomakers
    16 years ago

"That's the sort of thing about which the EPA will take a very dim view, and rightly so."

Only if you tattle.

:-) I know it's serious.

• frank_10b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I believe that the MTBE in petro is very bad for ground water. However, I dont think that I will use gas as the YJ are in the top of the porch right inside under the gutter. There is not much chance that I will be able to put gas up there and live.