SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gnhelton

I got a problem. Yellow Jacket nest in my raised row.

gnhelton
11 years ago

Itis really quite sad. Yellow jackets from what I just read are pretty good hunters, and I'm glad that my garden is organic enough that they want to build a nest there.

BUT, they got to go. Really fortunate we didn't get hit today. My daughter and I were planting some peppers when I told her oh look, a yellow jacket. And there is another one. Then I got to looking around and could see a little swarm. I had my knee either on or next to their opening. I think they will get more aggressive as the summer moves on. And I also understand this is a little early for them to be out.

As a kid I got ate up by them once helping my dad clear a new fence row in the woods. Got popped 6 times in 1 eye along with other stings to go with it so I know what they are capable of. I did nothing to provoke them other than walked by their nest.

Back in day I would put a cup of gas on the opening and call it day. Even if I still did that I would not want to do that in my garden.

So, y'all got any good suggestions on how to deal with them? The nuclear option is on the table.

Comments (23)