SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Tis the season for Yellow Jackets

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

The last couple of weeks I couldn't figure out why there were so many Yellow Jackets in my raised bed veggie garden. It was getting to the point I couldn't even pick my lettuce because they were all over it. Well, I took some time today to observe them from a distance and watched them fly from the veggies to a crack between some stones in a nearby retaining wall. They have a nest. It's happened before. Tonight, after dark I bomb it.

Stings from these critters can often result in more severe reactions each time they happen even if they are years apart. That's my situation. One would think with time and more stings you would build up some sort of immunity, but it doesn't always work out that way.

My point: If you have a Yellow Jacket problem and are worried about the stings, it might be worth the effort to observe where they are going. The last time I found a nest in my retaining wall and sprayed it, the bodies piled up by the hundreds for a few days after I sprayed. It was truly amazing how many of them were living in there.

Kevin

Comments (10)