SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostales

Getting ready for winter check-list

hostaLes
11 years ago

With this wild, hot and dry summer beginning in late March, I've been thinking of what I might do to prepare for the winter. I think some of our lurkers and newbie hostaholics (including moia) could use some advice. SO PLEASE ADD TO MY MEAGER LIST BELOW: I plead you!

-make sure the hostas are securely marked so in the spring when doing cleanup they aren't stepped on. Also if a hosta is to be moved in spring it can be found before unfurling. I use painted river rocks for markers so a plastic leaf rake in spring doesn't move them. Once the leaves die back I move the rocks right to the edge of the crowns since when leafed out I move them out so they can be seen.

-Provide cover for the winter in the hosta beds? What is the consensis on this? Leaves may provide a home for slugs and ugs.

We have had a good, not great year creating compost with the improved 3 section bin. Once we received some rain our neighbors, who bag their lawn (ugh) cuttings have begun giving them to us. Along with the garden waste and table scrap (pronounce it with or without the "s" as you wish) his first two large loads are still a little wet but totally black and what is in the finished bin is totally finished.

Even if almost done, should we spread the compost in the "in-process bin" over our hosta beds and let it finish over-winter there, or should we move it to the 'finished bin" and let it compost over winter? We will be needing the main bin for the load of green clippings already in the "raw bin" and the shredded brown fall leaves and garden waste, plus at least one more load of grass clippings from Terry & Bobbi.

Les and Theresa

Comments (19)