SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Helpful Website - Seedling Images

susanlynne48
13 years ago

For those who are new (and old) gardeners, I find this site helpful in identifying seedlings I have not grown before, in case I lose tags or have dropped seeds accidentally, or just want to know what to expect.

Sometimes I may have something that is a different species identified on the website, but the same genera, which may have similar characteristics to the photographed species, I can expect it to look a bit like the images shown. For instance, many plants in the Ipomoea genus have cotyledons that are strongly suggestive of that genera. Same goes for Penstemon, many Salvia, Campanulas, Acers, Mallows, etc.

They have recently added weeds and vegetables, which is especially helpful, if like me, you are new to growing many veggie varieties. Cucurbits and Brassicas have similar characteristics in their cotyledons and seedling leaf shapes.

It is just nice to me that a backup exists that can provide some help in learning to identify seedlings and I thought it might be good to share this with everybody if you don't already have it as a resource tool.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedling Identification

Comment (1)