SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

So we're moving!

We are moving. Now what do I do about my Garden Web name? I won't be in NH anymore! I thought I would be here for the rest of my life, but the Lord had other ideas, and overall it will be a wonderful change.

To make a VERY long story short, my husband's employer was slowly sinking into a serious mental illness that manifested in some fairly frightening and aggressive ways. By the time somebody finally got him to a doctor the doctor threatened to commit him against his will if he didn't voluntary enter a 24/7 treatment facility. It was only marginally successful, he stayed only a week, and when he returned to work the whole office walked out. All the dentists in the office never returned, faxing in immediately notices of resignation. He has since lost his license and the practice had to be sold.

We saw this as an opportunity to start from scratch. We chose to move up here, but we didn't know much about different places in New England. Now we know more about what we want and what makes us happy. It was a very long process of looking at many opportunities, and there are many because most areas have a pretty serious dental shortage. Long story made short, we bought a practice in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. Husband has already been there working, and eventually we need to get our house ready to sell (help me, please, Lord) and move. It was easier moving 1000 miles because you JUST DO IT! Moving 2-3 hours down the road is harder because you can drag things out.

I will be sad to leave this house, but excited to be in Boothbay. If I could only just airlift my house and gardens over there! Last summer we had started building a garage and I had started a serious garden expansion. Luckily we stopped the garden project before I had installed any permanent garden features, but needless to say all that will have to become lawn. It's been a roller coaster of a ride and I have been so busy working on paperwork for the sale that I have totally neglected the garden--TOTALLY. I am finally motivated and have done some weeding and rearranging, and making a list of my favorite plants that I MUST take with me.

And, just like this house when we bought it four years ago, the house we'll be going to has a seriously neglected garden. Time to begin rejuvenating again! Clearly at one time there was a gardener (and I know who she was and how to get in touch with her :-D Yea!) so I'll have some gems to discover. I'll also be posting many, "What in the heck is this?" photos soon. There is a beautiful 3' japanese maple in the backyard surrounded by weeds. It will be a nice place to start!

The practice we bought has an attached house, so we'll be living right at the office. I homeschool and dad will work right at the house, so it could make for some great family time.

Boothbay is such a fun place. The beautiful Maine Botanical Gardens are there, so if anybody comes for a visit, give me a shout. I'll surely be going there for some inspiration. And, I'll be moving from the 5/4 garden zone boundary to 6a. I wonder if I'll be able to get rosemary to overwinter outside.

I've been absent, but now I'm back. It's nice to be excited about gardening again!

Comments (15)