SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carnette_gw

Palmetto St. Augustine

carnette
12 years ago

Hi! This is my first post and I'm pretty new to all things garden/yard related. :) So please don't assume that I know anything, I'm here hoping to learn!

We recently built a house in Norman, OK and we need to sod the back yard. The front is already done in Bermuda and a small section of the backyard, just around the house, is in Bermuda also. The front yard has taken off well, but the backyard is really more weeds than grass. Since we need to sod the rest of the backyard anyway, I'm considering replacing it all and starting over (just in the back).

My question is about St. Augustine grass and where to find it. Growing up, we had a beautiful yard of thick St. Augustine in northern Texas. Ever since, I've had a soft place in my heart for St. Augustine and would love to be able to carpet my backyard in it. Via some internet research, I read about a variant called Palmetto that is supposed to be more resistant to drought/cold temps and just all around a better type of grass for this area than most St. Augustine.

Have any of you wiser heads ever heard of Palmetto? Any idea where I might could buy it around here? The local sod companies (at least the ones I can find) don't seem to sell it. I've heard that you can sometimes get St. Augustine from Lowe's or Home Depot and plan to check into that this weekend.

Also, any other advice you have would be appreciated as well! I know that if I go with St. Augustine, I will be biting off a hefty watering bill but for me, the texture, look and feel of St. Augustine will be worth it. However, if there is a better type of grass for our area with similar characteristics to St. Augustine, I would be open to looking into it. St. Augustine is just the only thing I'm absolutely SURE I like.

Thanks so much for your input!

-C

Comments (8)