SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prissyrabbit

first time sodder - sodding with Palmetto St. Augustine

prissyrabbit
14 years ago

Due to not being able to keep up with watering and so many days with no rain and horribly high temperatures here in the far northwest Houston, Texas area, my front lawn, which was St. Augustine, died this summer. So this past weekend I had to tear all of the dead grass out. Yes, it was all dead - nothing alive left at all. Poor trash men had to pick up over 50 bags of lawn debris/clippings. I tilled the soil and raked out all of the debris. Three days later, sore muscles, and a pretty nasty sunburn, I now have beautiful, clean rich brown soil. My fresh, new Palmetto St. Augustine will be delivered first thing tomorrow morning. After all of my very hard work, I want to be sure I do everything right. Can someone please tell me the steps I need to take from here on out to give my new grass the best chance to become a nice healthy lawn? I am laying the sod myself. The soil is level. I understand this is not the best time of year to be doing this. But under the circumstances, I do not have a choice. Thanks for any advice you can give me! I greatly appreciate it. Just to give you the details - I unfortunately do not have a sprinkler system and can not afford to get one at this time. This grass is in an area that is in full sun 100% of the day. I mow my lawn myself and would like to know what the best height is to keep this type of grass. I usually have the best looking yard in the neighborhood. Unfortunately this year, life circumstances kept me from taking adequate care of my yard and it went downhill fast. I have no weeds and have never had any type of disease or issues in my grass. Thanks again.

Comments (8)