SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Red Flag Fire Warning for Most of Oklahoma

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

The previous Fire Weather Watches have been cancelled and an expanded Red Flag Fire Warning has been issued for most of the state of Oklahoma. Only a few counties in far southeastern OK and northcentral OK do not have a Red Flag Fire Warning at the present time. Remember, too, that fires can occur anywhere whether you have a warning or watch or not.

Although the winds will not, in general, be as high today as they were on April 9, 2009, when we experienced epic wildfires across the state, the winds still will be very high making conditions very dangerous.

A Red Flag Fire Warning means Extreme Fire Dansger exists. You can check the linked map below to see if your area is included in the warning area.

Stay tuned to local media if fires are occurring in your area as they will broadcast local evacuations if they are necessary. If you have a NOAA Weather or All-Hazards Radio, sometimes the NWS will, at the request of local emergency management officials, activate the radios to inform local citizens of evacuations, so be sure your radio is turned on and that the alert function is working.

I'll post updates as I can, but fire conditions are likely to keep me at the fire station away from the computer once the trouble starts.

Whatever you do, don't put little baby plants out in the afternoon heat and wind!

Be careful, everyone.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Norman Weather Office Webpage

Comments (3)