SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Unusual Hosta Question About Root Systems

lovefornature
16 years ago

Hi,

I have about 5 Hosta's in my garden right now. I am fairy new to Hosta's but I wanted to know if all Hosta's have deep root systems.

I want to put some in permanent planters that are only about 12 inches deep.

Oh, also I live in Zone 5B, but according to ArborDay's site I am in Zone 6, Central Illinois. Also I am not interested in the overly huge Hosta's. I like the ones that grow about 16" tall (not including their flowering).

Any suggestions on shallow rooted Hosta's would be appreciated tons!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Comments (21)

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

I have hosta growing in about 2 inches of water but I don't recommend it.

Tell me more about the size of the planters, etc. If you want to do it then lets figure out how?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

the problem with planters.. is the freeze and thaw they will go through all winter long ...

hosta are tolerant of a lot of things.. but breaking dormancy in the middle of winter is not one of them ... or they coming out of dormancy too early .. and then getting frosted until they die ..

mother earth has a way of freezing the soil.. and keeping it frozen, up here in the great white north of zone 5 ... it has a lot to do with the shear bulk of the earth ... a pot or container on the other hand... can freeze and thaw many time during the winter ...

the key to most plants living through the winter .. is GET IT DORMANT>> KEEP IT DORMANT ..... repeated/freeze thaw cycles kills plants ...

if it were me .. i would NOT DO IT ... until you are a most experienced gardener .. and don't really care if you lose all your stock ...

plant them in the veggie garden for winter.. plant them in the containers for summer.. back into the garden in fall ...much easier.. much less prone to failure ... etc..

good luck

ken

• Related Discussions

F. benjamina question - holy root system!

Q

Comments (5)
    The best way to care for your plant is a regular (full) repotting every 2-3 years, which includes bare-rooting, root pruning, and a complete change of soil to one that is durable, well-aerated, and free-draining. Beyond that, you're charged with getting the light as right as you can, making sure all the nutrients the plant uses are in the soil in a favorable ratio, keeping it warm enough in the winter, and keeping it in an o/a condition that ensures it's healthy enough so disease and insects can't get beyond it's natural defenses. Let me know if you want pictures of a full repot on a F benjamina. With the roots being as large as you described, a rather large fraction of the plants very important roots will have been attached to those you severed. It's also likely most of the roots in the container were pressed into service as conductive roots, rather than roots that absorb water and the nutrients dissolved in water, so your tree probably took a pretty big hit. How quickly it recovers depends in large part on how conducive to new root growth the conditions in the rhizosphere (root/soil mass) are. You can control that, in part, by your watering habits and by making sure soluble salts don't accumulate, but root congestion will also play a significant role. Al
    ...See More

Root system question

Q

Comments (1)
    Well, this isn't really the answer you were looking for, but I have paid the price in sewer backups because some one planted a paper birch about 20 feet away from my sewer pipe, and let me tell you, every 3 or 4 years, we have to pay to have it cleaned out. After, that is, cleaning up the basement where the drain backed up. We finally gave up and had it taken out. No problems since then. I wouldn't plant anything deeper than grass within 30' of it again! Plant the rest of the yard and let the dog or kids enjoy the grass out there.
    ...See More

Question about Risky Business Hosta

Q

Comments (8)
    This is a previous post from ken...credit goes to ken_adrian hosta that are out of the orinarily slow may be planted too deep .... dig up the whole root ball .... heave it as high as you can ... right back into the same hole .... and make sure the top of the crown is right at ground level .... it will take off like a rocket ... or you will find out it is dead ... the near death experience is said to trigger hormone release.... a growth stimulant ... banyai told me [pauline of gold standard fame's son] that he would scrape puny hosta across cement to scar the roots ... thereby stimulating it ... he walked around my yard one summer and pointed to 20 hosta that were underperforming ... and told me they were all planted too deep ... he was right ... lift them up .. and they will take off ... do NOT be gentle ... Contributed by ken_adrian
    ...See More

How about a list of VERY unusual hosta? (pics. please)

Q

Comments (50)
    I have 'L.S. Downsized' as well as 'Blue Haired Lady' (originally sold to me as 'Old Coot'). I love BHL, but LSD is a mini that you can easily overlook. If I have time I'll post a pic of BHL. The leaves are like the ears of a Lop eared rabbit. They're satiny and a cool shade of blue. I'm still looking for 'Old Coot', to keep my BHL company (poor thing). Yes Janice I can start a thread on secret gardens or grottos...that is if I ever get mine made. Right now its just a pic in my mind. Donna ;o)
    ...See More
  • digs57
    16 years ago

I have a planter against the NE corner of my house (along the N wall, about 40" x 40", and ~14" high (made out of 4" x 4" pieces, but we all know that lumber 4" is actually 3.5"). I did remove the flagstones from under the planter, and replaced some of the sand with soil. I have three hostas (Paradise Power, Cracker Crumbs, and Blue Jay) and a heuchera in it, and they do fine through our Canadian winters. Oh, and I don't water the planter - they're on their own. BJ leaves have some browned edges due to the lack of water, but the other plants look perfect, so I'm going to move BJ elsewhere, and put something a little more drought resistant there, maybe my new Pandora's Box?

I also had hostas in corner-of-the-house planters in my previous home on the east coast, and they grew like gangbusters.

Give it a try, what's to lose? If you're worried about dire consequences, just keep back part of each plant in a garden bed.

Digs.

16 years ago

note that digs has it on the NE corner of the house... meaning... NO AFTERNOON SUN ... winter morning sun is too weak during the cold morning ... while one of those 60 degree days in Feb... with sun on the planter MIGHT be a problem ... in the afternoon ....

it really boils down to how experimental you are willing to be with your monstrous collection of 5 .... lol ....

ken

PS i wouldn't put Pandora's box in the planter ... and i would avoid NOT watering it .... but hey .. prove me wrong ...

• digs57
    16 years ago

To clarify and expand, the N wall at my house is actually NNW wall - it gets late afternoon sun in the summer. My east coast planter was on the SW corner of the house, W wall, flush with the corner, and about the same size as the one here, and it got afternoon sun year round. Never watered that one either.

Both planters had/have a high proportion of cedar chips (cedar mulch) and compost in their "soil", not to mention a fabulous population of earthworms.

Now that the growing season's over, I'm going to put a few more of these at other locations around my house, garage and deck.

I think a small "big-pot-sized" planter might be problematic, but one that's more of a "mini-raised bed" should really be fine. Wood, btw, has excellent insulating properties, so a 4x4 wood-constructed planter is self-insulating and provides good drainage between the pieces of lumber.

Why don't you try it with a proven to be tough variety like Gold Standard for example? I have one growing in completely marginal conditions of darkness+drought under a huge fir tree, deliberately so just to see how it'll do. It's growing, albeit slowly and actually looks great, the area's way too dry for slugs.

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I'm back!!!! I see some more people have commented today.

Esther Opal, thanks so much for responding to my question and trying to help me out. I am attaching a picture of the pot to let you see it. Sorry it's not a thumbnail, haven't figured out how to make it smaller yet.

The pots dimensions are at the top (diameter from inside to inside) 11 3/4" and bottom dimensions are 8". The pot is approximately 10 1/2" deep. The sticky on the bottom reads 12" Terra.

Here is the pic:

{{gwi:1093399}}

Ken, Digs and Esther Opal,

These pots are going to be in the ground all year around. I want to plant them under a tree.

I know that I don't have a monsterous collection, wish that I did though. There are many that I love very much :)

Yes, I am pretty much a new gardener.

I will open my ears to any advice I receive about this issue because I know I am much less experienced.

It is nice to know that you can keep them overwintered in pots out of the ground also. It is also nice to know that wooden pots insulate well.

PLEASE NOTE that these would be their permanent homes as I do not think I can go much deeper than the size of the pot that I have above, maybe wider, but not deeper.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!! It is appreciated :-)

16 years ago

i don't understand why you are paying money for a new pot .. to bury in the ground ... most nurseries have a recycle pile of used black stock pots.. that they are more than willing to let you carry away ... key word: FREE ...

when i bury pots for over wintering .. i make sure the ENTIRE pot is buried ... any lip showing through the soil ... or above the mulch .. can generate heat to the root zone in winter .. and lead to freeze/thaw problems ...

finally .. your pot is NOT big enough for most hosta [which you already know] ... if your plan is a permanent planting .... frankly .. there is no such thing as permanent .. in the garden .. no matter how you delude yourself.. lol ...

good luck with the collection ... we all started somewhere ... and really .. the only way to succeed .. is to give it a try .. the worse that can happen .. is that you fail .. and start over ... some say that you aren't a real gardener .. until you have killed every type of plant 3 times .... and so it goes ...

glean all you can from all the opinions.. and give it your best shot ... good luck

ken

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ken, thanks for all of you honest answers.

I did not realize that I could get pots for free at the nursery, I will have to check into this!! Thanks for that tip.

Please advise as to why this pot would not be big enough (would it not be deep enough or wide enough)? I am not planning on planting monstorous hosta's (just about 16" of leafy growth is all I want).

Also let me know what you mean when you say "there is no such thing as permanent in the garden". Do you mean that all things have a life cycle OR all things eventually grow too big OR we are contantly moving things around?

I have never killed a plant three times, except for Bonsai (if you could three different species) and I absolutely LOVE Bonsai).

OK Hosta lovers, I am sorry for admitting this but I also love Jack Frost and someone told me that its root system only goes about 2-4" deep into the ground. So it guess that would leave me with one option, at least.....even though I ABSOLUTELY want some georgeous Hostas.

I do have an almost completely shaded deck. Those are my two options for planting hostas, under the tree (which is a non-native Crimson Maple) so sorry it was here when we moved into the home. It does receive sun in the AM and PM depending on which side of the tree things are planted under. Probably two hours max. Or sitting on the deck.

All other parts of my lot are pretty sunny.

What a bummer..........

One more little tiny thing to ask, I notice that most of you appear to be Zone 5'ers. Any live in IL. I would love to know of a Hosta Farm around the area (that sells). That way I can see them in person. The nursery's around here only carry the few basics.

Thanks again for the advice.

• anitamo
    16 years ago

lovefornature...this post will answer your question regarding any other Illinois forum members. As far as nurseries to get hostas from, I'm not sure. I've been getting mine online for the past two years from a trusted nursery. The virus scare has made me very cautious of buying hostas from anyone who doesn't specialize in them.

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

"Please advise as to why this pot would not be big enough (would it not be deep enough or wide enough)? I am not planning on planting monstorous hosta's (just about 16" of leafy growth is all I want)."

Don't worry about plant size so much because the pot will limit the plant size by restricting the roots. The problem is seeing to it that the pot has enough water. Any plant in a pot will finally use up all the space then produce more and smaller eyes.

I still don't know if the in ground structure has drainage.?
    Is this in ground thing for looks or some other practical purpose?

If you like call me 502-594-8363

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

If you get pots free from a nursery please make sure that you disinfect them first with bleach water.

• hostasgalore1
    16 years ago

I leave a few hundred in pots identical to yours with minimal loss "5 pots out of 300". I've found it easier to grow in pots here with the freeze thaws cycles we get all the time cause I can move pots to protected areas and the grounded plants have to fend for themselves. I ran around like a wild goose the first few years throwing blankets and anything I could find over the eyes emerging from the ground and I'm not doing that anymore. Pots are by far easier IMHO..

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

Depending on where in IL you are, I can recommend Hornbaker Gardens near Princeton as an excellant source for buying hostas. They have a large stock and sell big healthy plants.

I also grow some hosta in pots. I have them on the patio in summer and move them into our unheated shed in the winter.

Where in IL are you? I can recommend a couple other places in different areas.

Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Hornbaker Gardens

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

I find Hornbaker Gardens very expensive but having great variety of hostas. My favorite is Sunrise greenhouse in Grant Park IL which has over 400 varieties with excellent prices and knowledgeble people as well. Got bunch of hostas from them and so far they doing great. Went to Hornbaker yesterday and did not find their clearance sales satifactory- at this time of year most nurseries are selling everything 50% off in our zone. Sunrise greenhouses started having buy 2 get one free after Aug 25 and I was most happy recipient ;) They also were having OOPS sales for $2 where labels got lost so I picked up several plants which I am pretty sure identified as Clifford Stingray, Reptilian, Sleeping beauty and still have yellow leaved NOID. Am going to take it to Foxwillow Pines this weekend for Hosta happening event where owner of Hostapatch Nursery will be helping ID hostas by their leaves.
    I overwinter significant amount of pots. If they are iffy or hardy only to zone 5 perennials you want to give them decent protection such as coldframe. Hostas will do great if you put them either in unheated garage or under north house wall, water them well, let them go dormant, turn them on the side and dump big bunch of oak leaves over it. I do not have mice or voles so having big heaps of leaves is not a problem in my garden. I overwinter hydrangea macrophyllas which are only root hardy in my zone similar way and have nice blooms as well.
    Also I had several purchases made from Northern Grown perennials, Hallsons and Chuck Plemmons " The hosta man". Received huge divisions with long roots, was most pleased.

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Esther Opal, the reason for potting up my plants and putting them in the ground is to protect them from the roots of my Maple Tree. My pots have drainage holes in the bottom. I am not quite sure what you mean by drainage structure in the ground.

Anitamo, I have heard about that virus, sounds bad. Hosta's were supposed to be such a disease and pest free plant (for the most part).

Sassy 7142, thanks for the advice about sanitizing the plants. I know not all nurseries do what they are supposed to.

Hostas Galore 1, great to hear that the in-ground pot system works for you, you are giving me hope now!!! :)

Janet, I live right smack in the center of Illinois. I have never heard of Princeton, so it must not be close to me. I thought that you could over-winter Hosta's pretty easily. Thanks for confirming that. :)

Lindalana, Thanks for confirming what Janet said about overwintering. I have not heard of Grant Park either. Bummer, I must live in the wrong spot.

I would just like to see the Hosta's up close and real.

Thanks everyone :)

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

love, if you are in the center of IL then Peoria is a closer drive. There is Conner Nursery near Peoria. They have a big variety of hosta, though the help there is minimal. They also have a winery on site and that seems to take precedence over the nursery. But still someplace to go to view all the hostas.

We went to Springfield earlier this summer and could not find any nurseries anywhere. I guess from central IL southward there is none. Oh wait, I do remember one in Effingham. I have never been there, as it's waaay south, but they have a website too.
    Avalon Acres

On the Conner Nursery page click the "View Catalog" triangle in the lower right corner for their hosta list.

Good luck with your potting project.

Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Conner Nursery

• dragonfly65
    16 years ago

Lovefornature do you mind telling me where you are in ILL. We may be real close. dragonfly1@royell.org Bev

16 years ago

i just moved 25 clumps of plants you would call 16 inches tall ...

the SMALLEST was 16 inches wide. the largest 48 inches wide..

do you see now.. why no pot is permanent .. and your pots are too small ... unless you take them out of the pot once or twice a year.. they will very quickly outgrow the idea you have ....

jack frost is a medium to LARGE hosta... who ever told you its roots go down 2 to 4 inches... well .. need to dig up the clump properly .. and find out that they are wrong ...

my best advice ... to you at your stage of hosta gardening.. grow them in the ground... and after a year or two .. when your small plant turns into 10 plants.. dig them up ... divide them ... save some .. and try others in pots... that way.. you can experiment with 'extra' stock .. and if you fail ... so be it ...

in my mind .. you are trying to start at the advanced stage .... and i fear you will become discouraged to easily ... though if you do bonsai ... i doubt you will give up.. or lack the patience.. lol

good luck

ken

PS: here is a picture of a properly dug out 16 inch tall plant.. note the roots .... if anyone has the link to the post about moving mature clumps.. perhaps you can link it here.. thx

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

I believe the instructions on moving a large hosta are in the FAQ section.

Here it is, if this is the one you're referring to.

Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: How to move a Hosta

• sally_hosta_grower
    16 years ago

Hi LFN, I'm in East Peoria. Lee Gardens is near Tremont/Mackinaw! She has a lot of hostas, and has really good prices. I'm not sure about this time of year though, it's getting pretty late in the season. Look at her web site, to get ideas for next year!

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Janet, thanks for letting me know about Conner Nursery in Peoria and for the link. It is about a little over an hour from me. I will have to check it out next year. Effingham, I have heard of that town and been there, way to far :)

Dragonfly, I will drop you an e-mail and let you know what town I live in.

Ken, thank you for knocking it into my head that this will not work and yes, I try hard and work hard in my garden and anything else I may be doing. I like to do things right, which usually leads to me doing things wrong. I will not be putting Hosta under my Maple OR Jack Frost.

Hi sally hosta grower, I will also be sure to look at Lee Gardens website. I believe I have been to Mackinaw, sounds really familiar, but not sure where it is located. My DD plays school softball and travel softball, plus volleyball and used to play basketball, so I have been all over the zone.

Thank you everyone :)