SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

How about a list of VERY unusual hosta? (pics. please)

Janice
16 years ago

I'm getting to the point, where I need to make very careful selections of any future hosta I purchase.

I think the criteria needs to be they have to be very unusual or interesting.

I tend to have a certain look I prefer, and colors, of course, but now I need to have some "specimens"

to add more "interest" without distracting from the whole look or feel of my garden.

I tend to like a serene look, where the colors or looks of each hosta transcend and flow around the yard.

I have a spot in the upper part of our yard where you can stand and pivot and see hosta and beds all

around you as you turn, full circumference.

I have a 'Diana Remembered' but determined yesterday that it stands out too much as the margins become less

yellow! I don't like anything to "grab" the attention from the whole, and yet I like for "a" or some particular hosta

to cause your eye to rest on it because of the form and coloration without "taking all the attention" from the whole

look and feel I'm endeavoring to create!

I also have, what I've deemed my (sort of) "secret garden" or "room" off to one side where I've tried to

make it look like a "potting area" (which it really isn't)!I'm really having fun with that! Hubby attached two long

shelves, on the tall lattice fencing, for me to put "things" that exhibit my "interests" as they pertain to the "garden"!

I'm sorry, that I'm beins so very "wordy" in trying to describe what I'm reaching for!:o/ Please "bear" with me!!!!

So, what are some of the most "unusual" ones you have in your gardens?

janice

Comments (50)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

praying hands .... ken
    {{gwi:1022541}}

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

What you might want to do is choose plants that are the opposite color of each other. Your eye sees the same form and shape and color but in reverse so it flows but is interesting. Here are a couple possibilities. (The Lakeside Symphony is not mine. I ordered it last year but it never showed varigation so it must have been something else). You could either put the 2 (or 3) next to each other as the Piedmont Gold and Sentimental Journey are, or put one with other things in one place and a little ways away the complimentary plant. These are all larger plants so any of them could be a feature by themselves.

• Related Discussions

How about posting some hosta garden photos?

Q

Comments (19)
    HH, with a lot of water you can even combine hostas and Sedums! I had saved some nice threads from 09, from hosta_freak Phil and hey_j, but they are beyond the max of 67 pages GW saves and their search function does not work for me. But this time of year it is good to bump up interesting older threads, I think. We will have 4 days in the 40s next week, wow!
    ...See More

*Progress* reports on your hosta! (lots of pics, please)

Q

Comments (55)
    Dug out some more "progress" pics. The angle is not exactly same, but the purple astible is the same reference point in all The first is in 2004, 2nd year for this area. Here is the same area in 2006 And now in 2008. This area gets full sun from early morning until early afternoon. Some do better than others. I took the hanging plants down to open the shot. The cattle panel was supposed to be trellis for sweat peas that were going to shade the hostas and scent the backyard before the lilies started blooming. I found out I don't know how to grow sweat peas!!! lol Maybe clematis for next year. This shot almost matches the one from '06. Please note the mutant GE. I call it a mutant because it lived!! lol And if your screen looks like mine, 2006 and 2008 pics side by side.
    ...See More

Many Hosta Lists!!! Where should I post them?

Q

Comments (27)
    That's great about HostaLib. Your lists will be a great asset there! About Papou's comment "Why dont you publish an unexpensive loose-leaf 3-ring binder style document.", I just wanted to mention that one year, when I wanted to make calanders for Christmas presants, I bought a GBC brand "CombBind C50" from one of the office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max - one of those). It cuts the holes and puts a plastic ring type binder in (the sort you see in recipe books that various organizations sell for fund raisers). It was a little pricy, maybe $50 - $60 plus supplies, but it's easy to use and makes a nice booklet. I'm glad I bought it and plan to use it for other things besides calanders. If you (or your wife) are into any kinds of crafts it might be something you'd like to look into. Of course, doing it that way, you'd have to make the booklets yourself. Just a thought.
    ...See More

Hosta ID needed - unusual flowering

Q

Comments (25)
    hosta_maker...that was the clue. The pycnophylla flowering habit. I went to the HL and went through the list of "kids". VOILA! Don...hahaha Glad there was an answer at the end!!
    ...See More
  • maureen_ottawa
    16 years ago

Spring Fling -- love the ruffles

Hart's Tongue and Praying Hands -- very different shapes

Liberty -- stops everyone in their tracks

Ice Age Trail -- one of the nicest streaks

Bold Ruffles -- unruly mass of blue catches everyone's attention

Fire Island -- small bright gold that brightens up any spot

I could go on and on...

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Those photos show excellent contrast! I try to do what you described, because I am into texture and shape, with color being secondary here. Were there more obvious flowers, then my anal tendencies would take over and they'd be in that color's garden.

I use height in stages to try to feature my hosta. Of course, since I also love heuchera, you should see a gorgeous June snuggled against the dark purple of the Velvet Night. In another garden, June is very much more green. It frames a bright Lemon Lime hosta.

Janice, like my Japanese Maple collection, I frequently plant my hosta in pots and bury the pots. Not only can i easily rearrange, but the voles are thwarted.

I hope you don't mind this question, because I'm not being smart, but why do you always have so many words in quotation marks? What does that mean? You ask good questions, so I always read your posts, but that always indicates to me that somehow you really don't mean the word(s) that are in quotations.

Thanks,
    Christine

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LoL Christine! My daughter asks me the same thing about the quotation marks, and "no", I don't mind
    you asking the question!

Well, I'm somewhat "compulsive" about putting them around the names of Hosta, because somewhere
    in my memory bank, it seems the thing to do with a title etc.! In other instances, it's for emphasis,
    sort of like underlining and for a direct quote, of myself or others or something I've read!

I seem to type like I talk, by emphasizing and using exclamation marks! I bet it can be annoying
    to read though, if you aren't inside my head to understand why I'm using them! If it is to most of you,
    I will "try" (the emphasis here to convey it will be difficult to pull off changing an old habit) to use less
    of them! I really hate being compulsive and am about very few things, but I'm thinking that is the real
    problem, here! :o)

janice

P.S. In a way I guess it seems like a Chris Farley routine I once saw, however, in most instances
    it is not for the same type of emphasis I think he was conveying! LOL

• lindac
    16 years ago

Quotation marks are used for quotations, that is for things that are not the words of the speaker, or writer.
    Elipses, on the other hand.....are used when ever I think of it!!
    Linda C

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really like elipses, too! Another thing my daughter questions and says is "distracting" (her words)! :O)

janice

• ademink
    16 years ago

I love ellipses! Ken couldn't talk without them. LOL

I've always wondered about the quotation marks also, I'll admit it. LOL Sometimes I have to read stuff twice to figure out what it says. roflol I'll admit, sometimes I may not be too bright. ;D

Hosta names actually use 'these' and not "these"...(insert ellipses here) that is the proper way to name them. :) So 'August Moon' would be correct but "August Moon" would not.

Janice, we may have to put you in quotation rehab and rip the key off of your keyboard! LOL!!!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Andrea!! I have been posting since this thread, and HAVE NOT used "s! It was very difficult and I have recently learned,
    as you pointed out, that the ' is the proper mark around hosta name. But, My left pinky just feels so left out of the game now,
    if I don't use the "s!

Oh, well---"such is life"! Whew--just had to do that!!!

janice

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

I may never post again if people start to check my punctuation!!!! I'm lucky to be able to find spell check on my computer and now I have to worry about how you feel about my sentence structure!!!

Janice, I ("NEVER NOTICED") that you did that and after all, all of us who frequent this forum are considered 'strange' to normal people.

I enjoy you just the way you are so don't worry about how you type something.

Back to hostas! The most unique hosta I have is Rhodeifolia with it's rabbit ear look and I really like it. I have the kind that is about 12 inches high and is green with a yellow border on the leaves. Sorry I'm still in my nightgown so can't go out and take a picture.
    Now the next thing to go through the forum will be how we are dressed when we read and answer posts on the forum!!! I also am a tea drinker so maybe that may be another survey!!

OUR UNIQUENESS MAKES US SPECIAL so don't take that away from us.

Connie

• caliloo
    16 years ago

I must admit - when I am reading a thread and come to the first of your "'s I usually SOB (scroll on by). I sort of put it in the same category as people who make circles with smiley faces to dot their i's.

Alexa

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Connie, you're missing the point. It's not the sentence structure, just the meaning behind it! :)

I type as I talk, too, as do most people. That's why public speakers use speech writers. I try to use html or the "age-old" emoticon method: enclosing the emphasized word in asterisks. Since the development of message boards vs. the now-ancient BBS, html offers actual punctuation.

I can underline titles, speak excitedly, indicate I'm changing my mind, SCREAM, be colorful, etc. Then I flip into a blank email message, copy in my text, spell check it and put it back in -- if I remember. My spelling stinks.

And, returning to your original question, which are always good questions, I loved the Jimmy Crack Corn, Wagon Gold, and some of the really interesting "pie crust" type. I received a fabulous 'Embroidery' from my secret hosta Santa, which has a great, outlined edge. The corrugated ones are cool.

I wish I had a digital camera right now! :)

Thanks for answering my question and not taking it the wrong way.

Christine

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

No offence taken Christine.

I'm still trying to get through your second paragraph in your response to me! I don't know where I was when those points of correct sentence structure were taught but I sure don't remember them and I am probably too far gone to relearn and frankly I don't care! I have a hard time just typing some days as my fingers seem to touch all the wrong keys and get ahead of each other. One year of typing class 49 years ago is all the formal instruction I have had and I just barely made it through the class with a C grade.

I'm sure there are others here on the Hosta Forum who don't know or care if there is correct sentence structure in a post. They just want to learn more about hostas as I do.

Happy Hostaing to all of you!

Heres the picture of Rhodofolia I talked about earlier.

Connie

• sugarman
    16 years ago

Check out 'Devon Green', 'One Man's Treasure', 'June', plantaginea . All plants that stand out without colours, but just because of the very nice foliage

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lovely 'Rohdeifolia', Connie!! Looks very similar to 'Wolverine' but perhaps larger?

And thank you, all, for the suggestions. I have many of them but am noting those I do not..
    for future consideration!!!

And, I thank you, also, for the suggested proper ways of relating (or not) on this Forum.

Let's see if I have it right--yet!

PROPER FORUM PUNCTUATION AND *KEY* USAGE TO EXPRESS THOUGHT:

"Quotation marks" to emphasize thought or proper names or hosta--NO!
    Astericks for *emphasis*--ACCEPTABLE!!
    Elipses......ACCEPTABLE!
    Italics to indicate excitement or emphasis--ACCEPTABLE!!

Oh, what about dashes------??

Anything else I've over-looked? LOL

I'm joking, folks, and I also realize that "you can't please all the people all the time"!
    (a direct quote from someone that's not me)! Some people are very easy going
    and easy to get along with and don't irritate easily and others--well, who knows
    what's "on their plates" that may make them less tolerant of the rest of us, on some level!

I really enjoy this place and the folks that frequent here and hope that we all can feel comfortable
    "in the skins that we are in" and that we don't have to worry about being judged for simple or
    silly things that have nothing to do with who we really are! Or, maybe they do--whatever!!! :O)

I feel that as long as we are kind and considerate with and of one another, and respectful of one another's
    thoughts and differences, (whether we agree or not) then that should be what is most important--at least to me!

And, I love the humor that is often displayed--I love to laugh and I think if I or anyone else can make you smile,
    despite what may really be going on in your lives, that makes you feel otherwise--then that's just how it should be!!!
    And on that note--thank you for the laughter and private encouragements in those times of my life on this forum!
    Hopefully, you know who you are and You ARE the best of what happens around here!!

And, I'd also like to thank my family and friends, who have made it possible for me to be here today
    to accept this award! Sigh! ;o)

And--no offence taken by your question, Christine, for sure!:) I'd much rather have the opportunity to explain
    myself than to be misunderstood or critiqued behind my back where I may be totally mis-read! :O)

janice

• Carole Westgaard
    16 years ago

I can't help myself - I HAVE TO (using all caps is shouting on email) take this opportunity to carp about grammar. I actually enjoy all the quirky use of dashes, ellipses, asterisks, quotation marks, (both single and double) even when used incorrectly, which is almost always. But I might as well offend absolutely everyone and spill my guts - it's grammar that makes me sit up. Somewhere in this thread someone used the phrase "I'm going to use less of them". This is incorrect. Less is used when referring to an 'amount', as in water; 'fewer' is used when referring to that which can be counted, as in 'fewer' hostas. I have lost many friends pointing things like this out. Now, at age 65, I have three left. I'll probably lose everyone on the forum, now, too. My kids hate me. Neighbors run when they see me.

:) I'm not serious. EVER. (Except about the grammar) (Ken, please note - my nickname was actually 'Testy Westy' in my corporate job!) Ken has referred to me as 'Testy Westy'.

Westy (editor in pre-hosta life)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I hear ya, Testy!!...I feel pretty much the same way....probably because I know grammar but can't type worth a toot!
    Connie is that sweet woodruff in the front of your picture?
    Linda C

• deshima
    16 years ago

How about a Tequila Sunrise

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

[Ahem]

I really was just curious. Luckily, Janice understood, since that's was that about which I was very clear.

I'm with Westy, though. My mother was an English teacher. Her mother was less-than-lace-curtain Irish, who married into an extremely "known" Detroit family. She exemplified pretention until the day she died. So, in my family?

If one "jus' wanned ta" one didn't get to have or do it.
    One dined, one did not eat.
    One had children, not kids.
    I could go on, as could we all.
    I am rather grateful to my mother for insisting I take typing in 1972. I stood my ground, though, when I went to college. I didn't want a typewriter for papers. I wanted a sewing machine, which I still have and use!

However, the important thing is that we are understood, hence my question. It does cause me to cringe when someone intelligent, well educated, and just plain smart murders prepositions, or can't speak in the right person, etc. It was pounded into me that how one speaks is how one is perceived. So.... I try not to swear. OK, I fail miserably at times, but I try!

Connie, I love that hosta. It does resemble 'Wolverine' to a degree, but I think the leaves are more elongated? Is it one of the nice, thick-leaved hosta?

I've had a field day this last month on eBay. Keep 'em coming, ladies and gentlemen. I buy from your recommendations!

Christine

• Carole Westgaard
    16 years ago

Whew. I love youse gize.

Westy

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How 'bout those unique/unusual hosta?

Deshima, that is a beautiful hosta! I will definitely keep it in mind!! It is clearly of *the type*
    I've come to appreciate, while not that unique, for my garden, it is definitely a beauty I'd
    love to have!

BTW--thank you for your pics. McT--as alway--a treat for the eyes!!!

And, ken, I know 'Praying Hands' is a very unusual hosta and would be a great addition
    to my garden....for many reasons! :o)

janice

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

THATS TEQUILA SUNRISE?!! Gotta have it.

• ademink
    16 years ago

You spoke my mind (as usual), McT! ;D

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Yes Linda, that's Sweet Woodriff. I added it to my hosta bed last year and it sure is filling in nicely. I read on the forum that it doesn't disrupt the growth of hostas. I also added coral bells and ladies mantle for more contrast. I had just hosta in the bed and nothing else but spring bulbs for years so got brave and put other things in and I really like the look.

Connie

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, that TS reminds me a lot of my grey-green 'Cutting Edge'! I think I just may have to, *AGAIN*, agree with you McT!

If I had to pick just two or three of my favorites, CE would be right up there!!!!Sigh!

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

I'm going to be more self conscience posting here now.
    I was raised by WV hillbillies and I feel that
    I've come a long way when I taught myself to say tires instead of tars, fires instead of fars, etc.
    I just do well to speak correctly.
    Grammar, spelling, sentence structure and all that other stuff is....well....there's just no way I'm gonna get it down right.
    I guess for those of you that it bothers..I guess the best thing for you to do is just stroll on by when you see a post by sassy7142. lol
    I try my best, I really do. I think I get my thoughts across ok. Whenever I've asked a question on this forum I've always received answers. I guess there's some that understand my poor grammar. lol
    You know the saying about old dogs and new tricks.

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

That Tequila Sunrise caught my eye too! WOW.

Hey J,
    The ones I like, that dont grab your attention, but make you stop and look are 'Secret Love' and 'Starlight' (for unusual blue color), 'Cutting Edge' and "Blue Canoe'(for a different shape), and 'ringtail' (just because). These are common... so you probably already have them.

Cutting Edge
    {{gwi:1022547}}

'Blue Canoe'
    {{gwi:903473}}

Ringtail
    {{gwi:1022548}}

'Secret Love'
    {{gwi:1022550}}

I also like this Trio that changes color during the year. They are similiar, yet different and thats why I grouped them together.

'SeaFire' (top), 'Jimmy Crack Corn' (left), 'Squash Casserole' (right).
    {{gwi:1022551}}

As for expression in a post, I dont mind creative minds...
    "Quotes", CAPS, exclamation points, ...dot-dot-dots..., cartoons, (parenthesis), *stars*, --dashes--, typos, grammer bloopers, cute foxes and most other things just don't bother me. In fact, I've said it before, I really like cute foxes. Am I dating myself? (know-it-alls, now thats where I draw the line, and it hasnt happened on this thread. whew!)

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Sassy, you can make yourself self-conscious, but that would be a rather sad waste of time. My question was to understand Janice, not to worry about sentence structure, as Connie focused. I, frankly, happen to love accents. Particularly those such as a strong WV accent that causes tires to come out tars, or darling to come on dahrlin. Or father to come out paw(r). Accents make people interesting. Boy, when I hear a man's deep voice out of southern Louisiana? Scrape me off the sidewalk, 'cause I just mmmmmmmeeeeeelllllllttttt...

Anyway! I absolutely love the pictures. I've added so many new hosta to my "must haves".

Do you guys have any of the unusual reds? I have a small list I'm hunting. And, have any of you seen 'Hacksaw'? I love it.

Blue Poppy, I absolutely love the trio you have above. I have all three and am contemplating a new garden of just hosta. I have a huge heuchera collection, which always compliments the hosta. Can you see an dark, eggplant-purple heuchera framing the brilliant colors of those three? My mind is twirling.

YEAH!
    Christine

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sassy, just be yourself! Don't worry about the details of how you express yourself! Anyone who doesn't like to read
    what you have to say, can just "SOB" you, like they do me! I use to feel badly knowing that was being done, but I realized
    that no one really knows me here, beyond what they *think* they do, unless they have taken the time to email me on the side,
    as some have!

So, again, don't worry about it, and know that not everyone is judgemental on that level or would disdain you.
    And those that would, probably are so very uptight about who they are, and *aren't*, that they just have to find reasons
    to bring others down, to elevate themselves to fit their own self-prescribed standard! I think, in the largest part,
    you are amongst friends!

And, I'm not suggesting that the comments by Chrisine and Westy are in that league of *unkindness*. We all have our
    compulsions, and I think they are just telling us about theirs.

Bluepoppy, I love your pics. and your suggestions. I really love the triangle of seemingly similar hosta.
    I've been trying to get a 'Squash Casserole' having lost the largest part of mine this Spring, but so far,
    I'm not being very successful. I bid on one up for auction, on ebay(10 eyes), but didn't hang in there long enough!

And thank you for your thoughts and I'm so glad you like my "fox"! He's one of the funnest things I've done, personally!
    I'm such an amateur at the graphics but I really find it fun trying! I haven't done much of it in awhile, knowing that not
    everyone is as tolerant of me as you!! :o)

I hope Sassy feels better having read what you had to say, as well!

janice

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

Thanks Christine & Janice. I'll try to remember what you said.

I think the only unusual hosta that I have is Corkscrew. Just got it last fall so it's still a baby. Kinda neat looking though.

• ademink
    16 years ago

WellsaidJanicequitefranklyIcouldthinkofseveralthingsthatwouldbefarmoreannoyingthanaccentsand"s.hahahahahaha

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lololololol, Andrea!!!!!

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Andrea,
    Get this: I didn't see what you'd done when you typed.
    I had to go back and look!
    I read diagonally across paragraphs, so often I get what's being said, not how it's being said -- which is why I asked Janice. I had to slow down to read, but didn't want to miss anything. When someone has a great sense of humor and great questions (great = applies to me, too!), I never SOB.

Then, I noticed you didn't have spaces. My SIL, who teaches elementary ed, who just got a Masters from the Univ. of MD, who has a tendency to write complaint letters? She doesn't understand or use punctuation and prepositions are a foreign language to her. And we wonder about education today. I digress into an in-law rant. I didn't even notice!. But yes, it would become ... ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!

Christine

• hostared
    16 years ago

Hi Janice how's your shoulder?

My Three pics are "Silver Threads & Golden Needles", Ice Aged Trails" & "Hyuga Urajiro"

Teresa has history about "Hyuga Urajiro" I love this little beauty. Can't wait to see how it matures.

These may be what your looking for.

• ademink
    16 years ago

I had ordered Hyuga this spring but the place I ordered it from ran out. :( Bummer!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

boy you guys have digressed a bit...

if i wanted a. retentive spellign/grammar/etc .. i will go back and practice law and let the judge ream me out for a typo ... geez ...

but hay .. if thats your thing.. all the power to you ....

for me, this is all about the garden ... i am in my relaxin clothes.. i am sharing garden stories.. and i really don't care about the rest of it all ...

as noted.. i type [if you call it that] as i talk ... no further formality is needed .. would you really correct my grammer if we were face to face.. would you take me off your list of friends if i drawled or misspoke??? then why should it be any different here????

and my stuff is a lot easier to comprehend after a few adult drinks .... lol ..

be yourself.. and who cares what the rest of the peeps think about your posts ...

just have fun here.. and RELAX .... ken

PS: whats the topic??? .. oh yeah .. winter lightening made the list yet??? check it out at the lie-berry ....

PPS: all typos intended .... or i dont care.. do you know which it is?//....lol ...... have a great day ...

Here is a link that might be useful: winter lightening

• frogged
    16 years ago

If you have some free time you could check out the hosta library on line. They have many pages of hosta listed by names alphabeticly. Or you can scan many photos at the same time. I had no idea there were so many varieties. Good luck in your search.
    For myself Im just happy as a pig in ... when I get answers to my questions here. I would never disregard somones help just because they misplaced their grammer. But this comes from someone who routinely mispells the word mebay, and just about every other word too.
    Have a nice day. Frogged

• playinmud
    16 years ago

Talk about diverging from the subject line. Wow!

Janice I'd like to see the secret garden you started. I have a grotto in mind that I'd like to create. It would consist of a fern patterned cast iron bench, a gurgling fountain, hostas, and a stone path leading to the bench. The one thing that I had added to another bed for height, texture and movement was an ostrich fern. It is so impressive to me that I've ordered two more for the grotto.

Kindly,

Donna

PS: Janice I miss the fox too. It amazes me that it only takes one person to ruin it for the rest.

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Gloria!! Good to see you reporting in on this thread! Did you mean to insert a photo of your described hosta?
    I'd love to see one if you have it!!!

And, thank you for asking about my shoulder! It's still attached, so far! :o) Actually, I believe the type of work
    I'm doing in the yard has strengthened my Rotator Cuff, therefore helping hold the humerus (not funny) bone
    more stable rather than the *wrenching* in place formerly experienced. I'm still looking at surgery to repair
    the problem, but if I can wait till February '08, when the rider/exclusion will expire, our insurance will bear
    the larger portion of the expenses.

Good to hear from you, Ken! Glad to hear you are amongst the *more tolerant*, as I suspected! :o)
    The 'Winter Lightening' is definitely one I'd described as *unique*!

Welcome Frogged! I don't recall seeing you post before, but then I confess to not reading all the threads,
    if they don't pertain to something I can benefit from. Also glad to see you are *personality/grammar*
    tolerant! Hope to see you post more often.

Hi Donna! Maybe someone can start a thread on *Secret Gardens* or *Garden Rooms/grottos*!
    That could be fun! Wanna be the one??? :o) I'd love to see your *grotto*!

The *fox* is still around, just waiting to be sent to hide, again, which may not be long coming these days! LOL
    But--you know--*he/she* has to show up on the *Conversation* side!!! :O) Which, BTW, it's awfully quiet
    over there right now!

janice

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Good God, you guys who are so worried about grammar have totally missed the actual question and the total point.

If you're choosing to worry about not worrying about it? Knock your bad selves out.

Janice? What's the fox? Can I see?

I was just looking at some of the Lakeside hosta. There's a 'Down Sized' that looks pretty neat. I'd be interested to hear reviews of 'Blue Haired Lady', too, if anyone has one.

Christine

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd love to hear about the famous 'Blue Haired Lady', as well! There were some who thought they had the real deal
    and found out they had something else!

Christine, I have posted, on the Conversation side the saga of "the fox"! I have linked it here, but I need to
    post this warning to those who have *issues* with quote marks and grahics--there are plenty in this one! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Birth of the *Fox*!!

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

"You know the saying about old dogs and new tricks."

I'm an old dog, would love to learn some new tricks. I met 3 ladies in NY that looked like the "Supremes" so I asked them to do a number for me. Amazing what one will do for 200.00?

• caliloo
    16 years ago

OMG! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Were you on a budget?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Alexa

• playinmud
    16 years ago

I have 'L.S. Downsized' as well as 'Blue Haired Lady' (originally sold to me as 'Old Coot'). I love BHL, but LSD is a mini that you can easily overlook. If I have time I'll post a pic of BHL. The leaves are like the ears of a Lop eared rabbit. They're satiny and a cool shade of blue. I'm still looking for 'Old Coot', to keep my BHL company (poor thing).

Yes Janice I can start a thread on secret gardens or grottos...that is if I ever get mine made. Right now its just a pic in my mind.

Donna ;o)

• hostared
    16 years ago

Janice haven't posted pictures yet. I'll get to it soon.
    But the hosta library depicts the three hosta's exactly as I have them.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Oh, man!
    I've gotta have an 'Old Coot' now, too.

Thanks for the input. BHL sounded so interesting!

Christine

• playinmud
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of 'Blue-Haired Lady'. She's just losing her wax I guess, usually stays a matte blue longer than this, must be getting more sun than normal.

And I still need an 'Old Coot' to keep her company!! I figure if I ended up crossing the two, I'd name the seedlings 'miracle babies'...LOL!

Donna

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Donna! That would be great--or you could name it "Issac"! :o)

janice

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, Donna.
    I'm pretty lucky or eBay sellers appreciate a safe, sure thing. Or, they see me coming.

A couple of vendors are letting me combine auctions that cross over a week. I'm picking up some very cool things, all based upon pictures like yours and reviews here.

I can't wait until my shade garden is make-able.

Christine

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville