SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Do you see what I see?

Babka NorCal 9b
11 years ago

Just returned from a vacation in Switzerland/Italy. Did not see any hostas for 3 weeks, except for this ONE. It was not labeled. It was way up high in Arosa, Switzerland. I guess once a hostaholic, always a hostaholic, and if there is one within 15 feet you will spot it. ;-)

-Babka

{{gwi:1092947}}

{{gwi:1092949}}

Comments (14)

• donrawson
    11 years ago

Hmmm...maybe Fragrant Bouquet...or Frosted Jade...or Antioch...or Formal Attire...or what?

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

As awesome as the Alps are; I now am going back,-and back,-and back,to look at the hosta. I don't know if don's first listed is his or her first opinion, but my first thoght was Fragrant Bouquet.

babka, I hope your vacation was as lovely as your picture.
    Theresa

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

a star.. a star.. dancing in the night ... ????

ken

ps: what.. this wasnt a pop quiz on Christmas songs???

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Ken Your reply simply didn't register at first. I was so focused on a hosta. I though "what is he smoking?" Then I went to your link and one of my favorite Christmas recordings. Thank you. I must have needed it this early in the morning as a wake-up.
    You're fun!
    Theresa

11 years ago

OMG!!! Les is a woman named Theresa .. when did that happen ... lol ..

apparently i am focused on GW names rather than signatures ... lol

yeah .. Andy Williams died this week ... i have been youtubing my brains out on all the old standards ... the link is my all time favorite ... why??? ... all i can figure.. was all the great entertainers with the true variety shows in the 60's and early 70's [my formative years as i was a little to young to be a true hippie] ... warped me to the classic voices ... and not to mention.. him and Julie Andrews had Christmas albums given away at firestone gas stations ... the season is never complete.. w/o a few hundred run thru's of those albums ...

and why moon river ... well.. it was the only song.. dad ever jumped out of the chair to ask mom to dance to ... the parent dance at my wedding ...

hey babs.. sorry for the hijack ... hope you wont track me down and kill me ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken, I love you! Thanks for making me smile. I needed that. We had a wonderful trip, but got home to a burglarized/ransacked home. They took a laptop, but not (phew) the PC which has ALL MY HOSTA PHOTOS going back to 2002, among other stuff. All my hostas were left untouched. Different priorities, I guess.

-Babka

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

babka - so sorry about the wet blanket on your vacation return. We had that happen once too, and were just grateful that the intruders were rather tidy and didn't trash our house (well brought up I suppose haha.) Very upsetting to have to figure out what's missing, then deal with the insurance company, then the shopping - time consuming - and all the time really p***ed off that anyone would do that. Good luck with the aftermath.
    Jan

11 years ago

i bought a stand alone hard drive for under $100 ...

if the house ever catches fire.. its the ONE THING i will grab ... IF I REMEMBER .. lol .. and its for the kid pix as much as the plant pix ... you could have taken it to italy.. lol

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Ken, you will grab it IF you are in the house when the fire occurs. We have a stand alone backup near the computer desk...a lesson learned after an internal HD failed. Also most pics on Cd's stored too, but putting all that back together on a new computer is a PITA.

Most photos of my kids (well grown by now were taken using film, and firmly stuck in those old sticky photo albums. Kodak had a few bad years in the 1970's with their color emulsion films and pages of those are fading to pale orange, like disappearing ink. Now that my kids have kids of their own, they aren't very interested in themselves as children. Once we had all our 8mm home movies transferred to VHS tapes (remember those???)because the old projector broke. Then the tape player broke, and I asked if the kids wanted to have the tapes made into Cd's. Nobody wanted them, except us. Next the Cd/DVD players will become obsolete and it all should go on a flash drive. Then flash drives will become obsolete and I'll be gone, so I won't give a s***.

I only take a 15 lb. carry-on whenever we travel and you bet I wouldn't be hauling around a HD (I think you were kidding about that)

Jan- You nailed the feeling. Exactly!

I'm sitting here waiting for the refrigerator repair man to come fix the bottom light in my side-by-side fridge/freezer. The doors were left open for anywhere up to a week and the low wattage bulb melted its own plastic housing socket so a new bulb doesn't work.

My advice to all of you. Use those digital cameras and take photos of what you have in your drawers and closets. If they are all dumped out and spread around, it is hard to know what is missing.

-Babka

11 years ago

or you could pay for photobucket premium .. and store your pix out there ...

or any of the other off site storage solutions .. i am blanking on the service name right now ... my huckleberry friend ...

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't trust the clouds with my photos, dear heart.

-Babka

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nuts! I forgot to add a "1957" next to "Dear Heart", one of Andy's best. I was in Jr. High just learning how to slow dance...watching Dick Clark on American Bandstand.

-Babka

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Babka-how tragic! Memories are priceless and can never be replaced. Memories can carry us over the hard rocks in our paths.
    Ken-do I HAVE to open my own page? I'm sorry if I almost gave you an "OMG" heart attack.
    Theresa

• User
    11 years ago

All the stuff can go on the "cloud" these days. Off site storage. Webshots is changing its whole concept, American Greetings sold it back to a couple of the former owners, and now it will be all up on the Cloud, and upload there from your cell phone, your computer, maybe your camera but I don't know yet. Not for public viewing, just for folks you give access. And not in albums, have not figured out how to keep thousands of photos organized. So I will wait and see before I opt in to the new service.

Meanwhile, Amazon has cloud, ASUS has cloud, and perhaps you can do a backup to a cloud. Sort of like space debris floating around out there, huh.....

Sorry about your burglary. When I went north for a couple of months last year, my pet babysitter and yard dude parked his extra car here, came to watch TV, played with the animals, did the lawn, etc, changed the lights, left on music or TV late hours. So it seemed someone was home. He is a real friend! Love having a botanist for a yard dude, even if it is only till he finds work again.

Note: I also never reveal my schedule of coming and going to any neighbor. So far, so good. When I worked offshore and was gone 6 or more months at a time, I used more strategies than that. That is why I named my place on the bayou MoccasinLanding. I also hung huge snake carcass mounted on a board to the tree by my little dock, with the sign, MOCCASINLANDING....PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE SNAKES.
    The grass got a bit high back there, and nobody ventured into my property. Moccasins are very aggressive snakes.

I recognized the subject line as the Christmas carol. It almost "sings itself." Do you hear what I hear.....>

Yeah, Theresa posts using Les' username. I think that is where Les chose to name Theresa's Angel Garden. I'm into names, so I notice those things. :)

A little off this topic, but about hosta:
    I got my very last hosta order today, from WadeGatton. 21 plants from them. I also need to list the order I received from Hallson, and of course from Don Rawson, to wind up the season with a flourish worthy of Arthur Fiedler conducting the 1812 Overture. .....However, my little maltese boy kept me up all night last night throwing up, had to take him to the vet, and he is still very weak and cannot stand up. He is in my lap at this moment, muzzle resting on the crook of my arm. Little ole man is almost 13 and he is precious. So indeed I cannot set him down simply to type on the computer.
    Hope tonight is quiet and not a repeat of last night.
    See you guys on the morrow.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor