SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Staking tomatoes with Bamboo

seedmama
14 years ago

Last year I scrambled to get support for the vastly increased number of tomatoes I was growing. Sopamanda graciously offered me bamboo from her stash in Tulsa, but Spademilllane tempted me with an unlimited supply at his home just minutes from my house. My only regret about my transaction with SML was that I wasn't able to harvest more, and I suspect he will say that he, too, wishes I had gotten more.

I posted a question last year on the tomato forum about how best to utilize my supply of bamboo, given that after 3 days of harvesting I was nowhere near having enough for a tepee for each tomato. Digdirt and others enlightened me on the concept of the Florida weave, and it worked very well for me.

Below is a copy paste of a post I made this morning on the vegetable forum, trying to help out a gardener who has similar circumstances. I think you'll get a kick out of my Scottish engineering, and I hope Spademilllane will appreciate seeing how his gift was put to work. From the vegetable forum:

Last year I posted a similar question regarding CHEAP on the tomato forum. I was in possession of many 12 foot pieces of bamboo. They suggested I try something called the Florida weave. A search here on on google will give you lots of info. Some suggested it wasn't a very sturdy method, but with my implementation it stood up very well to strong Oklahoma winds and is still in place for another year of service.

To install the bamboo I used rows 5' on center. Each bamboo pole was buried 2 feet deep, 3 feet on center. The tomatoes were planted in the middle of the 3 foot spacings, then supported using the Florida weave techinique. I believe my succes was due in large part to burying the stakes so deep.

With 12' poles, 10' above ground there were lots of jokes about picking tomatoes on a ladder. I stopped weaving once the vines were beyond my overhead reach, and the vines simply flopped over and began growing downward. It worked well for me. I chose not to shorten the poles because at some point the bamboo will rot at ground level and I'll still have plenty of length to rebury and use them a second or third time.

This year I'll be growing green beans on the same bamboo, trellis style with string. I've attached photos taken this week. You'll note I have installed real estate signs in between the five foot rows. I have planted several pea varieties and run string from sign to sign to support them. The spacing is a little tight, but the peas will be dying out about the same time it's warm enough to plant the beans, giving me more room to work. In addition, I know from last year that I can pick peas from inside the real estate sign rows.

Do be sure the bamboo is THOROUGHLY cured before you bury it. I harvested my bamboo from the largest private bamboo preserve in the state. The newly acquring owner, dismayed with what to do with it all remarked, "Friends don't let friends plant bamboo."

{{gwi:36504}}

{{gwi:36501}}

I've include one link for Florida Weave. Notice they put two tomatoes between each bamboo, whereas I put just one. Either way you use a figure eight style weave. Also note, I don't stop in very often, so please accept my apologies if I don't make it back to answer questions. Hope this helps.

Seedmama

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Weave

Comments (7)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor