SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musa_innh

Musa in New Hampshire

musa_innh
15 years ago

Hello everyone. Although I currently live in Florida and can garden year-round, I am originally from the Upper Valley in New Hampshire. Every spring and summer I travel to my Dad's where I fix up the gardens and enjoy not sweating to death, although the bugs enjoy me. I am an avid gardner, always trying to stretch what can be grown there in NH. In August 2004 I planted a 4 small musa basjoo. To my suprise, only one died during winter and the others flourished. That year (2005) it snowed b/f the musa froze, at 5 feet, the leaves were weighed down with snow. Beautiful contrast, tropical and temperate. Last year (2007), the m.basjoo stand reached 9feet! and didnt freeze until early November. My Dad's is on a hill which faces west-creates a great micro-climate 10-20deg warmer than the valley. This year the stand of m.basjoo is already on pace to beat last years heigth, currently I have been told they are around 7 feet, my Dad says they are completely covering the windows! I have a few sabal seedlings which have survived 3 winters-not much growth, but they are alive! I have tried a few needle palms with them surviving a winter and then dying, but this year I brought up big specimens-about 3-4feet diameter w/ 2-3 foot heigth w/ a windmill stuffed behind them snug to the chimney and basement. For all of you wondering about a "desert" theme, I have a nice variety of opuntia, echinoceres, escobaria, one agave(i planted a few more this spring), several species of yucca (again planted this may, some will need protection, mainly from moisture). One lesson I have learned in gardening since I was 3 (I am now 27-almost), never let anyone tell you, "that will not grow here!" With the right situation (like a woodstove in the basement), nearly anything which can come back from roots/rhizomes/bulbs can survive, Like my Canna's, Elephant ears, dahlias, glads and mimosa tree. All these are zone 7 or 8, the elephant ears do wonderful w/ about 2 feet of leaves for winter, then they spring up and reach up to 3 feet or so. Last year the elephant ears in N.H., were way larger than mine in Florida!!! Explain that!

Comments (3)