SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schastapop

Hoop house bed: plastic cover now, frost blanket later?

schastapop
12 years ago

I've built a "hoop house" bed and am planning on putting into it some warm season plants that I've started already (e.g. tomatoes, basil, squash etc.) This will not be the permanent home for these plants - they will still be in their small containers until it warms up enough to move them into their own beds.

1st question: is this a good plan? (i.e. keep the plants warm in this psuedo-greenhouse until it warms up and then plant them in other beds).

2nd question: Should I put a clear plastic cover over the bed now and switch out with the frost blanket later, or just go straight to the frost blanket right now? I'm not sure what I should be basing this decision on. The frost blanket is supposed to provide 4 deg of protection (or so says the package). Its just been so warm in the day lately that I don't want to overheat them with the plastic; but I'm also concerned about cold nights.

Once the warm season plant containers are moved out (and planted in other beds), I plan to plant squash, zucchini, and cucumbers in the bed and continue to use the frost blanket throughout the summer to hopefully keep squash bugs out.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996