SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Sign of Spring: Croaking Frogs!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

I've been meaning to mention this for a couple of days, but keep forgetting about it until I walk out the door and hear the frogs 'singing'.

Ever since I watered the landscape area around the house very heavily back before the ice storm (because we had extreme fire danger), I've seen and heard some improvement in the landscape. In the butterfly bed, tiny larkspur plants have sprouted and, in the lily pond behind the back of the house, the frogs are croaking every morning and evening, including right now.

Of course, the ice storm gave us a small amount of moisture, as did the little rainshower this morning. And, because fire danger has remained high, I watered on two separate days between last week's ice and this week's rain.

It is so nice to hear the frogs and to know they made it through the winter. Since 3 of our 5 ponds are empty, I wasn't sure if the surviving frogs had moved away to other ponds in other places, of if they all moved to the two remaining ponds that still have water. I guess now I can assume they have moved at least to the lily pond near the house.

So that's my most recent sign of spring.

Is anyone else seeing any new signs of spring this week?

Dawn

Comments (10)