SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

The advantages of traveling, or is a rose is a rose is a rose?

narcnh
17 years ago

For the most part there are no advantages to traveling. ItÂs a royal pain in the butt, airports bite with all the security hassles, work piles up while away, business precludes enjoying the destination, and the unattended lawn becomes a jungle. BUT, it is neat to come home and see how much has changed in a week or so.

All the rain sure has helped everything get off to a good start this year. Most surprising to me are the roses. This year I went a little nuts and planted about two dozen, mostly hybrid teas and a few climbers along with a couple of standard tree roses in pots and a couple of weeping tree roses in pots. The hybrids and climbers were mostly Wal-Mart specials that went into the ground in late April. The potted trees were from QVC and didnÂt arrive until early May. I thought newly planted roses took 60  90 days from planting to bloom. At least one of the hybrids in the ground  Peace  has buds and so does one of the standard tree roses. At this rate IÂll have blooms in a week or two, not mid-July like I thought. My momÂs roses in New Jersey have been blooming for weeks, but I never expected to see blooms so soon up here.

IÂd really appreciate hearing about otherÂs experiences with roses this far north. Should I expect a lot of die back in the winter? My mom always prunes her roses almost to the ground (above the graft, but leaving only a few sturdy stems a couple of inches long) in the fall and piles peat moss right over them, and they come back like gangbusters every spring. I was planning to do the same (pruning, not mulching). Is this wise? I assume the Japanese beetles will descend in hoards on the plants and that black spot and aphids will be issues (already saw some aphids on a weeping tree rose). Any and all advice gratefully accepted. IÂll surf the roses forum, too, but I like to hear what others, who share this unique climate and environment, have to say.

narcnh

Comments (7)