SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hiclover

Found roses from my travels

hiclover
8 years ago

Roses always catch my eye at this time of year, but in the last couple of weeks there have been a couple that captivated me enough to stop what I was doing and take pictures and cuttings.

This first rose is in the backyard of a house that some dear friends of mine bought in Oakland, California. According to the neighbors, it was five feet deep in blackberries up until a couple of months ago when the property was cleaned up to sell the house. Lucky that the rose didn't get "cleaned up" too. It Reminds me of the rose identified as 'possibly snowbird' at the Sacramento Cemetery. Apologies for the cell phone pics; they don't really do her justice.

The blossoms are many petaled, nodding, and have a slight sweet fragrance

The new growth is thinner and wispier than what I generally see on modern roses

Another shot that shows the large white blossoms; they're camouflaged by a 20 foot tall Cecille Brunner in the background.

The second rose I encountered while riding my bike on the East side of Santa Cruz, CA. Looks like a rambler to me, as it was happily eating a hedge in front of a dilapidated turn of the century era house. It had rooted in several places in the front yard and along the shoulder of the road.

The blossoms have a violet tint, a button eye, and have a strong rosey fragrance.

Sorry, no whole plant shot on this one; it was too big!

Any thoughts or possible IDs on these?

Comments (9)