SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Cabbage and Tomato Questions

15 years ago

I decided to start a new thread being as I hi-jacked the one on Soil Temperatures.

Seeing as how so many tomato diseases are carried in air, soil, water AND the seed, then I guess I'm just doomed to Early Blight as we get lots of rain in the spring and heavy dew almost every morning.

I did check my cabbage seedlings and so far I have ONE Walking Stick cabbage up. (I only got two seeds and some chaff in a seed trade -- although the provider of the seeds did send a couple of bonus packages of other seed so I guess maybe two seeds were all he could spare at the moment. I was still glad to get them but with only one of them that germinated so far, my chances of getting the plant far enough to make seed are greatly reduced)

OK so I'm a newby at growing cabbage -- I guess that shows. LOL Dawn mentioned that cabbage will keep for months. Is there a storage method that has worked well for anyone, other than refrigeration? If I have bought a head of cabbage at the grocery store, I extend its freshness by not cutting into the head, unless of course I'm going to use the whole head. Instead, I peel off the leaves from the head until I have as much as need. This leaves a smaller head, but no cut edges to mildew. I keep the head wrapped tightly in one of those "green bags", and it does stay fresh until I use it all. But if I'm talking about several heads of home-grown cabbage, I won't have room for them in my side-by-side refrigerator (which by the way doesn't seem to hold nearly as much as one would think). Do any of you store cabbage for use through the winter that works well for you, that does not involve a cellar (I don't have one)? I have a good-sized shed but it is not insulated nor heated. No greenhouse or room for one. I was thinking about building a trap door of sorts into the bedroom wall, for access to under the house. Our house started out as a 3-bedroom, one bath with breezeway and garage. Somewhere along the way, the owners before us closed in the breezeway (rather shoddily, I might add) and converted the garage into a family room and a bedroom, with a bathroom and walk-in closet between the 2 rooms. To go into the family room and bedroom, you have to go down two steps, which means these rooms are on a slab (the garage floor). The rest of the house has a crawl space. We have done a lot of remodeling on this house, correcting boo-boos, and fixing drafty areas. At one point we had to open the wall in the "garage converted bedroom" to get to water lines. We found sidewalk there because that is the area where the breezeway was. Now I'm beginning to think about this area in a new way. What if we put a door there on the lower part of the bedroom wall, about the size of the doors on an under-the-sink cabinet? Then I could but things that need cold storage into those big plastic tubs.

Would this be worth the effort? Is there an easier way? I thought about digging a hole in the ground and sinking a plastic tub down into it, then covering the lid with a bale of hay or something, but I need every square inch I have available for the actual growing. Here again, am I overthinking this? If I don't cut off the heads and leave them in the garden, but cover them heavily with mulch, will the heads keep through the winter as Dawn says the stalk will?

Inquiring minds want to know. (LOL)--Ilene

Comment (1)