SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Progress Photos

MiaOKC
11 years ago

Hi Everyone! I have also succumbed to spring fever. For me, it means I have to try to reclaim my 300sf veggie garden from the devil's grass - bermuda. Sometime around August 1st last year I stopped even looking at the garden, except to swish through the long grass looking for peppers and tomatoes. Unlike many (knock on wood) I had my best gardening year ever, in terms of production. This was my third serious attempt at a garden, so it was surely a combination of luck, trial and error and a tiny bit of experience. I had planted small tomato plants from Lowe's in mid-March, IIRC, and they went CRAZY and I had tons of tomatoes. There are only two of us and only one is a tomato eater, so I gave away grocery bag fulls and froze gallon bags full for winter chili and soups. I think I have three gallon bags left. The peppers didn't do anything until late, but right before our first hard freeze I went out and cut everything off and chopped and froze them - we are still pulling out that gallon bag for omelettes and casseroles every weekend. I've already shared the tale of my onion rot woes, but I did have home-grown onions until Thanksgiving so I am calling that a win, too. I did have a few pumpkins that succumbed to some kind of melty malaise, and didn't ever get anything from the okra or cucumbers or zucchinis because I planted too late, but still I am very happy with 2012. Since I ceded the garden to bermuda, I didn't even attempt anything new for the fall. I had great quantities of basil in pots on the patio, so I chopped and mixed with olive oil and froze in mini-muffin tins for flavor cubes - still have some of those, too. They have worked very well in jazzing up even store-bought spaghetti sauce.

This year, I've been saving my cardboard all winter and am beginning the slow process of reclaiming the soil from the bermuda. I worked outside for about two hours pulling, which was about all my fingers could take - the soil was pretty chilly. I have cleared about 15-17%, if I'm lucky! This is sifting through, digging down deep and pulling as much of the stolons/roots as possible. I didn't want to shovel out as all the dirt in this bed was purchased and trucked in - it's the good stuff and I don't want to waste it. I am sure it will come back, it always does, hence the cardboard. Once I get one row cleared, I will layer it in the paths and mulch heavily all over.

Anyway, it isn't pretty, but I have made a dent! (front right is a clay patch was a weird hill I would slide down every day - DH shaved it down for me yesterday).

BEFORE:

Comments (8)