SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Help With Edging Plant, Please

triciae
15 years ago

I'm working on edging a turfgrass path that surrounds our house. There's about a 30' stretch that's giving me fits. It's directly under a maple, root-packed soil, dry, & quite shady (gets 'some' dappled morning sun).

Failures include: variegated liriope, brunnera, columbine, ladies mantle, & heurchera.

Things I don't want: Japanese painted fern (I have them already lining a brick walkway leading to the rear patio door & they are self-spreading all over the back gardens so I don't want to introduce more).

This first picture shows the path leading to where I want/need the edging. The path turns to the right.

{{gwi:1079464}}

and you are now here...at this second picture. The edging is for along the turfgrass on the left where the unattractive variegated liriope is currently. Also, the variegated liriope looks too similar to the Hakone grass across the path. I would like something other than dark green because I'm trying to 'light up' this dark shady area.

{{gwi:1077586}}

This is the area around the picnic table. If you duck underneath the CO blue spruce the turfgrass path transitions into a full sun area.

{{gwi:1079466}}

I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's suggestions for an edging. I'm getting sick of planting & having stuff die from root competition and/or lack of water. I only add supplemental water if we don't have rain for two straight weeks. I'm handicapped & just can't drag hoses around much.

Then, just for fun...we were bored this past weekend in the heat/humidity & didn't feel like digging or planting. So, we made "Pot Man". His name is Clay. It was sooo funny last night. We were hit by a heavy-duty T-storm with straight line winds of around 40-50 mph. The winds hit Clay pretty much straight in the face. His 'hair' was blown backwards flat down. He looked like he was riding a Hog on I-95 doing about 75 mph! :)

{{gwi:1079467}}

/tricia

Comments (24)

• stoloniferous
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry, I don't yet know enough to be able to offer advice on what to plant, but I wanted to say that your gardens are lovely, and Clay is fantastic! :)

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

Pot Man is great, triciae!

Is there any chance you could leave a soaker hose hooked up for a few months, just behind your new edging, whatever it turns out to be? I'm reluctant to suggest any specific plants, because it sounds like it will not be possible to get anything established under a maple without some extra water in the first season. If lady's mantle doesn't want to grow there, it seems impossible that anything else will.

Other tough plants that I've used in dry shade include epimedium and species heuchera (coral bells) The heuchera has a silvery cast to the leaves and is pretty tough, much more adaptable than the colored-leaved varieties. I don't think I'd try either without water though. Even golden creeping jenny would probably want some h2o, and it's at least as aggressive as Japanese painted fern.

Your garden is really lovely - the Hakone makes a great edging, and that shed is fabulous.

• Related Discussions

New leaves with black edges - Help Please

Q

Comments (1)
    Since it's in a pot, I think it's possible that your banana might have been soaking in water--especially if the pot is sitting on a drainer dish that collects water. If it's in the ground, it would make the difference as far as better drainage is concerned even if it rains frequently. If the plant is sitting in water, this means the possibility of the plant getting rotten. If the black spots are kind of mushy, they most certainly are rotting parts. You can still save your plant if you remove the drainer. Try also to remove the rotting plant parts. If the black spots are mainly on the edges, just trimming them off with a pair of scissors will help. Check also on the pseudostem for rot. If there's any mushy layers, just peel them off. But, again, without looking at your plant, I cannot be sure if it's any other stuff that causes your banana to have black spots and I can only respond to your post as far as my own experience goes. Maybe you'll hear something else from the others here. Hope you'll find out soon what to do with your banana.
    ...See More

Recently Planted tomato plant PROBLEMS.. please help

Q

Comments (9)
    The blueing/dark color on the leaves indicate to me that the plants are not getting/uptaking nutrients adequately . In my opinion 9C (=48F) was not and is not cold for tomato plants PROVDED you hardened them off , for several days, prior to planting. The second issue is the soil temperatures. In order for the plants to be able to uptake nutrients, a minimum soil temperature is required . 50 -55F ? ( = 12 C) should be ok. Again, in the hardening off process the roots also are introduced to cool temperatures gradually, so when they are placed in cool soil ( 10 -12C) they won't get a shock.. MY Recent Experience: On 4/8, 9, 10/15 I planted bunch of tomato plants, some with protection some withoiut. In the following week we had lows going down to 38F ( =3.5 C) .few nights. I have seen no ill effects. BUT before planting out I did check the soil temperature. It average around 52F. So far our average lows have been 42-43F. My plants are normal, though they are growing very slowly. I have seen buds on several of them. I think your plants should rebound. I would water them with lukewarm water (~ 26-27C). When I want to water mine, i fill watering cans and let the warm up in the sun for several hours. Warmer water will raise soil temperature and help dissolve the nutrients better for the plants uptake. JMO Sey
    ...See More

Hoya leaves yellowing w/ brown edges - please help

Q

Comments (6)
    Next summer, just be sure to grow them in a shady spot. Hoyas seem to do very well in shade, and there's way less risk of sunburn. I had a few out this summer on a shady shelf that got just a bit of afternoon sun, dappled through other plants, and they exploded with growth! If you just cut off that growth, it will spring forth with new! Denise in Omaha
    ...See More

Help with brown leaf edges on rattlesnake plant (Calathea lancifolia)

Q

Comments (1)
    Over watering is your issue. Watering from the bottom is never a good idea. Water from the top until it drains out the bottom, discard collected water in the saucer and use a sharpened dowel to check for moisture. Stick it all the way in, if it comes out damp, do not water. Keep checking until it comes out clean. Then you can water again.
    ...See More
  • ginny12
    15 years ago

Yes, unfortunately anything needs extra watering to get established. I was going to suggest epimedium but you said you don't want plain green. How about picking one of the amazing variety of hostas in a variegated form, or blue, or yellow foliage? They come in every size from tiny to gigantic. Check out the hosta forum. Some even have nice flowers.

• triciae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, I like the idea of epimedium & it's very tolerant of dry conditions once established. If I purchased them this year & planted early fall...rainfall would probably get them settled in.

I've already used lots of hostas. Here's a closer pix of the path leading to my problem area. In fact, the problem spot starts just past the 'Blue Angel' hostas (there are five encircling the white pine...and, that's NOT red mulch...it's pine straw! lol). Under the maple are six hosta montana aureomarginata. Then, over by the brick patio I've used 'Blue Mouse Ears' for a tiny edging that I like alot. Hosta 'Sagae' is under the spruce. So, probably enough hostas.

Here's a closer shot of the h. 'Blue Angel'. This was last July & they've grown about a foot since.

{{gwi:1079469}}

Any other suggestions? Clay hasn't come up with any good ideas...darn him.

/tricia

• runktrun
    15 years ago

Triciae, your gardens are simply stunning. I really admire how well balanced your design along the path leading to where you want to add some edging is but I do agree something to brighten up the corner where H. Blue Angel would be the cherry on top. Your Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes' (???) seems to me to be the perfect plant for that location but as beautiful as H. ÂBlue Angel is it does seem to be further darkening a destination planting area. In terms of drawing folks down to that spot you might consider switching out H ÂBlue Angel for another one of your Hostas or as you were thinking add a nice edging plant to brighten the area. The dry shade is definitely the challenge and I too think a soaker hose could broaden your choices. I flipped through a number of *shade* books and some had longer lists for suggested perennials in dry shade but even the shortest list in "Made for the Shade" by Judy Glatttstein included Epimediums. So this to me seems like the sure fire safest bet for your growing conditions under a fir tree. As my garden is nowhere near as far along as yours I must admit I know nothing about this plant but it does seem this large plant family will have something to fit your bill. Now for my suggestion that is more risky but I believe worth trying at least one plant as the "Timber Press Pocket Guide To Shade Perennials" has listed Hellebores as a plant to grow in dry shade and I myself have been growing Helleborus argutifolius 'Silver Lace' sandwiched between a large black oak and a cherry tree with no irrigation (even its first year). I would love to see its silver nearly white leaves in front of H. "Blue Angel". kt

• mayalena
    15 years ago

Well -- another thot -- Leo Blanchette (runs a great small hosta nursery in Carlisle MA, and is widely respected around here) suggests pulmonaria for dry shade. I've got some going (Trevi Fountain, I think?) with hostas and epimedium under a very rooty Norway maple. I don't think I would like it as a whole line of edging, but maybe intermingled with some epimedium and hosta?

• triciae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. The gardens are in their fifth season. There was virtually nothing on the site except for the mature trees when we purchased summer of '03. Starting from scratch has been both a pleasure & a challenge.

kt,

I really like the Helleborus argutifolius 'Silver Lace'. I've never grown helleborus but unless they are sensitive to salt in the air (?), I can see no reason why they wouldn't do well. The foliage of 'Silver Lace' is exactly what I was hoping somebody would come up with! At 20" tall, it may be larger than what I was thinking for an edging but I like the plant well enough I'm going to purchase three for delivery after this heat wave disappears. Thanks!

Also, you're right about the h. 'Blue Angel'(s) being dark. I tried to remedy that situation by planting Hydrangea anomala Mirranda but it was just a 6" rooted cutting from Variegated Plants Nursery in '06. If you look very closely you can just see it climbing the white pine behind the 'Blue Angel'(s). It will, I think, help considerably to draw the eye back but, alas, it will take several more years.

The dogwood is cornus kousa Samaritan also purchased from Variegated Plants Nursery as a 4' whip. It's growing well but has yet to bloom.

mayalena,

I love pulmonarias. Behind the Hakone grass edging & between the daphne & clethra live three Majeste. Their silver foliage just pops against the dark green of the shrubs. That's why I originally planted the Japanese Painted Ferns...to get some silver going. I had NO IDEA they were so invasive! If anybody wants babies...please don't purchase them...I've got dozens!

I don't like the pulmonaria as an edging though. When it's in bloom it's terrific! Sadly, after bloom the foliage droops & appears to be weeping for its lost flowers no matter how much rain it receives. (sigh) It is much beloved though because it blooms simulataneously to its neighbor, the daphne.

I noticed that Plants Delight has many possibilities for epimedium. Almost too many to choose from! Their description says they grow approximately 3' square over six years. I'll have to plant allowing for that much spread...all of my other edgers are more 'clumpers' than 'spreaders'. I still think it's a good choice.

If I intersperse the pulmonaria...could be just the ticket. My goals with these gardens is more a tapestry of foliage colors, texture, & movements (as in the grasses) than one of a profusion of blooms. I'm relying heavily on shrubs/trees for bloom (they don't require deadheading or cutting down in the fall) with a few tried & true perennials spotted around to avoid boredom. Because we don't have winter snowcover I have to keep winter interest in mind...I actually garden through January here. Otherwise, the weeds would be impossible come March. I'm also trying to plant this garden with the reality that we're not getting younger & maintenance is becoming more difficult. So, I avoid perennials that throw excessive foliage that requires disposal or constant deadheading to look their best. It's a challenge. Much easier to just plant whatever looks good at the garden center! :)

Thanks for the help...

/tricia

• barefootinct
    15 years ago

That's so funny about the pulmonaria (the lungwort) because I have some in dry shade that does really well, but since I've read that pulmonaria doesn't like dry shade, well, I figured, this was one of the cases where the particular plant just grows well where it shouldn't.

So, maybe try some there...just one maybe, to see how it does, because everything I've read has said no dry shade for this plant.

I don't have a huge amount of dry shade, just a "friendship" garden between my neighbor's house and mine. We don't put any real money into this area, but try moving things there when we make divisions, or spot a good deal somewhere (the lungwort being one). Heuchera doesn't particularly like it there, columbine HATES it there, lily of the valley does well in a few spots, some bearded irises (believe it or not) do well from a foliage perspective (and two bloomed this year!), ferns and hosta do fine, epimedium died, as did gaultheria (teaberry). But we persist in trying new things.

I suspect succesful plantings in "dry shade" is a bit of trial and error.

• ginny12
    15 years ago

A plant that does well for me in dry shade--and they are very few-- is variegated Japanese Solomon's seal. It may be too tall for you as an edging plant but it is beautiful in and out of flower.

• ma_mom23
    15 years ago

Lurking here and amazed at the size of your Hakone grass. I have one that I bought locally about 2 years ago. It hasn't even doubled in size yet. The owner of the gardening center said that they are slow growers. Maybe that is just for this part of MA. I really love mine but cant seem to find anymore at the local garden centers.

• triciae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ma mom23,

We planted the Hakone grass hedge on the "installment plan" over 3 seasons. The newest were just planted in '07 (they are the smaller ones in the middle of the hedge). They've done magnificent & I think it's because of the way my DH planted them.

He dug a trench about 18" deep & 18" wide removing all of the native soil. Then, he mixed up a batch of our 50/50 leaf mould & compost that we use to mulch everything with & added that to about half of the native soil. Stirred it all up with a pitchfork & backfilled the trench. Then, we planted the Hakone grasses finishing with a top dressing of 4" of the 50/50 leaf mould & compost. We watered them in well & they've been on their own since. They've never been watered except by Mother Nature. All we do is keep that 4" of leaf mould/compost over the soil. They receive full sun until about 10:00 a.m. & then dappled sun the rest of the day.

We've not found them to be slow growers at all. There's 35 one-gallon plants in the hedge & if we had it to do over we'd eliminate every other one & just let them grow together. They were planted 24" on center & are now a solid mass of shoots.

Great plants.

/tricia

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

What plant wouldn't like that sort of treatment, other than maybe sedum? I guess I see how you can have such a beautiful garden without watering. I've got the compost; now, can I borrow your DH for a couple of months?

We have a woodsy area that needs a path, and I think Hakone grass would be a lovely accent along its edge. It definitely doesn't look native, which is the look I've been going for, but it's awfully nice.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

How about one of the Lamiums with light colored foliage?

• triciae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dtd, lol Yes, I know. I'm lucky to have DH. We garden together. It's a collaberative effort. He's got a desk job & loves to use his shovel on the weekends. Says it's a "stress reducer". :)

And, yes...that's why even my hydrangea hedge doesn't need supplemental water, I'm pretty sure. They got the same trench treatment & were only 4" cuttings. Those cuttings looked very stupid that first year & our neighbors made fun of us. They're not laughing anymore! :)

Hey, Hakone grass is a forest grass, right? OK, not a NE forest grass but heck...it's pretty & non-invasive. Think of it like a hosta. Same thing & most of us use hostas?

saypoint, nice to see you. I have a pathetic patch of lamium on the upper level under the maple tree. Looks great until about July 4 weekend. For some reason, it's an chewing insect magnet. I have to cut it down & let it regrow which takes until about Labor Day. By then, I don't care anymore! :) The bright white/silver is a beacon though in that dark shady area. I wish I could grow a whole carpet of the stuff under that tree. I've even 'considered' Bishop's Weed. I must be getting desperate. The lower level where I need the edging isn't quite as bad since it's about 10' further from the trunk. Maybe I will transplant a bit of lamium in that area this fall & see how it looks next year.

/tricia

• casey1gw
    15 years ago

In my really dry garden, I've been using euphorbias and sedums. There are some interesting short varieties. It looks like you have enough sun for them.

Hedy

• nandina
    15 years ago

There are some new colorful Ajugas you might consider which do well in shade. They can be 'thugs' but are easy to control with hand weeding. Take a look at Ajuga reptans variegata, Ajuga 'Toffee Chips' and Ajuga 'Burgandy Glow'.

• ma_mom23
    15 years ago

Tricia,

Thank you so much for the advice. I just started composting so this year so I will use your advice next time.

P.s I agree that you are lucky to have a DH who helps you in the yard. When I do get mine to come out he likes to sit down and "over see" my work. Dont ya think you have enough mulch there? Or do you really need another new garden? I am running out of room with all my WS containers that he knows it is only a matter of time before I make another one.

• triciae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ma mom23,

Don't give up on your DH! Mine was not a gardener when we met. He quickly found out though that if he wanted to spend any time with me during the growing season he was going to have to come to the garden. :)

Over the years, he's become very accomplished evening learning Latin names. Since I became disabled he's gladly filled in for what I can no longer do. We're a team effort. He even deadheads the geramiums in the island planters at the gas station! lol

/tricia

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

> When I do get mine to come out he likes to sit down and "over see" my work. Dont ya think you have enough mulch there? Or do you really need another new garden?

Ha ha, I hear you, ma_mom. I'm truly happy to be a solo gardener at this point. My DH comes out with really terrible ideas: Let's put a gazebo in that corner, next to the fence. Let's build a shed over there where those trees (read: stewartia, magnolia, heptacodium) are. How about growing hollyhocks all along the garage, like my mom had? He once suggested a pool, and I took him up on it, partly just to see if he'd really follow through.

At work, I'm part of a really good team. The idea of working in my garden as part of a team makes me cringe, so now I just say, "Hmm, yeah, great - let's think about it."

• runktrun
    15 years ago

Triciae,
    I have been playing around with a lot of Japanese woodland/ground cover plants this summer. How about you? kt

• arbo_retum
    15 years ago

when i look at that key photo w/ the 'unhappy liriope', my eye wants bold variegated or gold, to balance the opposing hakonechloa. In concordance w/ various other posters, and in spite of your reasons to not use them, I'm thinking lysimachia numularia, variegated small leaved hosta, lamium (my fav is beacon silver(?) w/ pale yellow flowers; covers my dry shade spots.)Maybe your other lamium gets eaten by slugs. If so, they shouldn't bother it in dry shade. Also, i believe there is a short variegated solomon's seal (plant delights).Geranium macrorhizum(sp.) grows well in dry shade and makes a good solid carpet but it's not gold or variegated. Leaf color and texture and size-wise, I wouldn't suggest epimedium.
    Of my 3 suggestions,even though you have used it elsewhere, i think an edge of 1 variety of small leaved hosta like Golden Tiara or Kabitan -would be nicest there.
    best,
    mindy

• User
    15 years ago

Have you tried leriope spicata? It is much stronger than the variegated kind.

Another option close to the tree roots would be ajuga reptans. Tall purple spikes would flower in the spring, and the plant spreads nicely.

If you want something that will stay very low, orphiopigon or mondo grass, monkey grass would work. Very tough customer it is.

And, while it can become shaggy, it is also a broad leafed plant, dark green: cast iron plant or aspedistra.

I'm new to NE gardening and cold climate plants. I think your zone is more hospitable to the plants I named.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    15 years ago

geranium macrorhizum does have a variegated cultivar...I've got it. Don't have the name with me. It's doing great in my dry (pines not as dry as maples) shade.

I also have a silver pulmonaria ('Majeste') in my dry shade. Love it! but it does get some watering where it is, so not sure about maple competition.

I like the idea of H. Kabitan too. Its a quick grower for easy propogation.

I've been looking for Ajuga 'Toffee Chip' to fill some never-get-watered areas, but haven't seen it yet. I got some 'Chocolate Chip' last year which is working well in a neglected part of the yard.

I used to have epimedium in my dry shade, but it was kinda boring and spready and I was never close enough to see the tiny flowers, so I moved it to the woodland edge.

Many carex should do well there. I have 'Treasure Island' which is a low ground cover type. Its cream and green and brightens things up. Looks like bamboo. There is one similar that has a gold edge.

• ego45
    15 years ago

I do agree with 'quick grower' assessement of hosta Kabitan, but to my taste mini-hostas should be planted as a soliary/special feature, not en-masse plants.
    I think, Golden Tiara is a much better suggestion.
    FWIW.