SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Help with hand-me-down hosta

nomorebluekitchen
14 years ago

Hi, I was the lucky recipient of about 12 hostas from a lady on Craigslist. (No idea what variety they are -- I'm new to hosta).

I dug them up, brought them home, and planted them yesterday.

The lady who gave them to me helped me by loading them into bags. Unfortunately, she was not very gentle and many many leaves broke. I assume I just need to trim off anything broken?

My main question, though, is that these hostas seemed to have very little root system for their size. Some of them are tall and wide mature plants but the root systems were shallow and puny.

Any idea what this could mean and what I should do to ensure their survival?

One thing I noticed is that the soil they were in at their previous home was very pale, hard and clumpy and overgrown with weeds. My soil, luckily, is fairly loose, rich, and dark. (I can't take credit -- I'm only just starting to work with it.)

Also, had I checked here before transplanting, I would have known about using twine and tape. Now I have loss of turgidity all across the board. At this point, do I just water well and frequently and hope for the best? Is there any value to taping AFTER they've been transplanted?

My thanks,

Anita

Comments (6)