SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corunum

fyi/npr: basil blight threatens pesto lovers

corunum z6 CT
13 years ago

From NPR's All Things Considered:

"A potentially fatal fungal disease called downy mildew has been attacking basil plants in New York, New Jersey, Ohio and Florida. Gardeners are worried that it could spread farther throughout the summer, turning delicate green basil leaves an ugly shade of brown, yellow or gray."

Here is a link that might be useful: NPR

Comments (5)

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

I heard that piece, and decided I'd start harvesting basil on a daily basis, instead of waiting for the plants to get big. It freezes well, and small batches are easier to clean - and once it's in the freezer, it's safe!

Thanks for the reminder - I'd actually totally forgotten about this.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Sheesh, it's bad enough that I found out last week that the first case of late blight has been found in CT (and I don't have a single tomato yet!). Now I have to watch my basil too! Maybe I'll do what DTD suggests and harvest daily, just in case...

Thanks for the heads-up!
    :)
    Dee

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

AUUUUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!

To read about LB AND a threat to bail in one thread!! That's too much to bear!

I think I am going to cry now.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I hope the basil blight is not worldwide. Hopefully somewhere in the world they will be harvesting healthy basil for the commercial market. I've never grown basil, but the dried store-bought variety is my favorite herb, in everything from Italian sauces to eggs to veggie dishes. What dismaying news!

I gave up on tomatoes after last year. I'm an easily discouraged gardener!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

mine all died. But I think it was a regular type of mildew.
    Gotta get some at the Farmers mkt.
    Kathy