SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessaka

Land is almost a wetlands

jessaka
16 years ago

We bought this house last year, and when the spring rains came it was a swamp around here. All of my herbs died. I rerouted some area, when the rains slowed down, and planted more herbs and plants similiar, and now with the recent rains it is a swamp again. When we went to plant our new rose bushes the other day after digging 12 inches we ran into water. We had to find a place where that didn't happen. When I found a pond next door in the empty State owned acreage that is now a water shed, I called the city to tell them they had a water main broken. Well, it was a spring, and I am told that we have springs on the hills here. So now only do we have a lot of shade but springs. Am I going to have to pot things in pots and just go for swampy plants whatever those are? I am thinking of planting ferns and Irish moss in the shade and then taking out some trees for my blackberry bushes, which will probably like this swamp. I hope the grape vines like it. We did have wild grapes, wild blackberry, and honeysuckle growing all over. So I know some things will grow. Any ideas? I don't like raised beds and hope it does't come to that.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (9)