SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Review of local nurseries for annuals or perennials

Last week, I made the rounds of a few local nurseries looking for a few annuals for pots and flowers for the vegetable garden. Wondered what everyone else's experiences in that regard has been this season?

I don't find any local nursery that has an extensive collection of annuals that lean toward the unusual, which is what I'm always looking for. But I did find some interesting differences between the usual places I did go to.

Wilson's Farms usually has something of interest and at reasonable prices, but a limited selection due to their size I guess. They had a special on 6" pots of a limited choice of annuals, that were $5.99 each or 2/$10. Proven Winner 4" pots are the same price, for a smaller plant, so it was a good deal. And they were in much better shape. I brought home 2 White Russian Supertunias. They had some six packs but some seemed like they'd been hanging around a little. They did offer a white marigold and some fragrant petunias which I'm always looking for.

Four Seasons in Lexington, has an interesting arrangement. They keep all their annuals in a hoop house that folds up the sides on warm days. I thought that must help them out a lot on cold nights in the spring, like we had a lot of this year. They have very very few 6 packs at all. And when I asked about it, I was told that there is just not a demand for 6 packs. I prefer 6 packs, and thought everyone did. They still had a pretty good selection of Proven Winner type annuals but most seemed to have been sitting around awhile too. I found some fragrant double Nemesias but that's all I bought there.

New England Nurseries had a $2 per 6 pack sale on what was left of their annuals, that were in fair shape. Typical offerings of alyssum, zinnias, marigolds, etc. But even better they had 6" pots of healthy annuals for $3.99. I brought home Heliotropes, which I don't always find.

The biggest surprise for me, was McCue's in Woburn. They did not have much in the way of exotic, but they did have Sweet Cream Marigolds and a petunia that was black along with a pinwheel petunia of black and cream among the usual fare. They offer a lot of six packs. I ended up with a whole tray of them which is further discounted from their $2.50 price to $15.99 for a tray. What surprised me the most was that I noticed when I went to plant, that the McCue's plants were all in great condition. There were no rootbound plants at all. No yellowing leaves. They were all very well cared for, as if it were the beginning of spring, not the end. And it was very clean there too. I also bought one Lemon Verbena herb for $4. that was in one of those fiber pots, that I remove before planting. I had bought another Lemon Verbena in a plastic pot at one of the other nurseries and the McCue's plant was healthier and better branched and fuller.

I know there are lots of other nurseries that I didn't visit last week and I was intent on staying close to home and didn't need any perennials. If you have any recent experiences in purchasing annuals or perennials this year, please share.

Comments (22)