SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martieinct

?OT?-Books and Books

martieinct
17 years ago

Since the weather has put the plant world on hold around here, I've started going back through garden books for inspiration and to try and imagine warmth.

I'm constantly asked what my favorite all-time gardening books are and of course there's not an answer, but what is the one book you couldn't live without?

My answer: "America's Garden Book" by Louise and James Bush-Brown in collaboration with Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

Martie

Comments (3)

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Absolutely, without question, the gardening book I couldn't live without is Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Perennials. My original copy is in about 3 pieces...it's covered with dirt and been rained on. I am about to treat myself to the new edition. Maybe today since you have me thinking about it.

Patty

• patrick_nh
    17 years ago

I could never narrow it down to one, but my current favorite is 'Variegated Trees and Shrubs' by Houtman.

• chelone
    17 years ago

We've been industriously clearing out poorly formed trees and overgrown saplings. The "master plan" is to introduce some carefully selected shrubs to make a graceful transition from lawn and borders to the woodlands on the perimeter of our property. To that end, I've ordered the following books:

"The Natural Habitat Garden" by Ken Druse
    "The Woodland Garden" by Rob't. Gillmore
    "The Woodland Garden; Planting in Harmony With Nature" by Roy Forster

The Ken Druse book arrived yesterday and I've just started it... expect the others next week some time. In the mean time I've been walking the site and just looking carefully (safely under my umbrella). Today, I was able to see that the area is sunny by 8 AM... but now the clouds are back and I'm not sure I'll be able to see when the sun is obscured by surrounding trees.

It's a start!