SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

WS Tomato seedlings, they will grow fine

littleonefb
15 years ago

Terrene and others,

I saw your question on your thank you post for your swap, concern about your still very small WS tomato seedlings.

Wanted to assure you that you have nothing to worry about, they will grow fine and produce plenty of tomatoes for you.

With 5 years experience now in WS, and 3 years WS tomato seeds, I can tell you that they will surprise you right before your eyes.

The reason they are so small right now is that they are establishing a very good, strong root system. They are busy with their feet growth and once they establish themselves with huge, strong feet, ie roots, you will see the plant itself start to grow by leaps and bounds.

The weather we have had has not been conducive to good tomato growth, but even my small seedlings are doing well now.

This is the latest I have planted out my WS toms as well, but I'm not worried at all. A friend took 6 of my seedlings from my swap on June 1. She potted them up in huge pots 2 days later. Pots the same as mine and hold 1 1/2 cubic feet of soil.

Today she called me and those really small tomato seedlings have already grown 12 inches in the pots she put them in, using miracle grow potting mix.

Right now, mine are about half the size they where last year and I just got them in their "new homes", their pots today and added a marigold to each pot to help keep the bugs away.

When I plant mine I don't plant them just to the soil line from what they where sown in either. I sink them further down in the soil so that the stems can put out more roots. This creates an even stronger root system for the plants to grow.

That's an old trick I learned more than 50 years ago from my grandpa the tomato farmer.

What you will find is that your WS tomato plants will be a little slow to grow in height for about 2 weeks, once you have them in the ground. Then there will be no stopping those healthy plants from growing.

You will be about 2-3 weeks behind in ripe toms than those that where nursery purchased, but your plants will be much healthier, much stronger plants, and they will continue to produce well into the fall, both in growing fruit and ripening as well.

If we have anything near the weather we had last fall, you may even have your plants still going strong into mid to end of Oct. like I did last year.

OK, here's the proof of WS tomato seedling growth from last year.

Toms planted out fist week in June 2007. 5-10 inches tall

Purple cherokee, white wonder, warren's yellow cherry, sweet 100, black cherry, large cherry red, rutgers. yellow jubilee, and christmas grape

{{gwi:356441}}

July 4th

{{gwi:356442}}

August 16th

{{gwi:426410}}

Labor day weekend

{{gwi:356444}}

Oct 31st

{{gwi:356445}}

Some of the toms

white wonder, rutgers and yellow jubilee

{{gwi:436629}}

plate of mixed cherries

{{gwi:360927}}

purple cherokee, this one weighed over 2 pounds

{{gwi:360922}}

purple cherokee

{{gwi:360925}}

rutgers

{{gwi:434618}}

mixed cherries

{{gwi:360926}}

rutgers, this is one tomato that grew this way.

{{gwi:434619}}

2 of 10 plates of green cherries taken off the plants on Oct 31st. All the tomatoes went into brown lunch bags to ripen and we ate the last of them on Thanksgiving day.

{{gwi:434620}}

{{gwi:434621}}

Comments (5)