SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilaschnauzies

Update on Hosta Moved from NE to MO Last Winter

sheilaschnauzies
16 years ago

You may recall I posted last winter about attempting to move a couple hundred hosta divisions in the middle of winter from Nebraska to southeast Missouri. Just thought I'd stop by and update everyone on their progress.

As further background for those who may not know, I had several hundred hosta growing in my gardens back home which had been a gift from a friend, a lifetime hosta grower, who later passed away. I will put a link to the story about Scooty and her hostas below for those who are interested. When you get to the Pearl Soup website, just do a search for the author SheilaNE and then click the link on the story, "A Walk In The Hostas With Scooty Maguire."

ANYWAY the survival of these plants was very, very important to me. I am sad to report that of all the many dozens of plants I dug up and moved, (there were a lot of perennials along with the hostas too) only around three dozen have survived. They are all in one nice garden I put in for them out front and many are just "babies." None of the blues survived; everything that made it here is medium green or green/white. Interesting. Three heuchera and all of my sedums survived the move. No chameleon plants, no daisies, no mint, no phlox, basically nothing else. No roses either.

At least I have tons of photos of all Scooty's beautiful hosta and all my other plants growing happily in my old gardens. It is very sad that the new owners have no appreciation for gardens. I did have the opportunity to share many plants with my gardening neighbors before I moved, so I guess I did the best I could for the plants.

I just feel really, really bad:( I miss my babies.

I knew y'all would understand!!

Hope you are having a wonderful gardening summer! Hugs to all, -sheila

Here is a link that might be useful: Scooty Maguire's Hosta Story

Comments (11)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor