SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

You people helped me last year - Honeybells by steps update

aliska12000
14 years ago

They're doing really well, but now I wonder if I planted them too close to the steps as some leaves are lying on them already. What should I do about that? I cannot dig those and move them further out. Thank you so much you who encouraged me along the way with them.

I'm so happy with them as I was never able to grow anything there before, but I didn't try too hard with soil, etc.

Last fall I had some nice blooms, but they leaned, kind of disappointing, put them in hoop stakes. There will be too many this fall to stake, and I don't want to cut them off. The scent is heavenly, and they look white from the street but are fringed with pale lavender near the tips, lovely.

How long will it take for that area to fill in at the bottom in last photo or should I divide some next year and plant there?

You told me water water water which I did. For some reason the one side of the steps are a little bigger than the other. Maybe they don't get the same amount of sun by late morning because they are shaded by the rail or the apple tree on that side wicks up more water.

Anyway, I've got my 2 liter bottles all cut and watering spikes ready to go. They haven't needed it yet but may as the summer goes on. Should I hold back some water on the one side and give the other more? I think the runoff from the rain on the south (left) side soaks more of that area which could be a factor. Should I fertilize them and if so, with what?

Here is what I started with last May when I transplanted them from a neighbor:

{{gwi:1009247}}

Here they are by last July:

{{gwi:1012067}}

And here they were this morning. I'm so happy my iris finally bloomed. The ones on the other side aren't doing so well, so I think I'll move them and move some yellow ones in there.

I do want to make a border like we talked about and maybe plant something alongside but don't know what and am up to my eyeballs in work, so hard to keep up with it all, lawn is a total mess but green where there isn't junk, terrace is horrible, needs attention. It still looks a little messy there, and I'll try to neaten it all up if I can manage it.

My 2 beautiful, expensive Nova Zembla rhodies new last year suffered badly this winter, shows in the photo. I called the nursery and they told me I wasn't the only one, to prune off the dead branches and fertilize with Miracid which I did. I did notice that my neighbor's (different variety) which has been there for years looked pretty beat up, too. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

{{gwi:272256}}

Comments (13)