SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

Summer Recipes for all of us to enjoy

littleonefb
15 years ago

I mentioned this thread idea on another post and the response was positive. So I will start it with some wonderful refreshing cold summer recipes.

Seems like a good idea to start now, since we are going to hit with a heat wave starting today.

THIS COOL AND REFRESHING SALAD COMBO IS A SURPRISING MIX AND IT DOES SOUND STRANGE AT FIRST.

BUT LET ME ASSURE ALL OF YOU THAT IT WAS THE HIT OF THE DAY AT A RECENT COLLEGE GRADUATION PARTY THAT I BROUGHT IT TOO. EVEN THE YOUNG KIDS WHERE EATING IT, AS IF IT WAS CANDY, AND BEGGING MOMS TO GET THE RECIPE. NO ONE COULD BELIEVE THAT IT WAS AS EASY AS IT IS TO MIX AND END UP WITH SOMETHING SO GOOD.

CUCUMBER AND WATERMELON SALAD.

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups seedless watermelon cut in bit size pieces

3 cups peeled euro cuke cut in bite size pieces

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

salt and pepper to taste.

mix watermelon, cucumber and lime juice in a bowl. sprinkle with pepper to taste. (black pepper is fine to use, white if you prefer not to see the black).

add a bit of salt if desired, but add the salt just before serving.

My daughter, who is 25, makes this and sprinkles a bit of chilled white wine on it for her adult friends.

this also tastes wonderful with some of the juice, served over lime or lemon sherbet

This is a very old recipe that I grew up with and my grandmother made once a week during the summer.

BREAST OF CHICKEN ARGENTEUIL

SERVES 6-8

INGREDIENTS:

8 SKINLESS, BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS, VISIBLE FAT REMOVED

2 CUPS WINE, DRY OR SWEET. I USE THE CHEAPEST WHITE WINE THE STORE HAS.

1/2 TEASPOON DRIED TARRAGON

SALT TO TASTE, I JUST ADD A PINCH

2 PACKAGES (10 OUNCE SIZE) FROZEN ASPARAGUS SPEARS, OR AT LEAST 2 POUNDS FRESH ASPARAGUS.

FOR SAUCE:

1 CUP LOW FAT, FAT FREE OR REGULAR MAYONNAISE. (I USE LOW FAT)

1 TABLESPOONS SOUR CREAM, FAT FREE, OR LOW FAT. (I USE LOW FAT)

AT LEAST 8 RADISHES, WASHED AN SLICED THIN.

In a very large skillet, combine wine, tarragon and salt if using. Add chicken breasts. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes, turning once, until done.

Remove chicken breasts and liquid to a shallow dish. Let cool some, then cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, until well chilled.

Cook asparagus according to package directions, if using frozen, or cook fresh until done. Drain and cool, Refrigerate, covered until well chilled.

TO MAKE SAUCE:

In small bowl, combine mayonnaise and sour cream. Mix well and refrigerate.

TO SERVE:

Spread a thick layer of sauce on each breast. Either place on indivdual plates or arrange on a large platter with chicken overlapping each other.

Decorate the top of the chicken with the radishes and arrange the asparagus on the individual plates or around the chicken on the platter.

Add the reserved cooking liquid to the remaining sauce and mix well. Serve on the side as additional sauce for the chicken.

HERE'S A SIMPLE, BUT VERY REFRESHING PUNCH TO MAKE FOR A PARTY, POOL SIDE OR ANY TIME.

MARDI GRAS PUNCH

MAKES 14 SERVINGS, ABOUT 1 CUP EACH.

INDREDIENTS:

1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed

1 can (6 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate

1 quart apple juice, chilled

2 quarts ginger ale, chilled

rasberry, orange, lime, lemon sherbet or any sherbet of your choice.

In large punch bow, stir together concentrates and apple juice. Stir in ginger ale; scoop sherbet into balls and spoon into punch.

As the sherbet begins to melt a bit, it leaves a froth on the top of the punch.

When I am going to serve this outside during the summer, I mix up an extra batch of the punch, minus the sherbet. Then I freeze the punch in ice cube trays with fresh sliced strawberries in some of them and fresh blueberries in others. I add the cubes to the punch bowl, along with the sherbet and punch.

It helps to keep it cold and as it melts it just adds to the amount of punch in the bowl. I just keep adding the cubes as necessary and it really looks very attractive with the added fruit. It gives it a bit of additional flavor as well.

And one last recipe for now.

MACARONI AND SHRIMP SALAD THAT YOU CREATE YOURSELF.

INDREDIENTS;

ELBOW OR ANY SHAPE MACARONI PASTA THAT YOU WANT TO USE.

CANNED TINY SHRIMP, YOU DECIDE THE AMOUNT.

DICED UP GREEN, RED OR ANY COLOR PEPPER YOU WANT TO USE.

MAYONNAISE. YOU DECIDE THE AMOUNT.

Cook the desired amount of macaroni according to package directions for a macaroni salad. Drain and cool.

dice the amount of peppers you want to use

drain the number of cans of tiny shrimp you want to use.

Mix the macaroni, pepper and shrimp with the amount of mayonnaise you want to use.

Add salt and pepper to taste and chill well before serving.

If desired you can add onion, celery or what ever else you would like.

Hope you enjoy these.

Fran

Whose next with some summer recipes to share?

Comments (2)