SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juudyshouse2012

PNW Vegetable Garden - Warm weather plants - Now???

juudyshouse2012
16 years ago

This is my first year at planting a vegetable garden. I have 4 raised beds. So far I've planted lettuce, spinach, peas, broccoli, brussels sprouts, parsley, potatoes, carrots and onions outside and they are all doing fine. I still have not planted my cucumbers, bush & pole beans, tomatoes or sweet pepper plants outside.

I live in the foothills of the east cascades (North Bend, elev. 750 ft.)and the temps are still in the 40's at night. Can I plant the rest of my plants and seeds this weekend? I do have a tent protection that I am setting up for the tomato and pepper plants, so that should help keep the temps 5 to 10 degrees warmer. But, the cucumber and bean plants are in another bed and I don't have protection for that bed. I do have chicken wire cages over the other beds to keep out deer, rabbits and birds, and I guess I could through a tarp over at night. I have tomato and pepper plants, but seeds for the cucumber and beans.

Also, how much water do vegetable plants need? I've been watering them in the morning and evening, but they seem pretty dry at night when I get home from work. Should I use a timer and water one more time mid-day?

I can use all the help I can get!

Comments (8)