SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

I Started These Tomato Seeds This Week

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

Well, if I don't get my tomato seeds planted before Super Bowl Sunday, I start feeling like it is "too late" and I am "behind". Since Super Bowl Sunday is almost here, I decided it was time to get busy. So, I started the following seeds this past Monday:

CHERRY/GRAPE/CURRANT (11 VARIETIES):

Black Cherry

Coyote

Dr. Carolyn

Husky Cherry Gold

Husky Cherry Red

Ildi

Orange Santa

Snow White

Sungold

Sweet Million

Tess's Land Race Currant

PASTE/PLUM (7 VARIETIES):

Grandma Mary's Paste

Jersey Devil

Martino's Roma

Principe Borghese

Rio Grande

San Marzano Redorta

Viva Italia

BEEFSTEAK/SLICER (60 VARIETIES):

Aunt Gertie's Gold

Aunt Ginny's Purple

Beefmaster

Beefsteak

Better Boy

Big Beef

Black Krim

Brandy Boy

Brandywine (Sudduth's)

Bucks County

Bush Big Boy

Bushsteak

Caspian Pink

Cherokee Chocolate

Cherokee Green

Cherokee Purple

Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red

Cuostralee

Debbie

Earl's Faux

Early Girl

Extreme Bush

Fourth of July

German

German Johnson

Granny Cantrell's German Red

Hillbilly

Husky Gold

Husky Pink

Husky Red

Indian Stripe

Jerry's German Giant

Kellogg's Breakfast

Little Brandywine

Little Lucky

Lucky Cross

Marianna's Peace

Momotaro

Mortgage Lifter

Mortgage Lifer Estler's

Mortgage Lifter Red

Mortgage Lifter VFN

Nebraska Wedding

Neve's Azorean Red

New Big Dwarf

Pineapple

Polish Dwarf

Porterhouse

Pruden's Purple

Old Virginia

Rose

Royal Hillbilly

Sunray

Stump of the World

Tennessee Britches

Tennessee Heirloom

True Black Brandywine

Valena Pink

Wapsipinicon Peach

Zogola

These are my spring/summer main crop, cherries (that may last until the fall freeze if they stay disease-free), paste/plums for drying, canning and lots of salsa, and lots of beefsteaks and slicers for sandwiches, salads, and more.

Later in the spring, usually around May 1st to 15th, I'll start my heat-lovers, like Sun Leaper, Heat Wave, etc. as well as my long-keepers, for fall tomatoes. These "late" plants will go into the ground in late June, probably. Sunray is an exception. Since it's my first year to grow it, I'm giving it a dual trial--in the spring planting for fresh eating and in the fall planting as a long-keeper.

Has anyone else started seeds yet?

Dawn

Comments (24)

• melissia
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Youre planting all these tomatos? Oh, my gosh -- I would love to see it when all these have been transplated and growing !!!!

Melissia in Marshall County

• scottokla
    16 years ago

Well, I started some romas and some poblano peppers today. That's all.

(covers head in shame...)

• Related Discussions

Getting a late start

Q

Comments (3)
    Okieken, POTATOES: Well, I'm at the opposite end of the state from you, but I don't think it is too late to plant potatoes this week. Will your yield likely be a little less than it would have been if you'd planted earlier? Yes. However, it would still be worth it. You might want to plant your seed potatoes about 9" to 12" apart instead of the usual 12" to 18" apart. Why? Since they're being planted a bit late, the plants probably won't be as big at the time tuber initiation begins. Thus, they won't need as much room in between plants. Also, by planting closer together, you'll essentially have more plants per square foot and will get a higher overall yield per square foot. If, by chance, the weather stays cooler than usual longer than usual this spring, you still may get a great yield. There's just so many variable. I planted late in 2002, but we had a really mild, cool (almost cold) May here in southern Oklahoma and I had a great crop. With our weather, you just never know. If you can't get potatoes in the ground by the end of this week, though, I'd say any later than that might be too late. Perhaps someone who gardens in northeastern Oklahoma can give you advice better tailored to your specific part of the state. For next year, plan to plant your potatoes about 4 weeks prior to your last anticipated frost, or sometime between mid-February in southernmost Oklahoma to mid-March in northernmost Oklahoma. Potato plants generallly grow and produce best here during the spring days when daytime highs stay between roughly 60 or 65 to 75 degrees and nighttime lows are between 45 to 55 degrees. Well, I think we have weeks and weeks of weather left in that range....more so in the northern part of the state where you live than down south where I live. Even more importantly, tuber initiation continues for some time after that--until the high temperatures begin to regularly exceed 85 degrees, which is months away still. You can even get some initiation of new tubers after daytime highs are exceeding 85 degrees, but potatoes set at those temperatures will be smaller and perhaps a little lower in quality. TOMATOES: As for the tomatoes, if you are growing them inside under lights, they will be a plantable size by about the last week in April or the first week in May, assuming they sprout pretty quickly. If you can get them out into the sunlight and heat for a few hours a day as they grow, they'll reach a plantable size even more quickly. Honestly, tomato plants that are planted in cold soil grow so slowly....and, when you plant them later, they are going into warmer soil and grow more quickly. Thus, I am not sure that plants planted a few weeks late are going to be a problem. If you look at your plants three weeks from now and say to yourself that there is "no way" they will be big enough to plant any time soon, then go ahead and buy a six-pack of your favorite variety or two. I don't like to put tomato plants into the ground until soil temps are regularly exceeding 55 degrees, and 60 degrees is even better. Here in southern Oklahoma our soil temps are still in the 50s and haven't even hit the 60s yet despite some 80 degree days. (The nights are running a little cold still.) Up there in northern Oklahoma, your soil temperatures run a bit colder than ours for a while in the spring, so it is still kinda early to transplant tomatoes, unless you want to put a couple into the ground with Wall-O-Water protection just to see if you can push them into quicker growth and protection. We usually have an Oklahoma Gardening Forum spring plant swap in mid to late-April and I am sure that, if there is a swap this year, some of us who raise our own tomatoes will bring our excess plants. I always have about a million extra tomato plants to share. Hope this info helps. Dawn
    ...See More

HAVE: I have no seeds, just started! But I have tomato seeds

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm looking for either bell peppers or sweet peppers. I never really liked them but a friend of mine bought a package from costco and told me to try them raw. I was like really? So I tried it and they tasted great. Sweet and with the bell pepper taste so I want to try my hand at growing some :) I bought 2 sweet peppers from Home depot. Does anyone know if I can save seeds from those plants? Email me at splitsec002@hotmail.com so we can do a trade or if you don't have what I'm looking for I can still send you some seeds.
    ...See More

Did I start my Tomato seeds too early?

Q

Comments (10)
    I think you are okay with starting your tomatoes when you did. Just don't over-fertilize to get rapid growth; keep them in appropriately sized containers (you may have to transplant them twice, once into larger cells and then into quart pots); and if you simply MUST put some of them out before April, you can protect them from frost with a cover (I use big black plastic pots). Check with your county extension agent to see when the usual last frost date is for your area. For us here in Central Texas, it's March 15. You're going to have a magnificent tomato harvest!
    ...See More

started tomato seeds about 3 weeks ago

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi all--since I don't have much window space for growing seedlings, I've been growing seedlings under fluorescent lights for 3 years now. Leggy seedlings indicates insufficient light. But insufficient light isn't just about the bulb type. There are two things reasons this may occur: the light source isn't close enough to the surface of the seedings (3" or so for small seedlings) and/or lighting doesn't provide the full spectrum. You don't have to buy grow light bulbs or full spectrum bulbs to accomplish this. If you install one warm fluorescent light bulb and one cool fluorescent bulb into each 4' shop light you will be providing enough of the spectrum to keep your seedlings happy. Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening under lights
    ...See More
  • rjj1
    16 years ago

Don't feel bad Scott. Dawn has a lot of kids to feed. :-)

I winter sowed a few things this week. Tomatoes, salvia, sunflowers, coneflower, and a few other things that don't come to mind.

randy

• ilene_in_neok
    16 years ago

I started my inside tomato seed on January 11. They're all up although some took some extra coaxing. Most have two sets of leaves. Normally I plant somewhere around January 20, but my plants aren't really as big as I'd like by time to set out. So I thought I'd do earlier just to see if that helped. These are the seed I started inside:

Kelloggs Breakfast
    Martinos Roma
    Mule Team
    Nebraska Wedding
    Striped German
    Watermelon Beefsteak
    Big Red
    Black Krim

I wintersowed these:

Large Red Grape
    Marglobe

These are all new to me, as were the plants I got last year from Tomato Man. I spent $60 last year buying tomato plants and probably didn't recoup my investment last year. And that's kind of important to me. But I didn't have much choice since the late freeze killed most of the tomatoes I had grown from seed. Older, wiser now. Well, older anyway. I ended up with enough to can about 21 quarts, but I can't use them in just anything because I read on another forum that heirloom tomatoes aren't acid enough and need 1 TBSP of vinegar added to each jar. ACK! They're so tart, about the only thing I can use them in is chili, and that's only because, in my family we always added a little vinegar to our chili bowl (Germans...what can I say?). I would think heirloom varieties would be more likely to have enouch acid naturally than would the newer kinds.

I have been having trouble finding a good paste tomato. I planted Roma for several years, with mixed results. Never anything fantastic. Last year tried Cody's Paste, which was supposed to be prolific, with larger fruit than normal. I don't know if it was all the rain or what but I got one tomato that was as advertised and all the rest were small. They were few and far between, too. I guess I'll try a different one each year till I find one that does good for me. Last year's plants that I got from The Tomato Man, some did well and some did not. I saved seed from them. I thought I'd do Mortgage Lifter and Arkansas Traveler for fall tomatoes, as they did pretty well last year. But when the time comes to plant that seed, I probably will add a few others.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Melissia,

Well, my tomato garden always looks incredibly lovely in mid- to late-May, before the pests and diseases arrive, so I'll try to get DS or DH to take some photos and post them while everything looks so wonderful. We have an ongoing problem with them keeping the camera FULL of fire photos (son is a professional firefighter and both son and hubby are volunteer firefighters) and I am totally inept at taking photos and posting them. What I really need is my very own camera that they are not allowed to touch....and then I would have to get them to teach me what do to after I take the photos. Then, there is also the ongoing problem that just taking care of the acres (15 of them) and keeping everything mowed, weed-eated,etc. all spring through fall keeps me REALLY busy. And we won't even talk about the hours I spend in the garden. Suffice it to say that I have a gorgeous "farmer's tan" long before summer arrives.

Marshall County is not so far from Love County. If you want to, you can come visit in May.....or, better yet, in June when I have tomatoes to give away. : )

By the way, I HAVE TO plant this many tomatoes. Heirloom tomatoes, especially, are like a fine wine.....every one of them has its own unique flavor, and once you've tasted them, you are addicted and MUST have them. I grow lots of hybrids, too, cause I have tons and tons of family members, friends, neighbors, DH's co-workers, etc. to whom I supply tomatoes for as long as the big harvest lasts. A lot of them are perfectly content with the flavor of the hybrids, so I grow lots of them to give away. (I'm not knocking the flavor of hybrids, as many of them taste perfectly fine, just not "as fine" as my beloved heirlooms.)

Scott,

Don't cover your head in shame! (grinning) When I lived in Fort Worth, and had a shady backyard, and two shady sideyards, and a fairly shady front yard, I was excited if I found enough of a sunny spot to plant eight tomato plants, and generally only six of them got all the sunshine they needed.

THEN we moved to acreage in the country, and my tomato beds expanded accordingly. It is easy to overdo it when you have all the space you need. One year I had 400 tomato plants, which was too many.....I couldn't even keep up with picking all the ripe ones, and I picked them every single day. It became a "chore" and not a "labor of love". Now I only grow 150 to 200 plants and it is so much more manageable.

Randy,

And do you know that my list of "kids" grows every year? For example, I give tomatoes (vast numbers of them) to a very dear older couple to whom we are very close. How many tomatoes do I share with them in a good year? Enough that they can share them with their kids, grandkids and great-grandkids. In a good year, there's enough for everyone! I sure hope that this year is a good year, as everyone is really hungry for tomatoes. (Last year, due to the wet weather, was not a really good year.)

I hope to get some wintersowing done this weekend. I'm behind!

Ilene,

What a great list of tomatoes you're growing!

I have found paste tomatoes to be less impressive in taste than I'd hoped, and I have tried so many different ones that it boggles the mind.

The plain old Roma is probably the most reliable one I've ever grown. It produces large numbers of tomatoes in spite of the heat. Flavor-wise, though, some of the heirlooms are vastly superior, including Amish Paste and Opalka. The last time I grew Amish Paste, though, it seemed like it took FOREVER for it to flower and fruit. And, even though the flavor of Opalka was superior, it had tons of foliar problems that drove me nuts. So, this year I am trying several paste tomatoes that are new to me, and am still hoping to hit the jackpot and find "the one" that is exactly what I've been looking for. I did love Martino's Roma last year! It was so loaded with tomatoes that I swear the plant had more fruit than foliage. And they were pretty tasty too!

My favorite sauces, though, come from using a mixture of the big heirlooms....like Black Krim, Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Marianna's Peace,etc. They do take a lot longer to cook down to the right consistency, but they make a sauce that is out of this world!

Have you heard anything lately about the Tomatoman? The last I heard, he was in a serious battle with some sort of cancer and had moved into an assisted living center. I hope he is doing well. He's a legend in the tomato world in this country.

Dawn

• melissia
    16 years ago

Yall are all professionals compared to me . . . I never even heard of winter sowing -- I looked it up though -- what did u do yours in?

should I start seeds now or wait and put them directly in the ground? Yall are making me feel like Im getting behind. : )

Dawn -- I would love to come see -- for real --

Looking forward to learning from you all !!!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melissia,

You can winter sow in anything that will hold soil.

I just use regular seed starting flats and sterile seed-starting mix like Jiffy Mix or Pro-Mix.

Lots of people use 'recycled' containers like soda bottles (cut so the top part lifts off as needed) or yogurt cups or whatever.

You can wintersow directly into prepared beds, but it is chancey. Your seeds that are sown directly into the ground are at the mercy of the wind, rain, etc. and may wash away, blow away or rot if the ground stays too wet. I keep my wintersown stuff on the porch until it sprouts. Then, I try to move it to a sheltered place where it gets some sunlight during the day, but not too much out in the open where the wild things, pets and wind can tear it up.
    At night, the wintersown stuff has to go back up onto the porch or the bunnies (and other wild things) will eat the plants.

There are some things I wintersow directly into the ground, including larkspur, poppies, chamomile, catmint, chives and veronica. Some of these also reseed themselves pretty regularly so I only have to throw out new seeds once every few years.

Some plants, like echinacea (purple coneflower) and hollyhocks do better when wintersown, I think, as they need the period of cold weather to help induce germination.

And you really aren't behind. We have oodles and oodles of cold weather, sleet, snow, hard frosts, etc. to get through before we can put any warm season crops in the ground. Cool season crops, on the other hand, can go in beginning in mid-February, which will be here before we know it.

Dawn

• Lynn
    16 years ago

I'm planting my tomato seeds this weekend. I have not finalized the list yet. I usually get my trays ready, count the cells, spread all the seeds out, see how many I can plant, and get after it! I don't know what I'll end up with but I did order some seed of Sun Gold and Burpee's Long Keeper this year. I'll let you know when I get done...

Lynn

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lynn,

It's starting to feel like Spring, isn't it? Have you grown SunGold before? We just love them. I eat so many of the little SunGold tomatoes while working in the garden on lovely summer days that I don't even have to go inside and eat lunch 'cause I'm already full!

Have fun planting!

Dawn

• backyardmomma
    16 years ago

Hi Ya'll, wow- you all must have more room than I do. I have a small little backyard with a few sunny patches to support about 12 tomato plants total. This year I was looking at doing a few for canning- either canning stewed tomatos or sauce (dawn I would love your advice on that one later on!) Anyways, I also wanted some of the usual salad/cherry varieties as I am officialy addicted to my summer salads! So any advice on what to plant from anyone? Just thought I would get some input as I don't have a lot of room for trial and error! Will it be possible to have both canning varieties and the usual salad stuff between only 12 plants? (am wondering how many plants its going to take to make it worthwhile to can them!?) This is my third year for gardening and my first year to attempt canning!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Backyardmomma!

Welcome to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum! I hope you'll keep us posted on how your garden fares this year.

If you are raising your own tomatoes from seed, the sky is the limit and you can grow whatever you want. However, if you are purchasing transplants, you're limited to what the stores offer, so I'll give suggestions for both.

I. If raising your own from seed:

NOTE: If you have a good independent nursery in your area, some of these might be available there as transplants. Generally, though, you have to raise the following from seed as they are not normally carried by the usual big box stores like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Home Depot.

Cherry Tomatoes: Black Cherry (maroon), SunGold (golden orange), Sweet Million (red), Ildi or Dr. Carolyn (yellow) or Rosalita (pink)

Small Slicers for Salads: Fourth of July (red, one plant produces tons and tons of tomatoes), Porter (pink, produces all summer in spite of the heat)

Larger Slicer for Salads or Sandwiches: Black Krim or Cherokee Purple (maroonish-purplish), Brandy Boy (pink), Nebraska Wedding (orange) or Big Beef (red)

For sauces, canned tomatoes or salsas: Martino's Roma (red and a very heavy producer), Opalka (red, outstanding flavor, large fruit) or San Marzano Redorta (superb flavor, larger fruit than regular San Marzano)

II. If you buy transplants:

NOTE: The following are generally fairly easy to find in the spring.

Cherry Tomatoes: Sweet 100, Husky Red Cherry, Large Red Cherry, Jolly (2001 AAS Winner) or Juliet (1999 AAS winner). All produce well, taste good and have good disease resistance.

Small slicers for salads: Jet Star VF (red, good flavor, but specificall not recommended for canning because it is low-acid), Early Girl VFF (very early, red, dependable producer, or Super Fantastic (red, produces all summer)

Larger slicer for salads or sandwiches: Better Boy VFN (red, heavy producer, disease resistant, great flavor), Big Beef (1994 AAS Winner,red, great producer, great flavor) Celebrity (red, 1984 AAS winner, very reliable, great disease resistance, good flavor), or Homestead 24 F (red, heavy yield, good flavor).

For sauces, canned tomatoes or salsas: Roma VF (compact plants, good disease resistance, heavy producer, good flavor), LaRoma II VFFNA (larger plants and larger tomatoes than Roma VF, outstanding disease resistance, heavy yields, good flavor), or Viva Italia VFFNA (red, very disease resistant, heavy yield, sets well in the hottest weather, good for fresh eating or canning/cooking).

You can have both fresh-eating and canning tomatoes. I would plant at least six paste types for canning. Keep in mind that that paste-type tomatoes are almost all determinates so they are shorter and more compact and can be grown a little closer together than the larger indeterminates.

If I could have only 12, and I wanted to do a moderate amount of canning, I would plant the following:

2 cherries: 1 SunGold and 1 Sweet Million or Sweet 100
    2 small slicers: 1 Fourth of July and 1 Jet Star
    2 large slicers: 1 Brandy Boy and 1 Better Boy
    6 paste tomatoes 3 Roma and 3 Viva Italia

I might be tempted to grow Window Box Roma (a Roma bred for containers) in a two to four window boxes sitting on the ground in front of the other tomatoes, with 2 plants per window box). Or, if all the other tomatoes are in a row in the ground, I might plant a "border" of Window Box Romas around them. They don't get too tall and produce fairly well. (Even with a lot of space, I am always looking for a way to squeeze in a few more plants).

Good luck.

Dawn

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

With the exception of Mortgage Lifter (which was seed that is about 8 years old), all the tomato varieties I planted on Monday have sprouted! Guess I'll try Mortgage Lifter again with fresher seed.

It is so wonderful to see all the little green sprouts.

Now that they have sprouted, the tomato flat is coming off the seedling heat mat and the pepper seeds are going onto it.

Dawn

• Lynn
    16 years ago

Got mine planted today. I planted......

Galina
    San Marzano
    Jaune Flammee
    Heatwave
    Arkansas Traveler
    Green Zebra
    Burpee's Long Keeper
    Sun Gold
    Nebraska Wedding
    Porter
    Early Girl
    Jubilee

That's 12 different tomatoes, which means if I only grow one of each I'll have 12 plants. Some I really love so I'll have to have more than one.....hubby made the comment as I was planting that it looked like we'd have a "tomato garden" this year. :)

I've not tried jaune Flammee, Heatwave or Jubilee before so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.

Lynn

• brandy222
    16 years ago

Dawn,

you commented about wintersowing and I wondered if you could go into more detil about wintersowing?

For example, you said "There are some things I wintersow directly into the ground, including larkspur, poppies, chamomile, catmint, chives and veronica." I was under the impression that wintersowing meant starting seeds INDOORS (either a greenhouse or in the house.) So how and when do you sow into the ground?

Ok, also you said "Some plants, like echinacea (purple coneflower) and hollyhocks do better when wintersown, I think, as they need the period of cold weather to help induce germination." Do you start these seeds indoors? I would love to plant some hollyhocks. Last year I planted some and they grew to about 2-3 inches and then just stayed that way. I figured they didn't get enough sunlight in that location.

Thank you again for your advice. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Brandy

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lynn,

I see that you and I still like many of the same tomatoes. LOL

I think you will like Jubilee and Jaunne Flammee'. Both are really great performers in our heat, but your heat probably is worse than ours. Heatwave is iffy. It does produce in the July and August heat but the flavor is a little lacking (but you know that I say that based on my "heirloom-preferring" tastebuds). In your soil and your growing conditions, it may taste better than it did in my soil and growing conditions. I do think Heat Wave II tasted better to me than the original Heat Wave.

Brandy,

Sorry if I confused you by referring to seeds sown directly into the ground as wintersown. On GardenWeb, winter sown does refer to seeds sown in containers and exposed to the cold temps. To me, though, anything I plant in the winter in wintersown, which probably would drive the people on the wintersowing forum nuts! LOL

If you want a good explanation of wintersowing, go to the wintersowing forum here at GardenWeband read Trudi's FAQ. It is very informative.

I sow larkspur, poppies, etc. into the ground anytime between November and February, depending on when I get around to it. This seeds will sprout in the cold and form tiny ground-hugging rosettes. You won't see much vertical growth, but they are making roots all that time and, when the spring conditions are right, they start to grow like crazy. (Lots of cool season weeds, by the way, grow exactly the same way....germinating in fall or winter's cooler weather and flying under the radar until spring).

Some plants don't like to be transplanted, and for me, poppies and larkspur are two of those. (I have transplanted poppies before, but they aren't crazy about it because they have long taproots.) So, wintersowing them in containers doesn't work because they get mad when you transplant them into the ground.

As far as the purple coneflowers and hollyhocks....I tried numerous times to start them indoors under lights. I was able to do it with the hollyhocks pretty easily, but the coneflowers just didn't want to sprout. Yet, they would reseed readily in my garden. So, I wintersowed some a couple of years ago and had great results.

As for the hollyhocks, there is no reason to take up a lot of space indoors under lights because I can direct sow them into the ground (if it is not a rainy winter) or in flats. They transplant easily and are pretty cold hardy.
    I seem to get higher germination rates with the ones sown outside than I do with the ones sowed inside. I love hollyhocks and have them every year. However, if a really, really wet rainy year, the seed often rots before it can germinate because I have horrible, slow-draining red clay soil.

Your problem with hollyhocks last year probably had more to do with the excessively wet weather, the lack of sunshine as it seemed to stay cloudy FOREVER, and the late cold spells. Those three conditions caused lots of problems with plants here that are usually pretty easy to grow. Between "the cold" and "the wet", a lot of roots were stunted and the plants just didn't grow.

I noticed this weekend that hollyhocks are already sprouted in my garden. They are small and low to the ground, with 2 or 3 leaves about the size of a nickle or so. You could direct sow hollyhocks in the ground now or wintersow some in a flat or other container.

My main challenge with wintersowing is that the cats like to lay on any flat I plant anything in, even if I have lids on the flats! The dogs, of course, like to walk on the containers, and the wild things, like racoons and possums, like to paw through the soil looking for whatever. Also, if I am not careful, the wind carries them all away, even when I think I have them in places where they are sheltered from the wind.

Dawn

• backyardmomma
    16 years ago

Dawn, Wow- thanks so much for the information! The advice helped sooo much because like I said- I am short on space and really want to try some recommended plants for the canning this year. I looked up Martino's Roma- sounds like I am going to give it a try. Do you have some good online seed sale sites that you'd recommend?
    Hey thanks again for the advice. I've been "listening in" for a few months and really have learned a lot from everyone!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Backyardmomma,

You're welcome, and I hope the info helps.

There are lots of good retailers, but I am partial to some of the medium-sized ones that carry lots of heirlooms AND tend to ship more quickly than the larger companies like Park and Burpee (not that I have anything against those two seed companies.....just that I like smaller, more customer service-oriented companies).

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (www.rareseeds.com) is a favorite of mine. They ship very quickly and they always put a LOT of seeds in the packets. Victory Seeds (www.victoryseeds.com) is another. Seed Savers Exchange (www.seedsavers.org) is a non-profit organization that offers great heirlooms AND I support their mission of saving the heirloom seeds of the world from extinction. Heirloom Tomatoes (www.heirloomtomatoes.net) is a small operation, started by the late Chuck Wyatt and continued by his friend Donna. Mariseeds.com is another sort of home-grown operation, but you have to take her variety recommendations with a grain of salt because she is very enthusiastic about everything. Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Tomato Growers Supply Company (www.tomatogrowers.com). They are an outstanding firm although slightly slower to ship than some of the others (and, to be fair, they are a much larger and perhaps much busier company).

Dawn

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How's everybody's seedlings doing?

I took my babies outside to sit in real sunlight for 1 hour yesterday (full sunlight) and 3 hours today (filtered sunlight).

The following are growing well and have been transplanted from the original peat pellets (containing numerous seeds in one pellet) to 9 oz. paper cups with Jiffy Mix and only 1 or 2 plants per cup. Some of them have 2 true leaves and others have 4.

Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Beefmaster
    Beefsteak
    Better Boy
    Big Beef
    Black Cherry
    Black Krim
    Brandy Boy
    Brandywine (Suduth's)
    Buck's County
    Burpee's Big Mama
    Bush Big Boy
    Bushsteak
    Caspian Pink
    Cherokee Green
    Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red
    Coyote
    Dr. Carolyn
    Earl's Faux
    Early Girl
    Extreme Bush
    Fourth of July
    German Johnson
    Grandma Mary's Paste
    Granny Cantrell's German Red
    Hillbilly
    Husky Cherry Gold
    Husky Pink
    Husky Red
    Ildi
    Indian Stripe
    Jerry's German Giant
    Jersey Devil
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Little Brandywine
    Little Lucky
    Lucky Cross
    Marianna's Peace
    Martino's Roma
    Momotaro
    Mortgage Lifter, Estler's
    Mortgage Lifter, Red
    Mortgage Lifter, VFN
    Nebraska Wedding
    Neve's Azorean Red
    Old Virginia
    Orange Santa
    Pineapple
    Porterhouse
    Principe' Borghese
    Pruden's Purple
    Rio Grande
    Royal Hillbilly
    San Marzano Redorta
    Snow White
    Stump of the World
    Sungold
    Sunray
    Sweet Million
    Tennessee Britches
    Tennessee Heirloom
    Tess' Land Race Currant
    True Black Brandywine
    Valena Pink
    Viva Italia
    Wapsipinicon Peach

The following seedlings either didn't germinate or did germinate and then quickly died, so I'm reseeding them tomorrow. Thought I'd do them today, but the fire pagers kept going off and I got sidetracked. I don't usually have this many "crop failures" when starting tomato seed, but some of the seed is older....and I used peat pellets. I've noticed with peat pellets that I have more problems than when I use Jiffy Mix, so I'll be using Jiffy Mix for the "problem children" on their second go-round.

Cherokee Chocolate
    Cherokee Purple
    Cuostralee
    Debbie
    German
    Husky Cherry Red
    Husky Gold
    Mortgage Lifter
    New Big Dwarf
    Rose
    Zogola

If the weather cooperates, I can start transplanting into the ground here in zone 7B in about 5 weeks. Yippee!

On a pretty sunny and warm (69 degrees!) day like today, I really start wishing I could plant now. But, of course, it is way too early. We are still having nighttime lows in the upper 20s and lower 30s, and the soil temps are too low (barely) also.

Dawn

• scottokla
    16 years ago

Mine are doing fairly well. I have started about 8 tomato and 8 pepper varieties, either 9 or 18 of each (little juffy packs of 9). The original tomato plants from the last couple of days in Jan are in need of re-potting.

The cheap Atwoods seed actually germinated better than most of the others. The Brandywine Red virtually all germinated, the other Brandywines were about 50%.

My seeds from TomatoGrowers arrived 9 days after I ordered online. It then took me 4 days to get them started (yesterday). Some of those pepper seeds cost me 30 cents each! I only did one per slot on those. I'm not going to thin and throw away those little guys!

I think I may have started a week or two too early. When trying to raise my lights to stay above the plants, one of my fixtures stopped working. Can you believe it was the only one I had that was made in the USA. The Chinese ones have taken the same bumps and all still work. Go figure.

After another inch or rain this past weekend to go with the 2.5 inches the week before that, and some frozen precip coming, it looks like my garden will not support a tractor for tilling until at least March, and that is if it gets hot and dry. It has been a long time since the clay was dry enough to use the big tractor. A LONG time. I should have not left the dirt piled up in it from last fall's landscape work. I can't even plant potatoes now.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scott,

Wow! I can't believe your soil is so wet. We have been so dry down here that I sometimes forget that most of Oklahoma has had a lot of moisture.

Prior to this weekend's 2" of rain, we'd only had 0.40" of rain this year, and very little in the preceding 4 months.
    Our clay soil in the pastures has cracks about 1" wide, and that doesn't usually happen until mid-summer. (sigh) The soil around the house, barn, garden and yard is somewhat improved, so no cracks there.

Maybe you did start your plants a little early, but I always think that early is better. Larger transplants usually take off and produce much earlier. If the tomato plants are outgrowing the lights, say, by late March, you can set them outside every morning in a location with some protection from wind and full sun and bring them in every evening. I have left my plants on the porch for up to a month sometimes. Does it get old carrying them in and out? Yes, but it is worth it. Pepper plants just have to tough it out indoors (maybe in a sunny window?) if they outgrow the lights, though, because exposure to colder air or soil can stunt their growth and, especially, their productivity, for the entire year.

As far as seed quality goes, I've never really seen much difference in germination rates regardless which company I purchased seed from, with one or two exceptions. Many, many of the seed companies in this country get their seed from the same wholesalers so it doesn't matter as much as people think when it comes to choosing a retailer. The exceptions, by the way, are Seed Savers' Exchange, Victory Seeds, and Baker Creek Heirloom Seed. I believe SSE and BCHS both either raise all their own seed, or contract out the raising of the seed to select growers who grow just for them. Victory Seeds has great foil packets that are superior to the packaging used by most other companies.

I hope it dries out there soon (although the forecast isn't looking good for that, is it?) so you can work the soil.

Dawn

• chalstonsc
    16 years ago

Dawn-
    My first round (Sungold, Black Cherry, Kimberly, Matina, Martino's Roma and Sprite) are now four inches or so tall and potted up for the second time to 18 oz. cups this past weekend. They've gotten as much as several hours of sunlight through screens every day for a couple of weeks now. Plan to get these earlies in their moveable containers in 2-3 weeks. Second round started this past weekend includes Cherokee Purple, Opalka, Eva Purple Ball, Porter and Anna Russian. But what I'm really looking forward to is the Fall crop using your timing, as you may recall you explained to me last year. Good luck with the reseeding.

Tom

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Tom!

It's nice to hear from you and to hear that your spring seedlings are off to such a wonderful start.

What is your target date to plant outside? Technically, our last frost date here is about the third week in March, but every time I try to plant out that early, we have a "late frost". So, I think I'll aim for mid-April unless the weather stays REALLY, REALLY warm.

A cold front was due here earlier today and our temps were supposed to plunge 30 degrees, so I didn't carry the plants outside today.....and the cold front isn't here yet! So, I wish I had taken them out to get some sun, but I didn't.

Depending on what this coming cold front brings us, I would like to move all my seedlings off the light shelf and out to the screened-in porch to stay 24/7 by March 1st. Of course, if the temps were to go too cold at night, I'd bring them back in again.

You and I need to stay in touch this year and compare weather patterns and tomato results. Of all the people on the Tomato Forum, I think our weather most resembles one another's....at least in terms of summer heat and humidity and the critical timing of fall tomatoes....oh, and disease issues as well.

Later!

Dawn

• chalstonsc
    16 years ago

Dawn-
    I expect to have eight plants in moveable containers
    sometime during the first week of March. Rest will go at the end of March/first week of April. Average last frost here is March 11, so I'll be pushing it but can move them into the garage overnight if I need to. We haven't had a frost for a couple of weeks now and next week is supposed to be mostly in the low 70's. Azaleas have started blooming...
    Tom

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tom,

Azaleas blooming! Oh, I am so jealous. Our high temp today is supposed to be 37 degrees, so nothing much is blooming here yet. The plum trees and peach trees are very close to budbreak though.

We have had some high temps in the 70s and 80 in both Jan. and Feb., but also have had low temps in the mid-teens. The wild swings in the weather always make Feb. and Mar. very interesting weather....and often lead to early blooms on fruit trees and subsequent freezing of the young fruit.

I usually put a couple of tomato plants in moveable containers about the third week in Feb. and set them outside on the concrete apron/patio on the south side of the garage/barn. If I used purchased plants from Lowe's (usually Better Bush or Early Girl) that I buy in 5" or 6" pots in the Dallas area, I usually get the first ripe tomatoes the last week in April. It is just one little way of extending the season and getting earlier ripe tomatoes. I may purchase and plant these over the weekend.

If I watch carefully and purchase the tomato plants as soon as I see them in the stores, their main stalk is huge for Feb., probably as big around as my little finger. Sometimes they are even blooming when I buy them. Do I pinch off the blooms? No way. The sole reason for these plants is to get early tomatoes. Last year we had our first ripe one on April 25th. I usually get my first ripe fruit from the in-the-ground tomatoes no later than Memorial Day weekend, if the weather cooperates.

Dawn

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting