SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Can We Fire All The Weather Forecasters?

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

I know it is not right to blame the meteorologists for the weather. After all, they study it, predict it, and explain it to us, but they certainly don't "create" it.

All week long our forecast called for temps tonight around 9-11 degrees here and then a pretty good warm-up after that. (Not the kind of warmup that gets you above freezing, but it was getting us closer to going above freezing.)

Tonight, the forecast abruptly changed from 9 to 11 degrees above zero for tonight's low to a range of lows from -2 to about 6 or 8. In many parts of the Texoma region, those temps will be record lows. Have we not suffered enough?

And then our Saturday night low, which was "supposed to be" in the teens was downgraded to be a degrees lower as well. How is it that on the noon news we expected 9 to 11 degrees tonight and by the 5 p.m. news we're expecting -2 to 8? Did some of you turn on big fans and blow your cold air down our way, because if you did, we don't want it.

I'm tired of being cold, and I know we've been fairly warm here compared to many of you.

And, not to ruin the fun of having the temperatures warm up in the next few days, but our local TV forecaster just ruint next weekend for us by giving us a 50% chance of rain/snow. It looks like this is going to be a January to remember (and I don't mean that in a good way).

Diane, finish your homeschooling classes early on Friday so you can ship the kids down here to play in the snow. With a 50% chance, it's likely we'll have some. Now, if he'd said we had a 100% chance, I'd know it absolutely wasn't going to fall at all. Of course, the news is on 4 times a day, so he can change his forecast 2 dozen times between now and next Friday.

And, just to make it clear, I think the KXII weather team are fine people and are as accurate as any other forecaster I've seen and better than many of the others. I'm nor really blaming them for the weather, but I wish they could give us "good news" instead of "bad news".

Dawn

Comments (20)