SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Greater Boston area Spring swap - Part 2

terrene
15 years ago

Hi everybody, this is the Greater Boston area swap thread, Part 2.

Date: June 7, 2008

Rain Date: June 8, 2008

Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM (people are welcome to stay longer)

We will swap plants, seedlings, seeds, gardening items, or anything else garden-related you wish to give away or arrange to swap. After the swap, there are some nice places in the area to visit. I live very close to Walden Pond and White Pond in Concord; Verrill's Farm, Mahoney's Nursery, and other farms in Concord; about 5 miles away from Stonegate Nursery and Drumlin Farm in Lincoln; and about 7 miles from Russell's Nursery in Wayland. Garden in the Woods is only another 1-2 miles beyond Russell's. Also Blanchette Gardens in Carlisle is 5-6 miles away. If anybody else has any suggestions about things to do or places to see, please feel free to chime in.

I'd like to do a roll call and consolidate the information from Greater Boston swap Part 1, so please post the following -

1) Confirm whether you're coming or not. I will email everyone who is coming with address, directions, etc. Please provide a working email if your Gardenweb email does not work.

2) What you are planning to bring, be that plants, refreshments, and/or other garden-related items

3) Post a list of confirmed swaps you've arranged with other swappers

For newbies who have few/no plants, it would be so helpful if you brought refreshments, here are some suggestions -

Coffee

Sodas/Spritzers

Juice

Bagels & topping

Munchkins

Other snacks

Cups

Napkins

I have flatware, labels and markers for labeling plants and making name tags. Does anyone have a coffee table? If someone brought a table or 2, that would be helpful.

Hope that covers the bases. Have I forgotten anything? I'm looking forward to seeing you all and hope we have nice weather! Please see the post following this one for my info.

Comments (112)

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    15 years ago

ishareflowers, i will take all the pachysandra you want to bring - even bare root!

Ok on the 'Mona Lavender' for you.

Thanks
    Linda

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

whitegarden,
    somewhere there was a small miscommunication. I do not have lupine! Never tried it my life!
    Marie

• Related Discussions

wanted: PART 2-spring swap/barbecue/london/springbank park

Q

Comments (98)
    I have sad news about the Russian sage--I waited until tonight to dig them. They were each several inches away from the mother plant so I thought that they were seedlings. When I dug them they came out and it looked like they were actually sent out from the main plant. the one really had no roots and the other one had a few hairy type roots. I potted it up and it will probably get some good roots in a few weeks, but right now it looks really sad and droopy. I wouldn't feel good about trading it, so Signet, your Minnie Klopping hosta and Bev, your achillea cassis will have to either stay home or you can look to see if there is anything else that you would take for them. Please let me know if you see anything. I am sorry about this! :( gg
    ...See More

have: billerica/boston area spring swap info details

Q

Comments (66)
    Hi Fran and all: I just remembered this swap is happening and really wanted to come, but since I remembered at 11 p.m. tonight, I think I am too late. (I went on a field trip with my students for a week, and boy did I nap this afternoon after I got home from the airport!Meant to contact you for directions and I actually just woke up! Wow, can teenagers keep you running!) If for some reason any of you are late-nighters like me, I would love to attend. If not, have a wonderful swap and I will have to catch you all next year! I'm sure I will be talking to you all on the forum for all the advice I need with this new yard! Thanks Kathy
    ...See More

Billerica/Boston Area Spring Plant Swap Info

Q

Comments (45)
    Hi Kathy, Welcome to GW and so glad I've been able to help you. You are more than welcome to come to the swap with or without plants, seedlings. Believe me when I say there will be plenty of seedlings for the taking. And please bring your friend from Billerica as well. I only start my seeds outside with the WS method. Gave up trying indoors years ago because I never had any luck that way. Now, I have tons and tons of seedlings to plant. This year the seedlings are no doupt going to be smaller than usual because the weather has been so crazy, so don't worry about how small yours are. Sweet peas from a novice gardener? There a several of us that want to know the secret you have. I've been trying for years and this is the first year I've had any seeds germinate from the vining kind. Reminders of the swap will be on the thread on the exchange page. I posted the link for it above. As for what to bring, you can decide yourself and just let others know what you are going to bring on the new thread on the exchange page. We will all be out in the gardens digging and potting stuff up for the swap. One simple thing to use to pot things up with is styrofoam cups. I use the 8 oz and 12 oz size and you can label them by writing on the cup as well. Then they can be reused for next year. See you posting on the new thread. See the link above for the thread or just click on the exchange link at the top of the page. Fran
    ...See More

Greater Boston area Spring Swap

Q

Comments (128)
    paigect - I don't know what type the iris are as I got them off craiglist. I don't think they're siberean judging by images searches though. I'll definitely pack up some of the phlox for you. note to ishareflowers (well and anyone else who wants iris), my iris bloomed in spades this week but it came out yellow! So maybe the few paltry blooms I got last year were horribly washed out? I'll still bring some in case you want them but I wanted to give you a heads up
    ...See More
  • stoloniferous
    15 years ago

Ishare - you may want to do some research before digging those lady slippers. They are natives, and I am under the impression that they are a protected species and difficult to transplant. Sorry, that's all I know about them. Lucky you if you've got them in your yard!

FYI, Garden in the Woods does raise and sell them.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Stolon,
    I took one from my nephews yard a few weeks ago and transplanted it in my woody area, it has since bloomed and seems to be doing well. I wasn't aware that it shouldn't be touched!

Linda, I'll grab as much pachysandra as I can from my nephews side yard, he hates it! Thank you for the lavender.

I have a question for the plant swap pros, I have items promised to me and have promised items to others. when bringing the items to the swap should they be seperated into seperate areas like one for plants that are already taken and another area that's free for the taking? I want to have my things as organized as I can, it must get confusing if they are all mixed together.I thought that maybe I should have trays or pots that are taken and seperate trays for plants and pots that aren't taken.

Terrene, maybe you could tell me if you have a plan for that or not.I won't waste time organizing and labeling if there aren't going to be seperate areas for taken and not taken. Whatcha think?

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

bostonbound, I really would love an epimedium if you have any to spare. Are they the large yellow, or something else? Never met one I didn't like ...

Some of the cornus I dug are probably not going to make it. I have one that looks really good, which Idabean gets first dibs on. Whitegarden, please bring the alchemilla, if you have lots of it, and if you don't mind, because I haven't dug as many as I meant to and several people want it.

Terrene, the directions include several addresses - from Lexington to Wellseley, etc. I assume the one in Concord is the "target"? I edited the start address and found out it's about 2 hours from here. Not too bad.

• mcube
    15 years ago

I havent dug up the hosta or the daylily yet. My plan is to dig 'em up on thursday provided someone wants it. Like ishare mentioned, I dont want to end up bringing these back. Please do let me know if you need them.

m^3

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

DTD,
    I found a cornus kousa I had planted from a little sprig a couple of years ago. I will pass on that if that's the cornus you are speaking about.
    I will pass on the Alchemilla. Since I requested it, mine have matured into large clumps. I don't need any babies.

About the swap organization: here's how it has worked in the past at swaps I've attended, but someone may have a much better idea: We plant ourselves in a spot with all our stuff. You will want to label plants for individuals with their names, unless you just have a couple and can remember them. In anycase, find a way to remind yourself. The "open market" items I just placed to the front.
    Before the swap, people mingle and look at the goods. From name tags you will see people you've arranged to swap with, and if there's time you can take care of some that business. Just before we begin, everyone introduces themselves by real name and web-name. Each one said what they had for open swapping. Then people sort of mill around, picking up what was packed for them and what free items they wanted. The swapping happens casually...sometimes someone says...awwwh I wanted....and someone overhears and says "I have some I don't really need" and the first party might say...I have this extra...would you like some/" Towards the end a few of us have indigestion thinking about planting our haul and attempt to offload what we just on-loaded 15 minutes previously
    If you are an observer of social behavior, it is a treat to see how a large group of relative strangers organize themselves into a courteous fair-trade society. It really works.

Other ideas.

Terrene, we do have nametags don't we? If not, I'll bring some. Sharpies are better than ballpoint pen, at least for my middleaged eyes.

• mayalena
    15 years ago

Idabean -- I am bringing name tags. You want to bring sharpies?
    ML

• lise_b
    15 years ago

I am all out of 6" and 8" nursery pots. If you have a couple to spare I could put them to good use... for next year's swap! *smile* (I'm looking for a TOTAL of about a dozen.)

Also, looks like Buddleia 'White Ball' has been double claimed... looking back, whitegarden claimed it in a thread I'd said I wouldn't take reservations in, but earlier, and mcube claimed it later, but by email as I'd requested. We'll work it out somehow.

Kalmia 'Elf' is just starting to bloom in its pot. (For the record it's claimed! *g*)

I absolutely can't believe I got everything dug up and potted in time this year. Will wonders never cease!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Greening,
    good for you, I haven't done any digging yet! I took Friday off to dig and prep the plants for the swap.

Ida,
    I think I'll do as you suggested and label and keep seperate the plants that are spoken for.I'll leave the ones that are spoken for in the back of the truck and put the free for the taking on the ground. Thanks Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Greening,
    good for you, I haven't done any digging yet! I took Friday off to dig and prep the plants for the swap.

Ida,
    I think I'll do as you suggested and label and keep seperate the plants that are spoken for.I'll leave the ones that are spoken for in the back of the truck and put the free for the taking on the ground. Thanks Lisa

• terrene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Stoloniferous! Good to hear from you and that you're still coming. I sent you an email.

Digging, the directions I emailed focus on the Route you are are traveling on - either Route 2 east or west, or 117 east or west. Most people will end up getting here via those Routes, regardless of where they're coming from. I added "coming from Boston, Route 128, etc." so that people are clear which direction they are traveling on those routes and take the right turns. You can also mapquest or yahoo map to get here. It's pretty easy to find.

Ishare I will pass on the Lady Slippers - some are rare species, it is prohibited to dig them from the wild, and they are difficult to establish due to the fact they need certain soil/habitat conditions to survive, and have no idea if that is the case in my yard.

As for the Swap procedures, I figured people could unload and "plant" themselves (nice pun Ida) in a spot as they arrive. Get a name tag, refreshment, mingle, and start to give away the plants that are already spoken for. There are going to be a lot of people, and does it make sense to complete the pre-arranged swaps first to get some stuff out of the way?

After that, we can formally review each gardener's plants, but I was thinking there may be too many people to have everyone introduce every plant they've brought. Maybe a free-for-all at that point? But it's flex. I was thinking of rigging up a piece of plywood for extra plants on the small size. I've potted up a few extra seedlings.

I have labels we can use for name-tags, but please feel free to bring extras!

I plan to send out directions today for remaining confirmed emailers. Also have to nail down those refreshments soon...

The latest weather forecast is for Saturday to be HOT! But dry, at this point.

• deewah
    15 years ago

Can I come? I am a newbee and will bring lots of treats.

• stoloniferous
    15 years ago

1. So, yes, IÂll be there! At this point, pregnancy has sapped my gardening energy, so IÂm more interested in giving away plants than in taking more home with me. But I will gladly take home anything that I already asked for! My friend Jen will likely come along. Maybe she can take some of the plants that will try to follow me home? :)

2. Here is what IÂm bringing for whomever wants it:

More jack-in-the-pulpit seedlings. IÂve crammed anywhere from 3 to 8 to a container so that whoever takes one home is likely to get at least one male and one female. (TheyÂre more fun in groups.)
    Lupine seedlings (blue flowers)
    a few more jewel weeds

Hopefully IÂll have enough to send some home with any interested takers. Please speak up now if you want to reserve some. :)

3. Here is what I am bringing for specific folks:

Ishare: four pots of miscellaneous hyacinths (one of which I may have killed), lupine seedlings, two pots of skunk cabbage (if I donÂt forget them! IÂve had to keep the pots out in the frog pond so they would stay wet.), jack-in-the-pulpit seedlings

terrene  a whole flat of jewel weed! (Please be advised that given the right conditions, their offspring will be a delightful nuisance in your yard. But they are easy to pull up, too, if they start popping up where you donÂt want them.)

digginginthedirt  jack-in-the-pulpit seedlings

mayalena - jack-in-the-pulpit seedlings, lupine seedlings :)

Merrymountsarah, are you looking to trade that toddler for specific plants? Kidding, kidding! IÂm bringing my own baby in utero. If you feel inclined to share baby advice while chasing yours around, IÂll be all ears! This sounds like a good outing for the little one. :)

annsgarden  shoot, I wasnÂt going to request anything else, but your natives have me drooling! If still available, I would love some DutchmanÂs breeches and trillium! And I am tempted to ask for others, but had better reign myself in right quick. Would you like some jack-in-the-pulpit for those shady areas?

whitegarden  ah, the temptation is overwhelming! If not too late, I would love some of that creeping phlox! :)

ishare  Oh, no worries about the ladies slipper. Even if a plant is protected by law, if it is on your property, I believe legally you can do whatever you want with it. :)

deewah  hello and welcome! IÂm new here, too. They promised they wouldnÂt eat me if I show up, so I suspect you are welcome to come as well. :)

• terrene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deeway, newbies are welcome. Sent you an email through GW.

Stolon, that's great you are able to make it. When is your baby due? I am seriously thrilled with a whole flat of Impatiens capensis! I am very familiar with this wildflower as it is all over the place in the wild. But it prefers significantly wetter conditions than my yard, so hopefully my dry, well-drained, sandy loam will hold it in check! ;)

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

Is the "jewelweed" referred to the orange one common in damp areas woods, or the one that actually looks like a tall impatiens but with a smaller pinks, purples? Please don't dig any more up in your condition, but I'll be looking for them!

• stoloniferous
    15 years ago

Idabean - I have a few more jewelweeds potted up. They're yours if you want them. :) The ones I've got are the variety with orange flowers. Here's a link. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: also known as

• stoloniferous
    15 years ago

Terrene  I forgot to mention that IÂm due July 28. :) I currently feel like a walking water balloon.

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

No breaking water jokes allowed.
    I was late, late, late and tried rototilling, thinking I could shake that baby loose. No such luck. Terrene, have you got a chair the lady can sit in?

• roxanna
    15 years ago

hi, everyone -- coming out of lurkdom to say i hope to be at the swap but am not certain yet. if i can come, i can bring some tall phlox, leucojum 'Gravetye Giant', alchemilla, creeping jenny (someone wanted this, i think), and if it wouldn't totally frighten you to death, some white goose-necked loosetrife if anyone wants any (a fabulous flower but an utter THUG in the garden. BE WARNED!). don't know if these would be of interest to anyone...

• ejr2005
    15 years ago

Hi -

I'd like to come too, though I'm late as usual. Not 100% sure yet so I haven't wanted to totally commit. If I could have directions though that would be great. I'll bring some things to munch on - I'm thinking Gingerbread Construction muffins if I have time to get up there before the swap.

I'm pretty new and don't have a lot to swap, but would mainly like to see how this is done, meet some of you, and maybe pick up some gardening knowledge (like how do plants and dogs mix, and why didn't any of my 1-2 year planted rhodies bloom this year?)

I do have some probably not too in demand things like:

Common orange daylilies

Green hostas with lavender flowers

Yellow with I think magenta markings irises

Purple Spiderwort (I think)

What is probably yellow Evening Primrose that is taking over my front yard.

I'll go through ther posts this afternoon and try to list some things I'd want if they are still available. Mostly anything that likes some shade and won't try to take over. I'm also trying to do native as much as possible.

I can also bring lots of garden store pots, and cups, etc that are still needed. Terrene - what do you think is still needed? If someone is bringing muffins, I can do something else.

• stoloniferous
    15 years ago

Haha! Thanks idabean. :) No worries, I'll bring a folding chair along with me. And pregnancy jokes are fine by me! :D

Sadly, my friend Jen realized that she has a schedule conflict Saturday, so she won't be coming along after all. Maybe I can talk my husband into tagging along. . . if I can tear him away from his vegitable garden long enough!

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    15 years ago

Stoloniferous, you are due on my birthday! God bless you raising a Leo!

WG

• michelle32
    15 years ago

Stoloniferous, I would like to reserve some lupine seedlings.

Whitegarden, if you have any more creeping phlox I would take some.

Terrene, Do you have an approximate count on how many are coming? I plan on making scones (well, making my husband make them anyway.)

• terrene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Roxanna and EJR - I've sent you both emails.

Stolon and Ida, I have plenty of chairs, at least 4 or 5 folding chairs, but people can bring extras if they want!

Michelle, mmmmm home-made scones sound good - so far I have made contact with 20 people via email. Most are confirmed to attend, a few are still uncertain. Some people are bringing guests/spouses, and I've invited my sister and a neighbor, not sure if they are going to make it. And there will likely be some last minute cancellations, so I would estimate about 25 at this point.

Refreshments - so far here is what people have said they would bring: (feel free to fill in any missing details)

Mcube - Munchkins
    Jaydee - Sodas/Spritzers
    Merrymountsarah - Cranberry bread or Donuts
    Michele32 - Scones
    Mayalena - Treats
    Deeway - Treats
    Ejr2005 - Treats

I will go down to Starbucks in the AM and get boxes of coffee, cups, etc. Does anybody want decaf?

Card Tables - Mayalena and somebody else said they would bring one. Please do! The best I have is a piece of plywood on concrete blocks, that I thought I'd set up for seedlings and small plants for people to browse. Oh and maybe a small office table buried in the garage.

Any other suggestions welcome.

• lise_b
    15 years ago

In light of the weather forecast, does anybody want to bring a jug or two of water? Maybe some lemonade? :)

• michelle32
    15 years ago

I was planning on also bringing some juice but maybe lemonade would be better?

• ejr2005
    15 years ago

So here's my wish list with I think the people who offered (don't know if they are promised yet):

idabean - daylily hyperion, european ginger, white astilbe, geranium 'Spessart', sedum Autumn Joy

stoloniferous - jack-in-the-pulpit

diggingthedirt - ligularia dentata, lady's mantle, oakleaf hydrangea (or any other hydrangeas), siberian iris, peony

greening - kalmia, viburnum carlesii compactum, stella d'oro

whitegarden - chives, variegated hostas, lamb's ear, white creeping phlox, alchemilla

sharekk - columbine (pink, purple or white), baby liacs (any color)

ishare - sweet william

terrene - lemon balm

paigect - liriope

gfult - Jacob's Ladder

linda0210 - climbing hydrangea, siberian iris (purple)

annsgarden - cimicifuga racemosa, Dutchman's Breeches, goat's beard, lungwort, rue anemone, sweet woodruff, trillium, twin leaf

Don't go digging out anything new at this point, but if you have it and want to put a name on it, great.

If anyone wants anything on the list I posted above, please tell me. I'll probably be digging them out the morning of the swap. I also have a couple of plants that I bought that I'm a bit afraid to plant because they coud be invasive:

Lysimachia vulgaris variegated

Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra'

They both look really pretty, but as a new gardener, I'm a wimp. If you are more daring, or have a container, they're yours.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good afternoon :-)

Barring any unforseen circumstances, it is looking like I may be able to come on Saturday. DH will also be coming. We would love to see everyone again and to meet everyone that we haven't met yet. :-)

Since it was not possible for me to commit to coming any earlier, instead of making pre arranged trades, I would just like to list what I am bringing and what I would be happy to give a new home to. So if you see anything on my list, you can just catch me at the swap. Nothing is claimed at this point.

We started renovating our property about four years ago and it is a slow process. So our garden is still not mature, but it is getting there.

Here is what was divided this year...

2 chives
    2 NOID shorter Iris that are yellow and white
    1 Short Cherry Garden Iris that is a purple
    1 variegated hosta w solomon's seal growing up through it.
    1 stella d'or daylily
    1 Miscanthus Morning Light
    1 Native vine, Virginia Creeper [if you have room, it is considered invasive by some]
    4 Sedum Matrona divisions

I ran out of containers and had to put the Matrona divisions into plastic bags, and since they are in plastic bags, I thought it best to keep them in the shade, so they are not looking their best, although they are not wilting at all. It was a very healthy clump that I didn't have enough sun for.

The same with the Miscanthus Morning Light . It is the whole plant that I removed, because I just didn't have enough sun for it. It has new growth on it but again, it is in a plastic bag in the shade.

Also have unused seeds, mostly from last year or older, that anyone that wants to sort through them, are welcome to.

If possible at all, I would love to take home some native plants or seedlings as I am very interested in adding natives to our neighborhood. I do have to be careful not to add invasives though, as our property is small and we are trying to end up with lower maintenance.

I can see there has already been a lot claimed, but if anyone has any extras of the following, I would be interested in bringing them home.

Herbs
    Hens and Chicks
    Vegetable seedlings, esp tomatoes
    Variegated Hostas
    Epimediums
    Hellebores
    Native divisions or seedlings
    Dutchman's Breeches, Twinleaf, Virginia Bluebells would be those I could use the most.

Terrene, we can bring Napkins and Cups if that helps and if anyone would be interested in some home made Iced Green Tea? We can also bring a snack as well.

One last question...I was trying to figure out how long this annual swap has been going on? I know the first one I attended was at Marie's house and could that possibly have been in 2005? I wonder if anyone knows how many years the NE Forum has been having a Massachusetts annual swap?

Looking forward to Saturday. :-)
    Thanks terrene for hosting and organizing the swap. I know it is a lot of effort!

pm2

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Ejr,
    I would love the Japenese blood grass(imperata)! I will bring sweet william for you.

• paigect
    15 years ago

Hi all! I have to send my regrets, I won't be able to make it after all. DS is having health issues and, while I was hoping he would be better at this point, he isn't, so I just can't leave him for that extended period of time. I'm so sorry that I won't be able to send the things people had spoken for, and thanks to all of the people who reserved things for me - - I'm sure they will all find a happy home! Also thanks much to Terrene, the fabulous swap hostess.

Have fun everyone! Maybe next year!

• mcube
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I dug up some Iris and Hosta this afternoon.
    prairiemoon2, one hosta clump looks like this:
    http://www.letsgogardening.co.uk/images/x63/hosta5.jpg
    Would this hosta work for you?

I have lots of vinca that I can pot up if anyone is interested. Its an aggressive ground cover that puts on a show in spring with beautiful purple flowers.

I also have a good sized Japanese spirea. It looks like this only smaller. http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Jeff_Beck_1077121804_656.jpg
    I can dig it up and bring it in if anyone wants it.

Also, I am having a very difficult time dividing my threadleaf coreopsis. It is a pretty big clump - about 2 1/2 feet tall and 2 feet wide. I tried to dig up the whole clump and the root system is very tangled and messy. I could not tease it apart. Have you guys ever divided a threadleaf coreopsis clump ? Any pointers? It looks all droopy and unhappy now.

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

Annsgarden, I finally googled Dicentra Cucullaria - if you have any left, I'd love some. I shouldn't mention how interesting it looks, but I can't resist.

mcube - I don't think you can kill threadleaf coreopsis. I'd just keep it in the shade until Saturday. If it is really wilting, even in all this rain, you might want to cut it back, but I'll bet it will spring back anyway once it's re-planted. Also, don't drown it, sometimes I do that with divisions.

EJR - finally, someone wants a ligularia! Yay! I've got a couple potted up and will put your name on one (or more), and on an oakleaf hydrangea, after I count them up and check my "promised" list. The peony, I'm afraid, is already claimed (double-booked, actually) and there was only one left.

PM2 - I have some hellebore volunteer seedlings, would you be interested even if they're very small? Both h. foetidus (white, very early) and x hybridus (various colors, can't tell at this stage).

Not to anyone in particular, but ... I think the point of stating what you'd like has gotten uncomfortably out of hand, in at least one case.

The idea of asking for something, IMHO, is that it's helpful for the "givers" to not dig a zillion of something if nobody is going to take it, NOT that people will have lists of dozens of plants they've been promised.

This is a bit like Christmas, in that it's fine to state your desires, but it's not a trip to Walmart, with a list of things you WILL get. At least half the fun is talking with other gardeners and seeing what plants show up and follow you home - please don't spoil that.

If anyone is offended, well, sorry, that was not my intention. This has been a fun event for several years (Marie's was my first swap too, PM) and I know this one will be great.

Happy digging, all.

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

DTD Thank you for the second observation. I would like to explore this topic more after the swap, when I'm not so busy digging and potting.

• terrene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all, it looks like it's supposed to be hot, and yes water, lemonade, and iced tea (green or black) sound like they would be excellent beverages (I will still get some coffee from Starbucks). I have some of those bottles of Poland Spring (for guests mostly since I drink filtered water) and will stick a bunch into the fridge tonight.

Paigect, so sorry to hear you won't make it, and hope your DH is okay.

Mcube, don't know about that threadleaf coreopsis, it will hopefully recover. Bring it along, maybe we can hack it apart.

As for "wish lists", yes it is a little late for that - but I would hope people would be gentle about their commentary. At this point, people will bring what they bring. Sounds like there will be plenty to go around. I've potted most everything people asked for, but started digging nearly a month ago! Otherwise, I couldn't have gotten it all done. HOWEVER - people are welcome to dig certain things up if there's anything in particular they want (one advantage to hosting the swap! :).

Anybody else surprised by THREE days of drizzle?? I LOVE the rain, and we needed it badly, but I need to mow the lawn!! Well it's getting mowed today, wet or dry. Yikes. Hope it's not drizzling tomorrow.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

DtD...I would love some Hellebore seedlings, thanks very much! I only have two plants at this point and they are a pink, so a white will be nice and anything you have will be great. I have a lot of dry shade and they are one of the few plants that seem to be happy there.

Terrene, I can bring both, black tea and green tea. Do you need hot cups as well as cold cups?

Wish lists will be a great topic for after the swap, I agree. :-)

I am also loving this rain. So surprised to wake up to more this morning. I was dry as dust out there just before the rain, so this saved us a lot of sprinkler runs here.

Mcube...I agree, that threadleaf coreopsis are hard to kill. [g] I just divided and moved a couple this spring. They are mat like so I just dug the shovel right down through it. They recovered fine and I am sure a few days of moisture and a shady location will bring them back to life.

Thanks very much for posting the hosta photo. Very nice hosta. Let's catch up at the swap...

See everyone on Saturday.

:-)
    pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Oh, I forgot...Paige...I am so disappointed that you won't be able to come. I was looking forward to finally meeting you. Hope your son feels better soon. Maybe I will have to try to come to the CT swap next year. :-)

pm2

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    15 years ago

I totally agree about the "wish lists." Requesting a couple of things or expressing interest if someone posts that they are looking to focus their digging is one thing, but I am getting a bit intimidated by all this. We should just bring what we can and see what is there on the day.

I am loving the rain too except for one thing. It has seriously shortened my bloom time on my iris and Japanese tree peonies. They don't like getting this wet and are both drooping and soaking up the moisture. I took photos (before the rain thankfully) and will post soon if I can remember how!

Looking forward to tomorrow.

WG

• lise_b
    15 years ago

Paige, I hope your son is feeling better soon!

• ejr2005
    15 years ago

ishare - you've got the Japanese Blood Grass. I'm not 100% sure I can make it, so if I don't just email me and I'll get it to you.

If anyone else wants anything from my list tell me today and I'll dig it up in the am.

Sorry - I was one of the people with a long wish list - hope I didn't offend anyone. As a newbie I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

Hope to meet some of you in person tomorrow.

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

erj, I hope you can make it, this will be a really nice event! Swaps "stick with you" and add another dimension to the forum - and to the garden. Plants from GW members add something special to the garden - new and old friends come to mind with these plants in a way that things from the nursery don't evoke.

And, I also hope you did not think I was criticizing you - I wasn't, at all. Did not mean to offend anyone!

More digging ... I know it's been raining for days, but the soil about 6" down is still bone dry here.

• merrymountsarah
    15 years ago

Change of plans for me on the refreshment end of things - I will be bringing a blueberry coffee cake (storebought, I'm afraid) and also ICED COFFEE, with milk on the side. (I work at a fair trade coffee wholesaler and get coffee for free, so please don't spend much $ on coffee, if any, Terrene.)

Looking forward to seeing you all!
    Sarah

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

ejr...

I also hope you can come. I agree with DtD that you will really get a lot out of coming. I agree with you that as a newbie it is hard to know how these swaps work. It will all work out tomorrow and I am looking forward to meeting you!

:-)
    pm2

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

I just totally ran out of steam, and I'm sure I've forgotten some plants for people. But I have quite a few extras. The back of my husband's small toyota truck is nearly filled. I've never brought so much before. And you couldn't find where I removed plants if your life depended on it.

See you all tomorrow. So looking forward to putting new names and faces together.

• terrene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all! Posting a bit late, but it's been a busy day! I'm exhausted from working all afternoon and evening, mowing, sweeping, raking, digging a last few plants...also lugging all these plants over to the side yard. I worked until it was too dark to see, and at this point, not much more is going to get done and the gardens are what they are.

The weather looks like it will be partly cloudy, humid, and hot tomorrow. If the sun doesn't come out in the AM, the temperature may stay moderate, which would be good. At least they're not predicting rain for the morning!

Ejr, I hope you can make it tomorrow. It would be great to see you! One of the reasons the swap thread is started a month or so before is to give people a chance to pre-arrange swaps and organize their plants. I potted a lot of stuff, over time and did it while dividing or planting out anyway. No way I could have done it all just a few days beforehand.

And I hope that no one feels uncomfortable or intimidated about what is essentially a bunch of plants...and I'm telling myself that too, because hosting the swap is a little intimidating!!

Well at least there are a lot of blooms in the garden this time of year, although they're a bit water-logged at the moment. The Miss Kim Lilac is in full bloom and smells heavenly, but is drooping from the weight of the water.

Here's what she looked like 3 days ago, before the rain:
    {{gwi:1074261}}

And today:
    {{gwi:1074262}}

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Well it's after 10 and I just finished my swap prepping. I, like Ida have to take my hubbies truck. It's pretty full of green goodies in the back and the back seat is loaded with pots,garden treasures,plant markers and a few books. I look forward to meeting everyone in the morning.

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

I need a bigger car. My little Toyota is stuffed.

I just hope I have time to pot up a few more things in the morning ... although they'll have to ride on my lap.

• deewah
    15 years ago

2:20 AM I swear its like waiting for Christmas. I hope I don't oversleep.

• terrene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone! Hope to see all (most) of you in a few hours. Glad there's no precipitation falling from the sky at the moment although things are a bit damp out there.

If anyone has any last minutes issues, I will check this thread up until close to 10:00.

Ooooh I'm getting excited!!

• roxanna
    15 years ago

good morning, Sue ~ as it turns out, i am not able to come after all, darn it. i had forgotten that my DH has to work at the town's recycling center this morning. i was really looking forward to attending my first swap - especially as the location this time is so serendipitous! ah, well. i'm sure everyone will have a wonderful time -- hope the heat isn't too ferocious while the swap is happening!
    regards,
    roxanna