SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Tomato Plants In Wal-Mart in western North Texas

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

This is mostly a heads-up to folks along and near the Red River.

I found tomato plants at the Wal-Mart in Gainesville this morning. They must have just arrived because (a) they weren't there Sunday afternoon when I was there and (b) when we checked out, the cashier said she didn't know the tomato plants had arrived and was glad to see them. I expect she'll be buying hers this afternoon after she gets off work.

They had them this early in 2010, and then the February snow storm that arrived Super Bowl week froze them all because no one moved them indoors. That was true in every store I went to in Dallas-Fort Worth right after the Super Bowl. They all had let their early tomato plants freeze, and I couldn't find any for container planting for about another 3 weeks.

So, if you want a couple of early tomato plants and you live anywhere close to Gainesville, they have these varieties in the garden center today: Roma, Big Boy, Big Beef, Better Boy and Red Beefsteak. They are in 4" round peat pots and the plants themselves are only about 5 or 6" tall, but they are disease-free and pest-free and look pretty good.

I bought one each of Big Boy, Big Beef, Better Boy and Red Beefsteak and will pot them up into larger pots sometime in the next few days and will keep them in the greenhouse until the weather warms up a bit more.

These plants are less than half the size of the larger ones I usually buy in Dallas-Fort Worth in 5 or 6" peat pots in mid-February, but is is only late January so these naturally would be smaller.

The pressure is off now in terms of feeling like I "need" to find a few tomato plants to put in pots for earliest tomatoes. Now I can relax and wait for my own tomato seeds to sprout and grow.

Dawn

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor