SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

I'm Planting Tomato Plants on Thursday

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

How's this for a sign of spring?

On Thursday morning, I'll drag out the containers, add some compost, manure and Tomato-Tone to the existing soil, and then I am going to plant the following, one plant per pot:

Better Bush

Early Girl

Husky Red Cherry

Goliath

These are not plants I raised from seed, but rather are plants from Bonnie Plant Farms, purchased at the Gainesville, Texas, Wal-Mart yesterday, and now hardening off for the second day on the barn patio. They are in 3" or 4" tall, round peat pots. The stalks on the Better Bush, Husky Red Cherry and Goliath are about as big around as my little finger although the Early Girl is not nearly as large. Early Girl is sorta leggy, more leggy than I like, but I'll plant her deep and she'll be fine. She's never early for me anyway. LOL

With luck, and if I remember to carry these into the garage on cool to cold nights, we'll have the first ripe tomato between mid- to late-April, depending on the weather.

These plants have one purpose in life, and one purpose only--to give us the earliest tomato possible. Our supply of dried tomatoes is rapidly depleting and we're so hungry for a fresh, home-grown tomato.

Is it kind of early? Yep. Sure is. Do I care? Nope. These containerized tomatoes keep me sane until I can put my own plants into the ground in late March to early or mid April. The trick is just to remember to bring the plants inside at night and out in the morning.

I am so excited. Most years, the absolute earliest I see the tomatoes in the stores is the week after Valentine's Day and, often, it is a couple of weeks later than that. So, having them a little earlier than that this year is nice.

Dawn

Comments (2)