SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayalena

What's Blooming/Happening in your Garden?

mayalena
15 years ago

Hi all.

Like PaigeCT, I really miss Belle Isis' weekly "What's Happening?" post. Altho I was too busy in the garden to respond to Paige's post of 4/21, I hope we can keep this weekly thread going! I won't be around to start this post each week, but I hope others will jump on the bandwagon, so we can have a good regional dialogue.

First the flowers! Here in MetroWest Boston, late daffs have just opened, minor bulbs are still going, and tulips are mostly out. For some reason, all of my Chromacolor daffs quit this year...3 years after planting. They aren't crowded, just pooped, I guess! My Mohawk viburnum's pink buds are opening to fragrant, gorgeous white blooms. Lilacs fully budded and about to burst.

A Schlippenbachi azalea bloomed for the first time ever on 4/28. It leafed out prior to bloom, which I am surpised by. I thought it was the other way around. My Vaseyi azaleas have lucious pink buds on them, and look ready to open in a week or so. Bleeding Hearts are in full bloom. Minor bulbs, namely Muscari, are still going strong. Woodland ephemerals (sanguinaria canadensis, jeffersonia diphylla) are gone already, but Pulmonaria 'Trevi Fountain' is still lovely.

As to what's happening: I've put in 4 new raised beds, and started Asparagus in 2 of them. I put up the nursery bed and put all the baby shrubs from the Middlesex Conservation District sale and this year's Bluestone purchase in it. I've divided and potted up a few things for the Greater Boston Swap. I've tried to clean up the side yard, where I throw everything I don't feel like dealing with usually. I had 2 dead magnolias removed, and started a bird, bee and butterfly garden there. I've taken down the hummingbird feeder, and put the suet feeder back up! I've spread a little compost and reseeded the bare spots in the lawn. Finally, I've been stirring my compost and it's *hot*. It also appreciates the rain.

It's been a busy couple of weeks.

What's blooming/happening in your garden?

ML

Comments (31)