SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pallida_gw

Oklahoma Deer

Pallida
12 years ago

OK. I am sure, by now, that it is obvious that I am a transplanted "city gal". I have years and years and years (never mind) of experience in flower gardening and know my perennials, annuals, sun-loving, shade-loving, drought tolerant, fragrant, butterfly/hummingbird attracting, tall, short, etc. plants pretty well and have had to deal with mostly clay soil and invasive Bermuda everywhere I've lived, BUT, I have NEVER had to deal with DEER. All of my life, I have thought they were adorable, and I have a "live and let live" attitude about wildlife, BUT, with another growing season rapidly approaching and Spring Fever coarsing through my bones, I can hardly wait to get back outside and get dirt under my fingernails. Between the incredible "furnace" Summer and the deer last year, I had really sad looking flower beds. I have already yanked out plants, such as roses and daylilies that seemed to be at the top of the deer menu and planted a few cacti and succulents, but am wanting some attractive blooming plants that don't, neccessarily, appeal to deer or rabbits. I have searched the Internet, which tells me that different deer have different appetites, so, my question to those of you who are familiar with the Zone 7 deer, is what are some deer resistant, blooming plants, as I simply don't have the budget for electric or very tall fencing. Sprays didn't seem to do much good last year. I do so want flower beds that are healthy and eye-appealing! Country gardening is a definite challenge. I have all kinds of respect for rural gardeners, and the pioneers who fought the elements and the "critters" and settled this country!

Jeanie

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert