SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Suggestions for purple-leaved small shrub

Well, this is the last dying gasp of my mission, and I'm not expecting much, but here goes.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a small shrub about 3 to 4 feet high and about 4 feet wide, that has purplish leaves, is preferably evergreen (ever-purple?), does well in half sun-half shade, and is low-maintenance? I don't think such a thing exists.

I put in a foundation garden for a friend which has Gold Mound spireas which have taken over the world. So much for size descriptions. There are two on each side of the center door. In between the spireas is one Chicagoland boxwood.

The spireas obviously LOVE their spot and are huge and gorgeous. Unfortunately, the boxwood is just not as dark green as I thought and doesn't contrast well enough. (They're also smaller but I'm hoping time will fix that) The beds also have hakone grass, Captain Kirk hostas and purple heucheras. Everything is growing very well and looks quite nice against her blue house. It's just a bit too much chartreuse.

The street she lives on must have been landscaped all at once when the houses were built, or the neighbors are all copycats, lol, because many of them have the same plants - actually makes for a rather surprisingly nicely coordinated street! (My friend had nothing, by the way, except two cherry trees.)

On the street are lots of barberries, and she likes them. I've told her they are invasive and I believe banned in CT, but I can't help thinking how perfect these would look between the spireas. But its not to be...

So, I have looked through old threads on several forums, including the shrub forum, I have googled, and I just don't think there's anything that fits my criteria.

But as a last-ditch attempt, can anyone suggest anything at all?

I'm considering weigela Midnight Wine, although being so small I may need to put in a few in each spot to maximize impact. they're also not everpurple, but I don't think anything is.

Which makes me wonder if I should be looking for something dark green and evergreen instead. Which would be a hard sell because she doesn't like hollies, which I think would be the darkest thing.

On a side note, I'm thinking of euphorbia Bonfire as an accent plant in these beds, although the color I'm finding on nursery websites nowhere near matches the gorgeous purple & chartreuse color in a photo posted by someone on GW. Anyone have experience with this plant?

Ideas?

Thanks. Sorry for the rambling.
Dee

Comments (10)