SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

What is your 'ideal' raised bed for gardening?

p_mac
13 years ago

Since last year's attempt to enlarge the gardening area was so overwhelming, we're going to be building a couple of raised beds on the east side of our house. We plan to place them far enough apart that the mower can go between and around them. It is also my intent for the house to shade them from the intense west sun in the summer months. (better for tomatoes?)

I'm curious as to what any of you are using and the size you've contructed. So far I'm thinking of raw wood for wall material. Fits our budget, but can I use linseed oil to lengthen the life of the wood? How deep would it need to be to grow carrots? 20"? And is it a "must" to remove that danged bermuda from underneath? Could I just lay weed-block fabric at the bottom and come up the sides a couple of inches to prevent it growing up thru the dirt?

We have 1 large pile of compost and another large pile of mulch left over from last year that we plan to use to fill them. Probably going to have to add some other stuff too but like what? My sister has saved her raked leaves for us which we'll put thru the chipper and mix in also. (so far she has 8 55 gal bags full and that's just from the front yard!)

Aside from planting too much, the battle with the bermuda and the gophers made last year's garden no fun at all. I really want to avoid it this year and I'm hoping this would be a workable solution. Any advice before I tackle this is MUCH appreciated.

Paula

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting