SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devin_mendoza

Premade Raised Bed soil - is this mix ideal?

Devin Mendoza
9 years ago

Hello,

I've decided to go with raised beds after a good bit of reading on here. I will be growing mainly tomatoes and a small variety of other veggies. (6) 3'x6'x14" beds.

Now, I wanted to try and make the ideal loam with 5-10% organic matter but I'm pretty much limited to what I can haul around in my 5 ft truck bed.

There is a local Living Earth a few minutes from home that sells a premade mix that is:

'Planting Mix For building planting beds, our Planting Mix is blended from our finest materials, including compost, screened mulch and sand. This material is ready to use and designed to build the raised beds found in many landscapes. Planting Mix drains well, yet retains the moisture plants need.'

I don't know the ratios yet but it's a good bit different that the plan of Loam+OM.

Thoughts? Should I try their mix or make my own from what they have?

They also sell topsoil and several grades of sand, as well as compost. I can source a couple of different bagged composts (composted cow manure, mushroom compost, Living Earth compost, and a Tri-mix with mushroom/horse manure/wood compost.)

This post was edited by DevinM on Tue, Dec 23, 14 at 16:50

Comments (13)