SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sydneye_gw

Suggestions for a disease resistant climbing rose?

sydneye
12 years ago

We have a very large arbor (about 12 feet long and 4 feet deep, and about 8 feet tall) that I would like to grow some plants to drape up and over. I do have one evergreen climbing hydrangea which is situated on the east side of our fence and gets quite a bit of shade, but on the west side of the fence, it gets late morning then full afternoon sun. I have been looking around at different roses, and had seen the Zephirine Drouhin climbing rose. I liked that it was a vigorous grower and was thornless (considering the arbor has a bench underneath and I have a 4.5 year old...), loved the bright blooms, and that it was heavily fragranced. I did however do some research and find that it can be quite affected by powdery mildew. Given my close proximity to the Puget Sound, I was concerned that even though the rose would get a ton of sun and good air flow, that we might have big problems. Does anyone know whether or not this variety would work for us, or do you have any other recommendations for a more disease (black spot too, since we get a lot of rain) resistant rose that would be vigorous, and possibly thornless?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!