SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Tell me about your healthiest, most disease resistant roses!

SoFL Rose z10
6 years ago

I find only the toughest, most disease resistant roses do well for me here in south Florida and I'm only interested in trying out the ones that are truly healthy. For me it's been mostly the Kordes roses, but Some of the meilands have also done well as have some of the weeks roses famous for health.

Sweet Drift is bulletproof here. Anywhere I put it it thrives. Even in partial shade.

Other wonders here have been florentina, Toulouse Laurent, heritage, tupelo honey, roxy vigorosa, Roxanne veranda, cream veranda, wedding bells, pope JPII, grande dame, Beverly, princess Charlene de Monaco, Julia child, red riding hood FT, teasing Georgia, duchess de Brabant, Chrysler imperial, violets pride, dick Clark, pat Austin, Evelyn, Bordeaux, spirit of freedom, prosperity, Windermere, plum perfect, posoidon, red and pink traviata and the faun.

Major "healthy " roses that have been utter failures for me have been: all the simplicity roses, Granada, Sheila's perfume, sugar moon, golden FT, gentle Hermione Fiji, savanah, truss an acuteness, summer romance (great bush, no blooms) and countless others.

What have been your healthiest roses? Which 'healthy' roses didn't live up to the hype?

Comments (47)

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    6 years ago

Interesting that Chrysler Imperial does well by you, but not Savannah. Do you use antifungals?

Have you tried Sea Foam?

• berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Abraham Darby-no rust at all like I was warned about. The bugs love him as health food though.

Jude-same a Abe, no problems except bugs.

Madame Hardy got a little rust but not terrible. My Souvenir de la Malmaison is three or four years old , a foot tall, hardly ever blooms. Still worth the space for now.

• Related Discussions

Which of these intensely fragrants are most disease resistant?

Q

Comments (19)
    I grow lots of the roses you list, but I do spray monthly and have no disease problems at all with any of them as long as I have had them and am faithful to the spray schedule. Here is what I have found out about these roses when I have been behind spraying for several months like last Fall when I was in hospital all Fall season. 23x Double Delight (creamy white swirled with strawberry red) NO MILDEW OR BS WHEN NOT SPRAYED-GREAT ROSE 23x Mr. Lincoln (dark red) CAN MILDEW WITHOUT SPRAY 15x Fragrant Cloud (coral red) CAN MILDEW VERY SLIGHTLY 13x Chrysler Imperial (burgundy red) FAIRLY RESISTANT 13x Gertrude Jekyll (rose pink) 13x Jude the Obscure (honey) 10x Crimson Glory 10x Lemon Spice (patel yellow tinted pale pink) 9x Abraham Darby (Austin, apricot blend) 9x Francis Dubruiel (dark true red) 9x Papa Meilland (dark red) WILL BS AND MILDEW W/OUT SPRAY 8x Evelyn (Austin, apricot pink blend) 8x Heirloom (dark mauve blend) VERY GOOD RESISTANCE FOR ME 8x Rose de Rescht (vivid fuchsia) 8x Secret (white tipped pink) WILL MILDEW W/OUT SPRAY 8x Sharifa Asma (Austin, pearly pink) 8x Sunsprite (bright yellow) GET JULIA CHILD INSTEAD!!!! 8x Sweet Chariot (purple blend) 8x Tiffany (pink/yellow blend) GREAT RESISTANCE/GREAT ROSE! 7x Angel Face (1968, dusky mauve) PM AND BS MAGNET FORGETABOUTIT!!! 7x Melody Parfumee (deep plum fading to clear lavender) VERY RESISTANT AND HEALTHY. WONDERFUL BLOOM AND FRAGRANCE. 7x The McCartney Rose (ruffled, few petals) FAIR RESISTANCE 7x Yves Piaget (Romantica, hot pink) 6x Granada (yellow, orange, scarlet tricolor) BS AND MILDEW 6x Just Joey (clear apricot) 6x Mirandy GOOD RESISTANCE 6x Scentimental (white striped with red) VERY GOOD RESISTANCE AND BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANT BLOOMS FOR ME 6x Secret Garden Musk Climber 6x Zephirine Drouhin (cerise pink) MILDEW!!!!!! MIGHT I SUGGEST YOU TRY JULIA CHILD, DAYBREAKER, OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE, AND POPE JOHN PAUL II FOR GREAT GARDEN ROSES? I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD BE SORRY.... JOHN
    ...See More

What are your most disease resistant Teas?

Q

Comments (11)
    Patrick, I'm in VA and experience very hot, very humid summers. I've been trying MANY different varieties of Teas and China roses, and I grow them all totally no spray. I can't comment on size of the bushes because my roses are still so young, and, in their first spring after their first winter in my garden, they got severely set back from that peculiar Easter freeze. Just now are most of them really starting to show some decent recover. That said, here are somein the more pink range that seem to be doing very well for me: Comtes du Cayla (I LOVE this rose) Maman Cochet Mme. Antoine Mari Mrs. B.R. Cant William R. Smith Jean Bach Sisley Spice Caldwell Pink (polyantha bloom machine) I'm noticing from my master list, that I grow too many yellowish Teas...oh well. Robert
    ...See More

Please give me two to three disease, rust resistant rose bushes!!

Q

Comments (32)
    I know! Which is why I bought 3 bushes. One of them, in my perennial bed gets bs late in the season but the other two get bs to the point that I am considering removing them. I don't have any trouble with my Kiss Me or Sunrise Sunset, Kashmir, Como Park or my Weeks rose Drop Dead Red. If you want a good hybrid tea style red rose Drop Dead red and Kashmir have been good in my bs magnet garden in humid hot SW Ohio at the height of summer. i have had good luck so far with all my Kordes roses and with Belinda's Dream ( touch wood).
    ...See More

Tell me about your most underrated roses!

Q

Comments (42)
    I have a couple that are under rated. One is Medallion. I got my original in a body bag from KMart years ago. Of course at that time, I did not know that roses needed 6 to 8 hours of sunlight and that they should be on the East side getting morning sun. So what did I do, I planted him at my office on the west side of the building. I built a little retaining wall right up next to the building over part of the black asphalt parking and filled it with dirt.... yes a bad idea, but he doesn't seem to know it. He doesn't get sun til about 2 and when he gets it, he has to deal with the heat and reflection of afternoon sun off a white building. He is a TROOPER and puts out beautiful large blooms. Doesn't get black spot. Though I guess, I just learned he will never get to be a queen because he will never have a high center, but he will always have my heart for those huge buds and flowers..... my 2nd under rated would go to Regatta, because I have friends who shovel pruned theirs, but mine is putting out bloom after bloom..... The only thing about her is I wish I would have put her in a different spot, because she gets BIG and she has thorns.... lots of thorns, and she is right by a doorway.
    ...See More
  • irisgal_z9
    6 years ago

I don't think 'Colette' has ever had blackspot or rust. Sawflies love to lay their eggs on her. Plant so she can be viewed up close.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    6 years ago

'Blue for you' has been a superb performer in S Central TX. No disease, everblooming, fragrant, and heat tolerant. 'Marie Pavie' has been disease resistant, fragrant and heat tolerant also.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Berrypie - (love your name!) Your Abe pics look amazing!! The first one is heart stopping!

Carol

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A few I find exceptionally disease resistant that are not on your list: Belinda's Dream , Lavender Crush, St Patrick , Francis Meilland , Gemini

Here is Lavender Crush:

It is now a big shrub, and not one leaflet has ever had any disease, including Blackspot, which I find quite amazing in my climate.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

DA Windermere, DA Queen of Sweden, DA 'Wedgewood Rose' are healthy. Kordes Kolorscape Fire Opal, Kordes Honeymoon, Madame Anisette, 'Caramella Fairytale' , Cream Veranda and 'Quick Silver' are all very healthy but still small since they were all just planted either last summer or this spring as bands or small own roots from Chamblee's or RU. 'Julia Child' has good disease resistance here and winters over pretty well. The own root seems to be healthier than the grafted one I have but this could be due to location. The grafted gets less sun. 'Lady Ashe' a climber introduced by Peter Beales is very healthy but hasn't met her stride yet. She's flowererd a couple times for me but is still young. The roses are pretty and have a nice scent. She seems very vigorous so I think she might be one of the best in years to come. 'Bolero' while disease prone is one of my best for flower production. She's not very winter hardy but comes back every year to put on a nice show. Own root seems cane hardier and far healthier than the grafted ones. And her scent is divine :-)

Sharon

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

Blushing Knock Out and Caramel Fairy Tale (Caramella). Floral Fairy Tale is pretty good (doesn't defoliate), and Rosenstadt Friesing holds leaves until September. Marchesa Boccella can be hit or miss depending on the weather. It is good this year.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do not spray, no. I have and will on the most humid parts of the year but my goal is to stop all together.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    6 years ago

I don't spray. I don't see rust or mildew here but blackspot is bad. Everything can blackspot here if weather promotes it, including knockouts.

Amber flower carpet is healthiest. It's nothing fancy, but almost never blackspots, blooms in generous flushes and this spring it even had a fragrance that wafted. I've had it for 4 or 5 yrs. It's hard to call a 4'+/- high (maybe higher- the deer have kindly "pruned" it) and 5' or so wide rose a "carpet". But better than a KO here.

Teas as a group are generally healthy. I try to plant them in at least 6 hrs. of sun here. Chinas seem to prefer my east facing bed. They are healthy there but it's hit and miss if planted elsewhere. Not sure why. Polyanthas as a group are my most reliable. I can plant them in sun or partial shade, or in a difficult spot with no feeding or no added water and they'll grow. They may blackspot here but most grow past it and still send out new growth and bloom. They'll grow much better with good care, of course.

Hybrid teas tend to start to die as soon as they cross my property line. Ditto English roses, except for Munstead Wood. Its an odd duck, gawky grower, loses leaves when its hot, but still grows and sometimes blooms. Floribundas and minis are a mixed bag. I like minis and like to take chances with them. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.

Westerland is the only climber I grow but I grow it like a shrub. It's too close to an oak tree but grows well enough and usually disease free. I've had it for 18 or so yrs. It seems to me that this is a rose that would prefer colder winters. Polar vortex and other cold winters seemed to be no big deal but long hot summers seem to shut it down. I need more climbers.

Of the roses you mention- Cream Veranda and Plum Perfect are here for the second summer. They were both in pots last year till the weather broke. Plum Perfect still is. They are very healthy, no blackspot so far. Shy bloomers but they're young yet and have had a rough start. Julia Child is a lovely rose here. This is her 3rd summer. She blackspotted for the first time as pressure has been high this summer, but hasn't stopped blooming and growing. She's a favorite. I have lots of favorites.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You know, I do think theres something strange about the fact that Savannah has not grown for me. Its been a little band and stayed that way for about a year, but I do admit its not in the best spot. However, it is sitting right next to Wedding Bells, Roxanne Veranda and Bordeaux and all three of those are thriving, so not sure what to think of it.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do grow Collette and Belinda's Dream. Both are very disease resistant, yes. I forgot to mention them. Collette is still very small and the chili thrips seem to love her, but otherwise, she is disease free. She just hasn't grown much thus far, but both (i have 2) are small bands planted just this year.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    6 years ago

I realize being from Illinois that I don't have much to offer you. I do have Americas most disease resistant roses. None of my 100 varieties has black spot nor powdery mildew. Every single one of them has anthracnose. They had some anthracnose in year one and a devastating outbreak in year two.

I slowly but surely eliminated nearly 400 roses many years ago when I stopped spraying. So you can imagine my joy at finding that all are susceptible to anthracnose. Heck at least the leaves will fall off the roses with black spot and cercospora spot. It is likely that where you live and the extreme heat and humidity that cercospora could well be your problem.

Sad to say that as long as my weather stays as is anthracnose will never leave. That weather would be constant dew, high humidities and very cool nights. Basically no one can help me with varieties. Heck every variety mentioned above is a no go here as a no spray rose.

I wanted to speak up before but I did not. I can also tell you that Plum Perfect is a wonderful rose as long as you do not live where downey mildew is a problem. So sad to say I'm spraying fungicides again until I can figure out what to do orI give up.

Have you considered the possibility of planting drifts of the roses that work well for you? I'm still fit to be tied.

6 years ago

Oh and once anthracnose reared its ugly head my previously 10 year clean Cream Veranda. Yep she caught it.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have Patty, I have been removing ones that dont do well and replanting with ones I have had luck with. But i'm on the lookout for new one that may do well here.

I forgot to mention Summer Memories (Kordes). This little rose is still tiny, i got it this spring from RU. Its only about 1x1 ft, but its full of healthy leaves and even the insects seem to leave it alone. I dont get it. Some roses get decimated by chili thrips, but a few (Sweet Drift, Summer Memories, Wedding Bells, Prospertiy, Grand Dame, Teasing Georgia,) don't seem to be affected as much or at all. Sweet Drift doesn't get any of it, not disease, not insects, nothing, it just grows and blooms and never stops. Its a miracle here, I dont know how it does it, but it does.

6 years ago

SoFL

I sure wish you the best on your hunt. For me Pink Drift is the one that gets nothing Insects nor disease and the foliage is always pretty.

• ebharvey1
    6 years ago

Black spot is really the only disease I encounter here in coastal CT and almost all my roses get it, even allegedly disease resistant ones like New Dawn. However, Madame Anisette and Earth Angel have never shown even a single speck of it, even when surrounded by Austins that were heavily infected after I went on vacation and didn't spray them for a month.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I may try madame Anisette. I heard it was a shy bloomer (my EA is a bit too) but EA has been such a trooper and at only 1 year old she's grown into a happy full shrub with lots of basal shoots. I have a feeling she'll do very well in the next few seasons. I think I'll give Madame A a try.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Moses- I had just the opposite experience with Quietness, wimpy and disease prone. But her flowers were lovely and her scent was heavenly.

One Madame Anisette has two buds on her!!! She was planted as own root from RU last summer. My other one was really gangly so I cut her down to about 8 inches per Chris' suggestion and she is filling out nicely and very healthy. Earth Angel has some blackspot but has flowered well for a young own root plant.

Sharon

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did grow Quietness and it did fairly well for me. It did have good disease resistance and was planted in a not-so-great spot. It lived for about 3 years and had one really good year but then it slowly faded out and died. I may try it again in a better spot and with better care. Maybe it will be a better rose for me. :)

6 years ago

My Quietness was own root and not virused as far as I could tell. She was spectacular until I moved it. She had a tree like root system. Poor baby never recovered.

• kublakan
    6 years ago

Since when are you a no-spray garden?!? Girl, you are crazy, lol. In all seriousness, it's a natural progression for many rossarians in South Florida. I can't give up on the pretty flowers just yet, so I continue to purchase replacements for roses that haven't passed yet.

My suggestion: Louis Phillip and most roses with small leaves. It has occurred to me that the smaller the leaf the better it does in our weather. Ruby Ice is one I bought own root in Wally World last year that has yet to show any signs of slowing down; it has small leaves. Belinda's Dream is all over my yard given her super rose powers of fighting BS; it has small leaves. Cinco de Mayo is a huge bush in my garden, twice, and, yes, it too has small leaves. Roses in our climate with jumbo leaves just don't fare that well; to much surface area to attack, I guess.

-Adrian.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've been cutting down on my spraying little by little. I do spray for chili thrips though. And I will cave in and spray once in a while this time of year LOL. But I have had so much luck with some of the Kordes roses that look so good, even now, that I think there has to be good roses out there that will survive in my garden without the constant spraying.

I do have Louise Philippe. I don't care much for its blooms but I do admit when it has a big flush it does look lovely. The red really pops.

I have to spray for Chili Thirps, that's just going to have to happen at least 4-5 months out of the year. I can put up with them a little but I can never let them get out of hand. They will decimate the garden if kept unchecked! (How I hate them!!!)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    6 years ago

Don't know if my zone 6 experience will be of any help for you. I have grown two roses on your list--Chrysler Imperial and Pope John--and both just had average, maybe slightly above average, resistance to blackspot.

But if you want some suggestions, here goes.

OGRs:

Mystic Beauty -- a Bourbon that is nearly identical to Souvenir de la Malmaison; is perhaps my most BS resistant rose and possibly my most continuously blooming rose. (I think Souvenir de la Malmaison has similar good traits, but I have never grown it.)

Ghislaine de Feligonde--just let her sprawl to her hearts content over a fence or arbor and she will take care of herself.

The Fairy--polyantha, smaller rose--kinda like a mini. No BS.

--------------------------------------------------

Several of my Austins do quite well as far as BS goes.

Queen of Sweden--very good;

The Wedgewood and Munstead Woods--above average, and perhaps also Molineux--though it occasionally needs a bit of an assist when BS strikes.

Olivia Rose Austin has had no BS problems at all.

--------------------------------------------------

Other Roses:

Home Run--floribunda--very BS resistant; flowers are singles; good re-bloomer.

Toscana Vigorosa--a low sprawler, planted around the base of my birdbath. No problems with BS.

Love Song--hybrid tea. Still fairly new in my garden, but has had few BS problems.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

I spray biweekly . Right now after the rainy season ,almost all roses have some degree of disease ! My Savannah is newly planted but keeps shooting long canes .It has bloomed a little .

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    6 years ago

Flamenco Rosita, Rosanna, Plum perfect

Poseidon, First crush, Summer romance

Florentina, Queen of hearts fairy tale

Golden fairy tale, Cream veranda

Dark Desire, Soul sister, Mother of pearl

Star of the Republic, Purple Skyliner

all are completely clean and healthy in my hot humid Maryland summers, no spray

SoFL Rose z10 thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • ValRose PNW Wa 8a
    6 years ago

I don't spray and almost only grow own root roses.

I've tried a lot of Buck Roses and the one with the cleanest foliage for me is Aunt Honey, though not quite as clean, I do like Polonaise and Quietness.

I love striped roses and the healthiest that I have ever grown is Deanna Krause

I'm always on the look out for a healthy good yellow rose and my favorite is Marco Polo

My best hybrid tea hands down is Dame de Coeur, a very dark red

My favorite tea roses are Mrs. B.R. Cant and Rosette Delizy, but almost all teas are disease resistant. I also like Duchesse de Brabant and her sports Madame Joseph Schwartz and Miss Caroline, also Mrs. Dudley Cross, and Baronne Henriette de Snoy.

Two outstanding climbing reds are Rhode Island Red and Cadenza.

Ivor is outstanding in my garden, very clean always in bloom and an indescribable hot red pink color.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Florentina, out of rosenheim, Olivia Rose, Beverly, flamengo Rosita. Darn clean is Dick Clark and Ingrid Bergman

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Earth Angel, clotilde soupert, Sombrueil, TG, mme Anisette, MAC, quicksilver, plum Perfect have never had PM or BS.

A touch of BS: lady of Shallot, Heritage, first crush, buff beauty, bolero, sharifa (on Fort), Eden, rosette delizy, cream veranda, guy de Maupassant, lady emma hamilton, margo koster.

Mystic Beauty gets some PM but no BS.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anyone grow Francois Rebelais? The romanticas tend to do well for me, down here, I like the look of it :)

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have Ivor's Rose (aka Flamenco Rosita) and it never blooms. Its very healthy but not flowers. Same as my Summer Romance :(

• pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

I’m also trying hard to get to a no spray situation by replacing existing roses little by little with more disease resistant ones. I never thought my climate would allow for fragrant, no spray roses until these newer Kordes came along. Previously, Drift and OSO landscape roses were about the only roses that could be grown no spray here. Some of my new Kordes will spot, but so far not enough to worry about. Other than the Kordes, these are the moderns that I haven’t seen mentioned yet, but so far are doing well without spray in my garden: White Gold, Apricot Candy, Delightful Phyllis, Easter Basket, Dee-Lish, La Rose de Molinard (a favorite of my new roses for scent, bloom power & disease resistance), Prairie Breeze and Prairie Sunrise. I also want to second Valrose’s praise of Aunt Honey…not as fragrant as I had hoped, but a great bloomer and very clean here. On another thread, I saw Ken mention Remember Me as being very bs resistant for him…anyone have experience with that one?

OGRs have been a mixed lot for me…my sole rugosa, Sir Thomas Lipton, is probably the cleanest rose I grow, but what a thorn thicket! Otherwise, even my teas, noisettes, HMs, polys and chinas have fungal issues, but not as badly as my HPs, portlands & bourbons. I’m concentrating more on replacing the moderns en masse now, though, and only removing some of my worst antique offenders…will deal with them as a whole in time.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

La Rose de Molinard is very intriguing. I wonder where I can get it. Palatine grafts on multiflora so I cant purchase from them.

• pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

I forgot about Florida's problems with some rootstock. I did get mine from Palatine...not sure where else to look. I had never heard of it before seeing it on their site last year. I've been trying to go own root as much as possible with my new roses, but didn't see another source for La Rose de Molinard.

• WildWhiteRose
    6 years ago

I am in a warm, California climate, but the grafted Tahitian Sunset I've grown for a few years has mostly clean foliage. Any blackspot that develops does not spread around very much on the plant. I have not seen powdery mildew on it and a slight amount of rust was likewise shrugged off by Tahitian Sunset.

Justin

SoFL Rose z10 thanked WildWhiteRose
  • ValRose PNW Wa 8a
    6 years ago

This spring I added some Pioneer Roses from Antique Rose Emporium's breeding program. So far "Star of the Republic" is outstanding, good fragrance, color is a peach orange, form is quartered. Looks like a David Austin. It has been very disease resistant, but is known to be susceptible to rust, so not a rose for some regions.

I wonder why Ivor won't bloom for you, is it grafted? Mine is own-root from Chamblees.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    6 years ago

Pat reminded me that I overlooked Easter Basket in my above list. Occasionally spots a bit, but no major BS problems. I second her nomination of Easter Basket.

Kate

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

One not mentioned is pretty in pink Eden . Mine had been really clean all summer ! Growing like mad too . I really don't know what I'm gonna do with it ! Haha

lots of great suggestions here . I am bookmarking it for sure

• fragrancenutter
    6 years ago

I find that the disease resistance of a particular Rose improves with maturity. For example my Frederic mistral used to be a mildew magnet when young but now it gets very little and only at the end of the season. Dolly Parton also became more resistant to blackspots and mildew when older etc

• subk3
    6 years ago

Mother of Pearl so far has been spectacular for me here in BS heaven. Some yellowing leaves deep in the base where most of my roses can't even keep leaves. Flamenco Rosita/Ivor's Rose has gotten a little more BS that last year but it is never with out blooms and I'm still tickled with it. I've 3 first year Bucks--Quietness, Carefree Beauty and Earth Song that look very, very promising. I also have a very clean Buff Beauty that's was a band this spring and growing like gang busters. If I can keep a tea alive through the winter they are all mostly good, Duchess de Brabant and Reve d'Or are the only ones left here. Martha's Vineyard is pretty good, but its hard to complain about one that is flushing strong in August. Also new this year that is looking promising is Carmella Fairy Tale (that was the most pathetic band I've ever received) and Swany, but both are still pretty small. I do not spray at all and I am in middle Tn.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Deanna Krause has been a very tough rose in my hot so. CA climate, no disease whatsoever, and after two years is beginning to bloom more. The blooms never fry in the heat, and it makes me want to try more of the Pioneer Roses from the Antique Rose Emporium.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Mother of Pearl is doing great here too in bs heaven Massachusetts. I had totally forgotten even where I planted her until I noticed a bud poking between the branches of my Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangea. She's a bit scrawny from the competition but I have potted her up and will place her in a location where she can shine. Even though the flower was half spent it still had a sweet scent clinging to its petals. I'm anxious to see how much better she performs when she's not suffering from neglect :-)

Sharon

• nchomegarden
    6 years ago

From my Rainbow collections I got from Spring Hill and Gurney's, Take It Easy has been very healthy and robust. As has Ch-Ching, Twilight Zone has been nibbled on by the rabbits, but otherwise healthy. Violet's Pride has been very vigorous, but has had a few yellow leaves. Top of the World has been the most prone to yellow leaves and BS, but it also is in the worst spot, so may be it is not actually as bad. Easy to Please has also shown good resistance to disease. Sunshine Happy Trails had some cane die back and has regrown, but also has a few yellow leaves. Cupid's Kisses is quite vigorous and has a few yellow leaves. Pumpkin Patch has grown well, but now starting to lose bottom leaves and some BS and yellow leaves.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

Somehow I forgot PJPII and Love & Peace. They're not just disease resistant, but also bloom like crazy. Here they are, I've only had each plant for 5 months:

• sharon2079
    6 years ago

Oh no SoFl, I bought Sugar Moon on your recommendation and from smelling it in your garden..... I tried it and I liked it so much that I bought another one. Both of them are staying healthy. I really don't understand why some of the ones that do well here don't necessary do well for you and vice versa.... Maybe it is my salt air or something. I think you said you got rid of Regatta, IT is probably one of my best performers. However, I thought I killed it. Someone told me we should cut back to a third, I think I must have misunderstood and it was to be cut back only a third. For the longest time it was touch and go but it pulled through. Even in this heat it is looking good, no chilli thrips. When it blooms it blooms!!! Another one that I have that is healthy (from disease) is Outta the Blue. However, it does get spider mites If I keep washing it off it is also a big bloomer for me. I also have Dark Desire that is happy - no disease or insects. However, it is super super thorny and not a favorite in the garden. Believe it or not it is an own root . I do love the flowers in a vase if I feel like being attacked by her. I always feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz and the apple tree scene. Another one that I would claim that is pretty happy here in Florida is Distant Drums. She too is an own root. I figure it they do own root well here in Florida, it must be a toughie.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah Sharon, My first Sugar Moon died. Then i got another and it too is looking dreadful. I think i'll try putting it in the front yard as I get more air circulation there. Go figure.
    I got rid of my Regatta because i only ever gave me deformed blooms. She was healthy though, I kinda regret not giving her more time now.