SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooey_gw

Pruning my Yews?.

sooey
12 years ago

Hi Kids,

All of a sudden, Cape Cod is into the gardening season. I have been having a wonderful time this week, getting the largest of my gardens into shape and ready for the blooming season to start! Mulch is down and all is beautiful.

My big project, one that I hope to get to this weekend, is pruning some very large, very overgrown Yews. I would like to cut them back almost all the way...as in...back to the nub...their woody centers. I am very sure that they will survive and by this time next year, I will have very small but very green little schrubs in front of my house. I am going into this project with the thought that, if they survive, great, if the do not survive, great. I am open to both results. These are the original Yews that were planted as foundation plantings back when the house was first built in '75. I have pruned, cut and trimmed as needed but over time, they have taken over. They don't look awful but I think they could look much better.

My question for all of you...is this still a good time for a project like this. Still early enough in the growing season to allow them to set new growth?

Thanks, Kids. I am always so happy to have good weather back so I can be out in the yard with a garden tool in my hand.

sooey

Comments (8)