SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Garden Center Inventory Levels

triciae
15 years ago

I've noticed a rather significant reduction in inventory levels at my local garden centers as well as our local-owned hardware store this spring.

Over the past two weekends we've made trips to the garden center for things that would normaly be no-brainers.

About 5 months ago, I was diagnosed with lupus. Gardening is more challenging for me now. I wanted to purchase one of those Garden Buddy carts that carry tools as well as have a seat for when I need to rest (which is frequently now). We went to 4 different places to no avail. I had to resort to ordering online & paying shipping. :)

Next, DH & I decided our main garden purchase this year was going to be a pair of matched large, tall copper planters (40-48" tall). There are 3 local stores that usually have a wonderful selection. This year, nothing but small pots. Again, I had to order online & pay $38 shipping. Ouch! They are beautiful though.

Third, I need a new pair of hand pruners because of my lupus. I need a good pair with cushioned hand grips & ratcheting blades. All I could find were cheap, plastic pruners in the $10.95 range...all Made In China. I've not purchased anything yet.

With the price of gas, I don't want to drive 50 miles each way for hand pruners! So, I'll probably again resort to an online purchase.

When looking for the planters DH asked the manager why they were no longer carrying their usual selection. The manager told him that they'd had such a dismal '07 season plus today's economic headlines they made a company decision to reduce inventory levels for this season.

This was on Mother's Day. They had people standing in line 10 deep trying to order flower bouquets. The garden center had actually RUN OUT OF FLOWERS because they'd so reduced their inventories. People were angry because this garden center has been in business for 50 years & people depend on them.

The selection of broad-leafed evergreens was pathetic. On Mother's Day weekend one could reasonably expect to see a nice variety of azaleas, rhoddies, etc. Nope, just a few PJMs & the standard 'See All Over Town' rhoddies. The perennials were mostly quart pots...very few gallon-sized. The hosta selection was almost non-existent. Even their annual selection was reduced to bare bones standards like pansies, impatiens, etc.

Anybody else noticing lack of inventory?

/tricia

Comments (7)